Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys remember me,,, some probably dont. JBAZ is the only chap in a quick glance that I recognize... afraid I have been not doing much posting lately.

To summarize.

First Bike. FZR-600 2 Seasons, 13,000 miles, no problems.

Second Bike '00 R6, 1 Season, sideswiped by inattentive hit and run... no major injuries.

Third Bike - Ducati 996. Passed semi at 6 am and got creamed by someone who went over both of her lanes to pass in my side. cumulative speed of crash estimated at 190mph.

Broken left leg, torn ligaments in both knees, Pelvis broken in "open book", 5 fractures in it, torn 12 inches of intestines, torn bladder, lost chunk of liver, lost spleen, damaged kidney, broke 2 ribs... collapsed a lung later that day and bled into it, broken collarbone.

That was sept 27th.

My recovery time was estimated at 1 year... im walking again, have a slight limp in my left leg,,, but I'll be fully up and operational again soon, its just a matter of time, and sweat.

I am almost equal in my wish to ride again, and not to be hurt like that again, and I dont know which to follow.

Love riding, love it more than anything else I've ever done.

I'm not a fan of dying tho.

What to do....what to do.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Some of you guys remember me,,, some probably dont. JBAZ is the only chap in a quick glance that I recognize... afraid I have been not doing much posting lately.

To summarize.

First Bike. FZR-600 2 Seasons, 13,000 miles, no problems.

Second Bike '00 R6, 1 Season, sideswiped by inattentive hit and run... no major injuries.

Third Bike - Ducati 996. Passed semi at 6 am and got creamed by someone who went over both of her lanes to pass in my side. cumulative speed of crash estimated at 190mph.

Broken left leg, torn ligaments in both knees, Pelvis broken in "open book", 5 fractures in it, torn 12 inches of intestines, torn bladder, lost chunk of liver, lost spleen, damaged kidney, broke 2 ribs... collapsed a lung later that day and bled into it, broken collarbone.

That was sept 27th.

My recovery time was estimated at 1 year... im walking again, have a slight limp in my left leg,,, but I'll be fully up and operational again soon, its just a matter of time, and sweat.

I am almost equal in my wish to ride again, and not to be hurt like that again, and I dont know which to follow.

Love riding, love it more than anything else I've ever done.

I'm not a fan of dying tho.

What to do....what to do.
:eek: :jawdrop: DAYUM

Maybe once you heal up you should stick with track days. That's about the best way to avoid cagers.

Glad you pulled through alright. You're one lucky SOB.

·
Registered
217 Posts
its hard to ask anyone this question unless they've been in a situation just like yours. are you scared to throw your leg over the bike again? or are you psyched about it? i cant even fathom what you have been through. you are incredibly lucky and incredibly strong. you have a crazy story. staying away from sportbikes after an accident like that is totally understandable. however, if you have the itch to ride and want to, go for it.

if i was in your situation, i would like to think that i would be ready to get back on and ride. i dont know though. its a tough call. like snakesht said, trackdays are a great way to get away from cages, trucks, curbs, sidewalks, etc.

if you want to ride, then climb on and go. if you have reservations about it, its probably best to stay away until you figure it out for sure:2cents:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm noticing a pattern, it seems the powers that be don't want you to ride. I can't speak for you but I wouldn't question anyone in your situation giving up riding and if I was in your place I'd probably give it up whilst having the urge to get back on. If you do get back on the saddle avoid the cagers as much as possible--they don't seem to like you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
well i have not had as serious of crashes as those but i had a couple of them - one of which resulted in my nickname - and i was back on the bike the next day... actually i lowsided on a friday night during a "test run" on my r6 and i broke the foot peg bracket.. so i called in a favor that night, had it welded (still sits that way today) and did a trackday the next day.. of course i didn't have broken bones, etc. and a completely wadded up bike either..

you can look at it a couple of ways -

glass half empty - you have established a pattern and it will continue
glass half full - you got your bad shit out of the way and now you're good

or like the first response just get a track bike and do track days.. probably the safest way to ride anyways.. i prefer track days over street riding myself.. how often on the street is there an ambulance right there waiting to take you if you get hurt - 1 in a million.. plus no people in cages no paying attention, etc. etc. etc. you don't have to pay insurance on the bike or for tags.. you can get a cheap used bike and put race plastics on it..

·
Registered
423 Posts
+1 on the trackdays. Seeing that you are from Madison there is a group of people that are huge trackday enthusiasts right by you. Send me a PM if you want some more information.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Holy crap! You must be one tough bastard!

If there was anything in the world that would stop me from riding, something like this would be it. I've often thought about what I would do if I were in a serious accident such as yours. I've come to the conclusion that I might likely just give up street riding and do track riding only. Track riding gives you more of a rush than you could ever get on the street and the environment is much safer.

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
+1 on the trackdays. Seeing that you are from Madison there is a group of people that are huge trackday enthusiasts right by you. Send me a PM if you want some more information.
Go this route. You can get a track bike relatively cheap without having to worry about insurance so your costs will be quite a bit lower than doing street riding. After one track day you'll know if you're ready to continue. Then, down the road, you can decide if you ever want to return to the street. There are many a rider who are track only and I'd never question theirs skills or nerves.

But as conrice said, its easy to say that not having been in your situation. Given I support a family, I can imagine I would be tussling over hanging it up permanently.

·
Registered
892 Posts
wow dude, after my werck i had not really considered giving it up but i did ride differently. just be a little extra cautious, avoid situations that might make you nervous. I realize that you cant avoid them all but just ride a little smarter (not that you werent before). now you have that experience under your belt....it didnt kill you so it made you stronger .....right lol.

·
Registered
452 Posts
WOW . . . after that . . . I would get a mini cooper with a busa-engine swap . . . and have fun on the road & track

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I remember you, Kyp. It was my 13th bike, close onto 1 million miles. I took a bad hit, too. I haven't ridden since 2006.

Today was a nice day, and lots of people had their bikes out. I watched them ride and thought about all the fun and adventures which started with pulling the bike out and starting it up. I love it! I'm not physically able to ride...I mean I could get on a bike & ride it, but it wouldn't be fun.

+, something is missing. All the years I rode, I KNEW that I couldn't be touched, I was observant, skilled, and able to visualize an escape to virtually any scenario. The few that were inescapable (like the car coming at you head-on at freeway speeds) would result in instantaneous death. Never imagined surviving and feeling the damage in my body for the rest of my life.
I'm just thankful it happened when I was 46, and not 36, or 20. The joy of riding wouldn't have come close to replacing the joy of not hurting, of being strong.....

If I get on a bike again, I'll be riding without that feeling of invincibility. Hard to imagine enjoying the ride here in the Cali traffic without it.

I still have my bike. I can rebuild it, but today at least my heart isn't in it.
All the pain of the last year and a half, the effect on my plans for the future, the effect on my family, these things can't be ignored.

When I was a musician, playing in front of a happy crowd with a good band made me feel just as good as riding. Not in the same way, but just as good. Made plenty of friends and met a lot of ladies, just like riding. Even when the band wasn't that good, nobody ever went out in the parking lot, got in their car, and drove towards the stage at 80mph! Point is, the world is a big place with more things to do than you'll have time for. If you choose another path, I'll understand why. Checking out a few myself......

Good to hear from you again, and I hope you recover completely and enjoy your life, in or out of the saddle...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts