Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the guy here is too big "looking" for the bike. 6'4" @ 190lbs. I've seen this question alot lately, and no pics, so does anyone else have any pics? and opinions?:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
that does look a little to small for him, sadly he is my size, but I am 225lbs, and no I'm not fat, just built. everyone keeps telling me to start on a ex500, but I am way to big for that, I sit on it and it feels like a toy, not to mention I can bottom out the shocks on it, I need like a 750-1000, I'm now looking at the katana 600, it has a big enough frame to support me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm 6'6 @ 190lbs. and I ride a ZX7 and it seems to small for me. I started off on a ninja 250 back in '92, and worked my way up. I didnt care what other people said about my being to tall for the bike, the fact was I was riding and they wernt. I'm at the time where I'm thinking about the zx12r.

·
Registered
560 Posts
He's too large for the bike, look at his posture, in particular his lower back is too bent over. Over the long haul, on rougher roads, this dude's going to have some bad back problems.

SilentNEKO: I would recommend that you go check out a variety of used middleweights that are more general purpose, rather than sport focused. They are easier to handle, in particular at slower maneuvering speeds. They also have better ergos for a big guy like you. You might consider looking at a Bandit, Katana 750 (the 600 will likely cramp you) one of the myriad of Hondas produced over the last 10 years, or something of that sort. A friend recently picked up a sweet mid-80's KZ-1000 with some nice suspension upgrades, fresh tires and a small bubble fairing, all nicely color-matched for $2500. He's been out of riding for a few years and this was a great choice for returning. I figure he'll ride it for this season, then upgrade to a late 90's sportbike. He'll also likely get every dollar back when he sells it.

Good luck in your search and ride smart.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have any pics of tall people on bigger bikes? Is there really a big difference, does it really "stretch" the rider out on the bike more comfortably? :confused:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm not looking to buy new by any means, all the bikes I'm looking at are from 85-94. I didn't notice a difference in the katana 600 and 750, maybe power but the frame seemed the same. when you say honda which bikes do you mean, like a vfr, or a cbr, ok so the bandit seems nice, but I want a bike with a full fairing, is there any place that makes fairings for naked bikes, and how much do they cost. so far the old kat 600 is my front runner, I can get one in ok shape for 2k, what else ya got?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tahoe said:
You might consider looking at a ... Katana 750 (the 600 will likely cramp you)
:confused: But the 600 & 750 are the same size.

·
Registered
866 Posts
hey tammy, thats what I thought, I saw no difference in the 600's and 750's except for the ugly stickers. so you ride a tls1000, how big are you if I may ask, I mean how tall and how much do you weigh, if you want you can include measurements ;) , you don't have to answer, just wondering what it takes to toss around a bigger bike

·
Registered
560 Posts
Kat 600-750... :rolleyes: duh Kev, my mistake.

If you're shopping late 80's, the VFR's are quite nice. Also, not to raise anyone's ire or anything, but a Concours is a really nice machine, fairly competant in the mountains (there's lots around here) excellent ergos, bullet-proof motor, excellent fairing (bags too) and good parts supplies (if ever needed). One nice other aspect is that used, they are a terrific bargain, largely due to the fact that they are owned by mature riders and rarely if ever abused. You should be able to locate a nice example for $2-3K.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think the Power Ranger outfit makes him look so goofy. I'm 6'4, too, and I've seen pics of me riding my old F3 in jeans and a jacket, and I didn't think I looked that cramped. I can't imagine I look really cramped on my F4i, either.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The bottom shot shows him bent---

---to the extreme & in a slouched form. So I go along with Tahoe in this one about future back problems UNLESS he already has that posture in his back.
So many of us in the late 40s & early 50s learned to ride on dinky 125cc 2-strokes with something like 6 hp & would upgrade to something like a 350 single & so possibly 15hp to a next step being a 500 in a twin or single so now around 30hp. Still both 350 & 500 were with a LOW saddle height of only 29" & a more upright riding postion, NOT a lean to the forward due to flat bars or even worse being low set clip-ons, nor rear sets so by making the postion cramped & leaning the rider to the bars.
Into the bikes of the 70s like normal UPRIGHT riding positions ---- just think of a Honda four or any of the competitive Japanese bikes then. Which is the answer to a tall rider.
FAIRINGS? That is another story as a few of us imported them from England for our 'cafe racers' but then most of us were rather short in the arse so height was often a problem & the same to-day.
Some of my old riding friends, in the 50s to the 70s were tall chaps of 6 to 6'4" & a few of them put low riser so the bars would be a bit higher for their heights -----mind you they rode in a upright postion common on all bikes bar some cafe racers we were churning out. Do that to a present sportbike & there is a costly problem along with possibly hands hitting the fairing.
I would say look at the latest in the 'skelton' or bare bikes that are coming out on the market ------ I know it does not offer a fairing, but one cannot have the cake & eat it in some cases.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont care if I look like a total idiot, my concerns are comfort and safety. I feel comfortable on it, and love riding it, and I feel as safe and in control as "possible". I'm wondering are the bigger bikes that different, do they have any more room that is noticeable?

·
Registered
195 Posts
The lad in the picture needs to scoot his arse forward on the seat and it'll straighten that hump in his lower back and dramatically improve the bike's handling in the process. If that interferes with his view of the clocks due to the screen, he needs to check into the price of double bubble windscreens.

SilentNEKO,

I'm 5'12" and 1xx pounds. Although a TL1000S isn't all that big a bike, sizewise; about the size of most 600-750's.

·
53 Posts
Tamara said:
The lad in the picture needs to scoot his arse forward on the seat and it'll straighten that hump in his lower back and dramatically improve the bike's handling in the process. If that interferes with his view of the clocks due to the screen, he needs to check into the price of double bubble windscreens.

Agreed, to a degree. He (Mortifer?) needs to scoot forward, move his feet back on the pegs, AND bend his arms at the elbows, which will probably put him back in a crouched position. Riding with your arms straight makes turning the bike pretty damn difficult.

All of the current class of race-replica sportbikes, 600s to 1000s, are all pint-sized, except for the ZX9R. But if you're happy with the F4i, the effort needs to be directed at correct riding posture.

I don't necessarily believe the talk about back problems. Exercise goes a long way towards making a body able to adapt to the *correct* sportbike riding posture, which, if you are any bit over 6', or maybe less, means you are going to be crouching.

-Pete

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys for the honest opinions, I was only going 15mph and thats why I was so upright, and that was 3 days after I got the bike (my first street bike). I'm normaly crouched more, elbows bent and feet back, and its very comfy. When your layed all the way down over your tank, doesnt your back have an arch to it? Thats not a good pic of my normal riding posture, my back is pretty straight most of the time. and I sold the power ranger :rolleyes: 1 piece after I got the bike cause I wanted a 2 piece set-up. So does anyone have any pics of taller people on on bigger bikes, I'm still wondering if there is a big difference.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 200 pounds.... haven't looked in a mirror to check out what I look like on my 98 zx6, but... maybe I should?? LOL

It feels comfortable to me... guess that's what matters

1 - 18 of 18 Posts