Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. ladies....and gentlemen......
My brother is such a HATER....that when he saw me looking at a motorcyclist mag he started runnin' his mouth and telling me I could NEVER get a sportbike:finger:
He rides an old bike he got for free....fixed it up and calls himself a novice:mad:
This is precisley why I would never have voluntarily told him how much I want to ride....I knew he would shut me down I KNEW IT!!!!:finger:
Sorry..... I don't mean to yell....;)
The point to tellin' ya my life troubles is this.....Is anyone or know anyone who rides who is only 5 feet tall?
And if so ....what do they ride?
This is why I want to find some of my fellow SBW people to join up with at Laguna simply because if he found out before I made my plans he would rip me to shrrreds in front of everyone:(
SBW never makes me feel the way my own friends and family does....
O.k.....whoo....almost lost my cool there:D
Holla back
Nico;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am assuming that you've never ridden before? You still have options! I started out on a Honda Rebel (seat height 26 inches) because I had thought I was too short for a sport bike. Its nice, easy to handle... great to learn on, but yet, not a sport bike and a dog of a 250.... Ninja 250's are short in comparison to other sport bikes, but you will probably not be flat foot being 5 ft tall... (I am 5'2.5 and I almost had my heal down on my Ninja 250)Yet there is hope! You can lower pretty much anything you decide on, even a ninja 250. I looked every where for help in this area and found the dealership guys useless (probably cause they can touch the ground! So they don't care) But as you look around you will find people who've done it. Adjustment Tech had an article on them done in one of the sportbike mags (can't remember which one, but I got their #) Anyways, the ride height adjustment link is like 195 bucks and takes about an hour to install. You are replacing the stock link. It doesn't effect the handling, like some other lowering techniques would - such as straps for drag racing bikes would... Since you lower the front forks to equal what you dropped it, its all evened out... Alot of race bikes front forks are dropped a bit for the purpose of turning in quicker. Just lower the front 1 inch would give you height, couple that with the adjuster gives you even more. You can shave your seat... or buy a custom seat with high density less height in foam from Corbin to suit you. I fit pretty poor on my CBR stock- teetering on tip toes- which can be done, alot of girls (and guys) ride that way, but now I am flat footed and bent in the knee. I feel more confident and in control of the bike with it lowered, center of gravity is lower and you have 2 feet totaly touching for better stablitiy (especially for panic stops...) If you do lower it, keep all your stock parts so if you sell it, you can return it to stock for the person who buys it who may not be so short. It all depends on which bike you have your eye on, and how you want to fit on the bike, but you do have options, and little girls can ride big bikes, I have seen plenty, even on stock bikes, they manage and learn to handle it and deal with tip toeing.
Don't let anyone get ya down, if you are in love with the idea, get out to your MSF class- then you'll be too hooked to turn back, and it'll only get worse! But it is alot of fun and worth your efforts!
Hope this helps,
Sheri

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
There are lowering kits available for a lot of sportbikes nowadays, just make sure that you do it correctly and lower the entire bike, not just the rear. The handling doesn't change significantly (from what I understand) if it's done properly.

As for your brother, ignore him and chalk his attitude up to the small few of male riders who are dickheads stuck in the stone age. There are plenty of women riders out there, and quite a few in Northern California. Look them up...

For World Superbikes, start cruising either Chat or Daily Rider, I know that Tahoe was going to post an SBW bbq/ party at the top of the corkscrew one of the nights (hopefully before Cannery Row too!) There will be a ton of us there, it's just a matter of finding us. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jane,
I'm 5'3 and ride 01 f4i. I am getting lowering links put on but i ride fine now the difficulty is in uphill starts.
Tell your brother to kiss your attiude mine too for that matter. Dont let him get you down. Go shopping check out the different dealer sit on a few bikes find your comfort level. Youll be great
smile

·
Registered
193 Posts
My advice is more towards middle ground. I have had friends over the years buy 250cc bikes and love it, and some that were bored in a month. Personally, I would say go with an older 500 to 600cc bike.

None of the newer sportbikes will probably be comfortable because of the higher seat height (I still don't understand how putting the heaviest item on the bike [THE RIDER] higher makes it handle better). I would say go for an 80's or early 90's bike. Here's why...

First, you can get one under $2000. Second, if you fall, you didn't trash a bike you're still paying on. Third, best bang for the buck. Fourth, performance will be fine for quite a while.

I'm personally fond of the 500 Interceptor and early CBR Hondas. They are comfortable enough for long trips and handle good. Both are just about bulletproof.

Try finding and sitting on some older bikes, I think you will fit them better. AND, if you get a 500 Interceptor, I'll give you a killer seat!

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Hey Jane...

I, too ALWAYS wanted to get on a sportbike, but my ex told me I was too short and that girls souldn't be on bikes anyway (unless they were on the back) :finger: Darnit, tho... I WANTED a sportbike (preferably a Honda)... I'm 5'1"...

My current got me an '02 Buell Blast, perfect to start on as it was short (low profile seat, 25.5", I think), got down the basics, blah, blah... got bored in less than 100 miles... bought him an '02 XX and he gave me his '00 F4, we took it to Lindemann Engineering and I went from tiptoes to solid balls of my feet and ride that thing like a maniac! Lindemann is in Campbell and they were able to give me 1 & 3/4" more.

I agree with waynofzr tho, start cheap! We're trying to dump that ^^%*& Buell now, still owe over $4k on it and I won't ride it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am 5'2-1/2" and about 105 lbs. fully geared, and I currently ride a 00 Ninja 500 (my first bike). I can touch completely flat footed on both sides. I am currently in the process of selling this to upgrade to an F4i. Don't let somebody tell you that you can't ride because your too small. Go to your local kawasaki dealership, with a supportive friend, or by yourself, and sit on the bikes. See what fits you the best. The 250 or 500 Ninjas are both excellent beginner choices. Aprilia also makes an awesome 50cc bike. Max speed is only about 60 mph, though. If these do not fit, find a Rebel or something to learn on, and once you're confident with you skills, upgrade to something larger.
Good Luck! ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Aprilia also make an excellent 125cc single cylinder. Cagiva Mito 125. Honda NSR 150. all are light, really light and all are 2-stokes, yeah they're high maintanence. The up side is there cheep good looking and you can corner like you wouldnt believe. Handling these bikes is so easy.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Billy2stroke said:
Aprilia also make an excellent 125cc single cylinder. Cagiva Mito 125. Honda NSR 150. all are light, really light and all are 2-stokes, yeah they're high maintanence. The up side is there cheep good looking and you can corner like you wouldnt believe. Handling these bikes is so easy.
Also unfortunately not imported into the US and almost impossible to make street legal if you do get your hands on one. :crying: Since GI is in California, they WON'T allow them to be licensed for the street. Sorry! :(

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
I think the Ninja 250-500 would be best. Buy one used so you don't lose a lot of money if you change your mind, or if you dump it. (you will, all of us have).
The Aprilias are not for beginners, completely unsuitable IMHO. The power band requires you to change as fast as you can.
Don't let anyone intimidate you. Do it on your own!

Aris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YOU GUYS ROCK

I have NEVER been more depressed in my LIFE.....and you have no idea how much better I felt when I read your responses:)
I know I know.....blah blah blah cry me a river:p
I just wanted to say thank you it meant the world to me:D
and I hope to see you guys soon....I am going to Laguna (even if I have to go alone) So see ya there!!!:D
Nico;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good advice from all.

Jane, have you attended an MSF course yet? Do that if you haven't already. You'll get to play with either a 125 or a 250 and be able to flat foot it no problem. Of course, in the MSF they teach you to put only your left foot down at a stop because they want your right on the rear brake. So... Being short can be overcome with a little creativity and practice. Best advice I heard so far is to start with an older bike that won't make you cringe so much IF you drop it. Get used to it and then go buy a nice, new, pretty one of your choice. :) Tell your Brother to shut his trap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow, your brother does live in the stone age. Just ignore him and his remarks. I'm just about 5'4" tall and my very first motorcycle was a 99' GSX-R600 (brand new). It was probably a little bit bigger then I should have gotten, but I wasn't going to have any man tell me what I could handle and what I couldn't. My boyfriend was very supportive of me, but it was the salesman that was telling me to go for a 500cc or smaller.

Well, since I'm athletic and I love a challenge I knew a 500cc or smaller would get boring very quick so I opted for the 600. Let me tell you I was right - I ended up selling the 600 a year later and upgraded to the GSX-R750. That particular bike might be too tall for you (I'm on the balls of my feet), but have you looked at the Suzuki SV650? It's a more comfortable riding position then the GSX-R's but at the same time it does have some good power in it. The SV has gained some popularity with the racing scene so you might be able find a used one (with some mods:D ) if you don't want to go new.

Good luck to you and don't let anyone hold you back from doing something YOU want to do!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am only 5'2" and ride a Ninja 600R. I had to have ot lowered a couple inches but that is very comfortable-- even being a new rider! Love it!:p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jane,

Like everyone else said, you can lower pretty much any bike. I'm 4'11", 5'if you measure the high platforms. My boyfriend would go riding every week-end and I stayed home and wished... Finally, I got mine, my dad lowered it for me, and little did he know in less than 6 mo. I was right next to him along with the other ones, riding. I'm loving every minute of it!

At first I just wanted to prove myself, show him that I can do it!, now I don't care what everybody else says, I just love riding it. Good luck. I have an FZR600. Let me know how you're doing. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't even worry. I saw a tiny woman on a big Honda Superhawk up at Alice's. She had to stretch a little, but she did it just fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
too short

a lot of the women that ride with me can fit an old fzr 1000 easy they are short bikes. also if there is a problem with ride height you can lower a bike by putting different length dogbones on it

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am around 5' 4" and I started with a zx6. Last sat. I picked up my Honda 954. Scarry ahaha!

It has one of the highest seat postions of the sports bike at 32.4" I think my inseam is something like 28 1/2. Means that both my feet touch at the same time!. I did a few mods to this. I extended the kickstand lever. Had a machine shop cut off the ball and weld an extension on it. I lowered the bike a bit by adjusting the preload. You just need to be attentive of which way the ground slants at on stops haha.

So dont let anyone say that you cant ride a sportbike!!!

You can see how big the bike is at:
http://www.geocities.com/reno229/gall

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go easy on your brother. Maybe he's just jealous. Life is too short to be bickering all the time. My brother used to tease me and now I see my little guy (5½) teasing his little sister (2¼). I'm trying to put a stop to it.
Its great that you are passionate about bikes, but don't let it get in the way of family.
Your best bet is to
1. keep your mouth shut
2. get your license
3. buy your bike
4. don't brag about it and don't pay any attention to criticism
5. most importantly, HAVE FUN!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm only 5'0" or 5'1" in the morning. I had a fzr600. I had to make my own seat(shaving the cusion down). I liked the ninja 500. It is light enough. It was the only bike I never dropped. I managed to get both feet on the ground, which is what I always wanted. It helped me tremendously. I don't have a bike right now. I know what it's like to be short. My next bike will have a lowering kit for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts