Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wherever is History in the making will be Motorcycles and Riders..! This picture is from today in Kandahar from the REUTERS.COM web site. Seems to be a "naked" bike in the background (left side)...

"An anti-Taliban fighter jokingly points his rifle at the camera in the Afghan village of Weish near Spin Boldak, in this television grab December 7, 2001. The Taliban lost control of Weish and the border town of Spin Boldak, on the day they gave up control of their spiritual home of Kandahar. Photo by Reuters Tv"

© Reuters 2001. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

My Legal disclaimer: "This post contains some copyrighted material. The use of which has not always
been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I'm making such material
available in an effort to advance understanding of motorcycle riding. I believe
this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for
in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for
research and educational purposes. For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted
material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
you must obtain permission from the copyright owner."

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW....! That's an interesting note! Do you have any specific reference? (Book, Magazine or Web site).

Ride Safe.....!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
ZR_7RIDER said:
WOW....! That's an interesting note! Do you have any specific reference? (Book, Magazine or Web site).

Ride Safe.....!
I think I heard it from my fathers friends who were in WWII and flew P-47s and Corsiars. Probably Janes would have it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
desmo079 said:
On a related note, did you guys know that Kawasaki built the Jap Zero fighter plane used extensively in WWII?
um, wasn't that Mitsubishi Heavy Industries that built the Zero (unless you were being funny it escaped me :) ) ?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I remember hearing somewhere that Kawasaki built planes for Japan in WWII. I remember that clearly because I owned a Yamaha at the time, and the huz owned a Kawasaki and it was a great argument why Yamahas are superior. ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
elodello said:
I remember hearing somewhere that Kawasaki built planes for Japan in WWII. I remember that clearly because I owned a Yamaha at the time, and the huz owned a Kawasaki and it was a great argument why Yamahas are superior. ;)
There were probably many Japanese companies that built planes, but I'm pretty sure Mits built the Zero (after having purchased scrap metal from the US for its plants).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
tigertex said:
yeah, I'm pretty sure that should be mitsubishi.;)That's pretty funny though. I wonder what the make is.
OK everybody, I just did a quick and ineffective web search on it. I could not find anything on the Zero, but I did find at least one fighter built by Kawasaki. Now that I think of it, maybe it was Mitsubishi that built the Zero.
Nonetheless, I think the Japanese have killed more round-eyes with their Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis and Suzukis than they ever did with all of their fighter planes combined. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: Kawasaki

Someone mentioned the jap bikes having killed more Americans than during WWII.

I'll bet it's nothing compared to the countless thousands Bud, Miller, Jack D, and other alcoholic "beverages" have... no matter what the weapon of choice to die on/in or kill with was...

I laughed when I saw the "terms of agreement". What the age 13 has to do with all this is beyond me!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I believe Mitsubishi owns Kawasaki, which makes it true.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dad said:
I believe Mitsubishi owns Kawasaki, which makes it true.
So if Daimler owns Chrysler then that makes my buddy's dodge stratus a Mercedes?

Here's a link a page on the Smithsonian's web sight.

http://www.si.edu/harcourt/nasm/gal205/gal205.html#ZERO

By the way, nobody figured out what type of bike that is... HD?
:p

Aris is good at this kind of thing. Aris?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
tigertex said:
So if Daimler owns Chrysler then that makes my buddy's dodge stratus a Mercedes?
... and don't forget the Dodge Dart!:D :D

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
tigertex said:

By the way, nobody figured out what type of bike that is... HD?
:p

Aris is good at this kind of thing. Aris?
The picture isn't clear :confused:
How's that for an excuse? :)
No really, I can't be sure, but my guess is it's an IZH Planeta 4 or older,or a Jupiter.
IZH motorcycles are made in Russia and they are very popular in these areas, the same factory makes almost anything, from AK74 rifles and other kinds of arms, to military bikes etc.
Here is the central site, enjoy :D
WARNING!! You might end up spending days on that site, oh and if you understand Russian you'll understand more ;)
http://www.izhmash.udm.ru/izhmash.html

I couldn't find good pictures but I think it's the older version of tis bike: (planeta 5)

Aris

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts