Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm new to motorcycles and want to get into a nice sport bike. I am planning on taking the MSF course in a week or two depending on when the next class is.

A couple questions I've had are:

-Do I need a bike for the MSF course or do they have ones for you to use? (and yes i've checked the site and couldnt tell)

-I've got like a $3500 budget and was wondering if I could get into anything for that much, like bike, couple months of insurance, helmet, leathers possibly and anything else I would need.

I am looking at getting into a 400-700cc bike. Any model that's a good bike thats cheap? Where should I buy dealer or privately? Used or new (i dont think im in the price range for new)

Thanks

P.S. I searched for almost all these questions so posts like search dont help if u could link a thread if there already is one that would be great....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
They supply the bikes (125 or 250cc) at the beginner MSF class.

Try looking for used Honda CBR600 F2's or F3's.. or I guess a Kawasaki Ninja 500. You could probably get one of those and still have money to spare for gear. I don't know how much your insurance would be.

·
Registered
217 Posts
a private seller would be the cheapest route (if you can pay cash), but make sure that you have someone, that knows bikes, go along with you and check it out.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Looks like you are from Michigan, then I assume you are taking the MSF course at Macomb. They have little shitty Hondas there, so you won't need a bike. The bikes do the job though...you'll learn everything you'll need. This is your first bike, well I suggest not getting anything too overwhelming or too powerful. You budget will work great and should be able to find a decent bike.

You should meet up with some of us in Royal Oak on Thursday night. We are in a club
Redline Superbike and we also have a forum here in SBW. Stop in and say hi.http://sbw.sportbikes.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=256. Lots of riders from your end of town...Fraser, Roseville, Warren, Clinton Township, and the like.

We ride with a few MSF instuctors. In fact, they helped set up the MSF ERC course for our club. We have a good relationship with those folks. Post up and let me know who you have...

Anyway, welcome to SBW, lots of good info here. Hope to see you in the Redline forum.:thumb:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
omg thankyou for such a helpful response....

I'll deffinatley look into meetin up with you guys. Maybe you or someone could go with me to buy a bike so I dont get screwed or a crappy bike.

Any idea how much MSF costs? I'm calling them Monday the one in Fraser but just curuios.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
xboxdynasty said:
omg thankyou for such a helpful response....

I'll deffinatley look into meetin up with you guys. Maybe you or someone could go with me to buy a bike so I dont get screwed or a crappy bike.

Any idea how much MSF costs? I'm calling them Monday the one in Fraser but just curuios.
If memory serves, I think the class is $25 dollars. Not sure on enrollment, those classes usually fill up pretty quick. I know that Schoolcraft College does MSF too. Check them out if MCC is full.

Someone will be more than happy to go with you to assure that the bike is mechanically sound. We have many people that wrench on bikes in our club. Not to mention the ones that think they know what they are doing (like me).:twofinger

We are remodeling Bluto's shed in his back yard to make it the "Redline Shed". After it is done we plan on having some tools in there like a tire changing machine/balancer, hand tools, stand, and the like.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I can't remember how much I put into sport, because I took out oil change and gas out of the equation (lots of gas).

Anyway, the key here to save bulks of money is little bit of research and patience, e-bay, and websites like newenough.com

Teknic full leather jacket w/air hump (2003 top of the line for Teknic) - ~250.00 w/shipping (can't remember exactly, but it was much less than $300 or what you'd pay in dealerships) - ebay

Tekinic Lightning GP gloves - $85.00 w/shipping - newenough

Suomy Spec-1R (top of the line 2004 for Suomy) helmet - $195.00 w/shipping

First bike - 1990 Yamaha FZR600 (yup, 600 CC sportsbike) w 14K mileage - $1500.00

The bike needed a lot to repair, so -

Parts - ~ $400 w/shipping

A-hole mechanic who scammed me and wanted more money - $220.00

Bike had an oil leak, so ate lots of gas even when sitting.

So, met a new friend who helped me fix up the bike, and then I rode it for a few more months, and sold the bike for $2000.00

And now I ride my current bike, SV650.

So that's about ~2700.00 that I got started with, plus a box of spare plugs and oil and filter. I didn't get boots or pants at the time, so it was less than what I'd expect from total package.

So if you get a good bike and shop wisely on the gear (get great stuff on bargain), your expenses should be within your budget.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool that breakdown was great...

I've got a thick leather jacket but its just a jacket not geared for ridding. Do the jackets differ such that a normal one wouldnt do much to save ur skin?

Dont want to trade in my skin to save a few bucks

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
xboxdynasty said:
cool that breakdown was great...

I've got a thick leather jacket but its just a jacket not geared for ridding. Do the jackets differ such that a normal one wouldnt do much to save ur skin?

Dont want to trade in my skin to save a few bucks
There are many types of motorcycle jackets. Some are made with textile and have armor in them, and some are made with leather. I suggest leather with armor. I have a few different ones I ride with now. All have armor and some have kevlar stitiching. I feel most comfortable in my leather, but it gets hot this time of year. I have a textile jacket with nice armor in it that I picked up for $165. You could literally spend $500 to $600 dollars on a top end leather riding jacket. But I do suggest a riding jacket with padding inside at minimum. I strongly recommend a jacket with armor.:2cents:

·
Registered
227 Posts
xboxdynasty said:
Hey,

<snip>

-I've got like a $3500 budget and was wondering if I could get into anything for that much, like bike, couple months of insurance, ... <snip>
I think you will find it difficult to get insurance for just a few months. Most insurance companies are not providing semi-annual policies anymore (at least in Michigan). You can get a policy and cancel it at the end of the riding season which will entitle you to a refund. However, I'm not too sure how many times you can pull this off with the same agent/company.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've heard of some people getting "weekend insurance" for their cars which is something like they can only drive x amount of miles in a week.. I'm not exactly sure. I guess you could see if there's something like that for bikes.. not exactly the best option but if you're strapped for cash you might want to look into it. I don't know if it's only something a few insurance companies do or what, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure about your area, age, etc... but I just got liability only on my F4, and pay $128 a year. The benefit of paying cash for your bike :cool:

I remember back in the day, my first motorcycle cost me like $48/yr for liability... was funny actually :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts