Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I just wanted to say I took everyone's advice and bought a 1993 kawasaki ex 500 with 14, 000 miles on it, for $1,200. As opposed to buying a new gsxr 600 as my first bike. I just got it today, and have been riding it on a private backroad, and all i can say is holy sh&t, this thing moves and I haven't even run it past 8000 rpm. I can already tell this is a wise decision for a first rider, and I now understand why everyone does not advise new rider's to get new race bike's. 600cc's and up. Anyway thanks to all.

p.s. Do you think I got a good deal, or average.

tjvtsportsman

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Goof bike & good buy. Have fun & ride with care & smooth handeling.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well its hard to say. you can check the retail value on www.nada.com What kind of shape is it in. That is really low miles for a 93 bike. Execelent choice but just remember that thing will get you in to trouble just like any 600cc bike. The price sounds good to me and since you are allready riding it thats even better. Ride the hell out of that thing and try to take care of it so you can get your investment back. When you are ready to upgade. Good choice, have fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It sounds like a good deal, as the bike appears to be running great. NADA and KBB just give you the average retail and wholesale, so a bike could be worth much more or much less......to you.

I had a friend a few years ago who had a jetted ex500 and it was very quick. He would always outrun my SecaII, which was a 600.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Sounds like a good buy. I would not be surprised if you sell it a year from now for the same price or more, than you paid. I think they kind of hold their value, because people get them for learning and then move on.....who could really pass on that cost, for something they know they are not going to keep for more than a season or two. If people try to down it and say it can not keep up with the newer bikes, I know an old man ( Dad) that can run his daughter 500 in WV all day and have the newer, bigger bikes, chasing him all day long. Good buy, enjoy it!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i appreciate all the info. I thought it was a good deal as well, because I got it from the original owner, it has brand new tires, fresh tune up, etc, and it is in really good condition.

man i'm thrilled.......................... tjvtsportsman

·
Registered
518 Posts
tjvtsportsman said:
i appreciate all the info. I thought it was a good deal as well, because I got it from the original owner, it has brand new tires, fresh tune up, etc, and it is in really good condition.

man i'm thrilled.......................... tjvtsportsman
That last statement says it all....that's all that really matters, good luck, have fun and ride safely. With that head on your shoulders and your maturity you should enjoy this sport (addiction ) for many years to come!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Definately a good buy since you obtained in from the original owner & he has taken care of it.

Do the same & when you decided to upgrade then you will find it sells at a good price.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Congratulations Sportsman! Sounds like you did good! :thumb: Take it easy. There's a lot to learn and a lot of fun to be had.

See guys, some listen and benefit. It's still worth the effort.:) I suspect that for those who take the time to investigate and read this stuff and not just rush out and buy on emotion, you've helped out a lot of people over the years.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal to me. And you made a good choice by using an inexpensive bike as your first.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Awesome!

Sounds to me like you got a helluva deal! That's a great bike for a great price. Although you should be able to happily ride this bike for several seasons, when you do move up, you'll likely be able to sell it for the same price as what you bought it for.

Don't worry about keeping up with anyone, that 500 will do just fine. And since the bike is so manageable and user friendly for a newbie, you'll learn more quickly and easily. As an example, I have 3 friends, all of whom were new riders at the same time. Two of them got CBR 600F4i's, the other got a Ninja 500 like yours. The 500 rider has learned SOOOO much faster than the other 2 guys. He already dusts the 600 riders badly out in the canyon corners. Pretty funny to watch!

It is so refreshing to see someone on this board that actually heeded the advice given here. Honestly, I was beginning to feel somewhat cynical and was close to giving up on responding to any more "What bike for a newbie" posts. Seeing this has made it worthwhile again.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i thank everyone for all the replies. the bike is running great and i love it to death. I would strongly advise other newbies to start out on something small and manageable, it is a very wise decision and everyone on here will tell you the same. It's tough, but you have to fight your emotion and get over the idea that you want to look cool on your brand new bike. You may look cool to some people, but for those who know how to ride, they will be able to determine your lack of skill and probably be able to blow by you and out corner you on a zuma scooter. I can definitely see this smaller starter bike is going to help me out in the long run, and that's what was most important to me; knowing how to ride well.

well i'm buring up riding time typing on here, so i'm out

......................tjvtsportsman

·
Registered
471 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Take it slow and steady and i bet in no time you'll be leaving new riders on 600 bike in the dust!

Speaking of new riders and 600cc bikes, I found this great post on another fourm (see below). It's a first hand account of 'what can go wrong". and congrats on the bike again!

-chris sedition

Dropped my 40 R6...

"Man, I have only had it for like two weeks and been riding it everywhere with no probs. The other day, i was leavin an apartment complex the same time as a few of my friends were and decided i would leave kinda quick. When i hit second gear i gave it too much throttle and the front wheel came up--all the way up!!! I watched my bike slide out in front of me desroying the tail section, left mid fairing, left rearset, left signal lights, left mirror, left clutch lever and barend. Keep in mind that as I'm watching this happen i am sliding on my bare hands and arms, stomach. Well it wasn't too bad when it was all said and done. ER visit, second degree burns/road rash on palms and arms. 4 weeks of physical therapy, doc says there will be almost no scarring. About $700 worth of damage to the bike,well a little less but i decided to upgrade to flushmounts, integrated tail, fender eliminator, custom race solo tail. I'll post up some pics when i get them."

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
ER visit, second degree burns/road rash on palms and arms. 4 weeks of physical therapy, doc says there will be almost no scarring....but i decided to upgrade to flushmounts, integrated tail, fender eliminator, custom race solo tail.
Yet surprisingly no mention of his plan to "upgrade" to gloves and a leather jacket. :squid:

Anyway, congrats on the new bike (to the threadstarter)...I plan to do exactly the same thing when I'm 18 next year. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
Yet surprisingly no mention of his plan to "upgrade" to gloves and a leather jacket. :squid:

+1

Not even a HINT of "lesson learned". Just "that wasn't so bad, I could survive that AGAIN".:rolleyes:

Back on topic:

Great buy, it'll end up being a free bike as you'll get ALL of your money out of it when you sell it if it's in the same condition. In fact I'd say if you were patient you could make money if you wait for the right buyer and right time as that bike was sold very cheap IMHO. Where I live that bike could easily touch 1800-2000 even with moderate cosmetic scars if it just ran well.

Now head for the hills and find out why we love corners so much, how far to Georgia?? Take it slow and continue to be smart like you already have shown yourself to be but isn't it kind of flat and straight around Orlando??

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts