Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dittos to what Kyle and Tony said, but I believe there was some humorous sarchasm in Duck's "voice" when he wrote the intro. If not, let the games...er...flames begin! :D

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Do you want a "My bike is better than yours" Flame war? I hope that alot of people feel the same way I do when I say: Who give a crap?! They are ALL very, very good machines these days. Buy whatever tickles your fancy and shut up and ride it.

The article you linked to included a very appropriate paragraph:

"You could do worse than pick any of these bikes on style or color alone, and a buying decision should be made on your intended usage. This is the most evenly matched open-class comparison between three bikes in sportbike history."

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
amen kyle!!!

i am so tired of people saying, 'i saw that motorcyclist show on television and i can't believe that bike's faster than the r1 and the 929'. and i think, 'i can probably ride my 400 faster'.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I clearly remember spanking both an R1 and a 996 this Sunday at the track on my gay stock Honda 600? Go figure. :D

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

·
Registered
205 Posts
rider, rider, rider!!!

that's all it is. and has anyone else noticed who is leading the points in like almost all the racing right now. plus who has already got the #1 plates!

NOT YAMAHAS!!!

unless of course they cheat!

oh boy that will start something! :D

------------------
Nick
"You meet the nicest people on Hondas"

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
all i have to say is erion likely has a bigger budget than the rest of the fx field (save the team hammer bikes and bruce transportation bikes, which are pretty much erion bikes as well).

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey, John, don't make me bring up the dominant R1 record in Europe again! Those V&M bikes would run circles around the better financed Erion machines! :D

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

[This message has been edited by mashuri (edited July 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I'm not positive but pretty sure that the Erion budget is significantly higher than Team Hammer and Bruce Trans. ;)

Another article where the riders comments don't match the conclusion. :eek:

Does anyone else think that it is interesting how R1 owners can pat themselves on the back for nudging the 929 and 9R. It has a 70cc and 100cc advantage. Over 150 parts new and still barely beat the smaller machines. I would think that it should be capable of actually winning the battle out right. :)

Even in race trim the Hondas and Suzukis typically put out more HP and handle better. :)

Wow that was fun. I haven't flamed anyone in a while and now I get to flame a whole group of owners. :p :D

In that group it is purely dependant on the rider as to which one comes out on top in real life. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
I'm not positive but pretty sure that the Erion budget is significantly higher than Team Hammer and Bruce Trans. ;)(snip)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no john, what i was trying to say, it that if you take out hammer and bruce trans and added up the budgets of all the other teams, i doubt they's equal erion's budget.

i would agree that hammer and bruce probably don't have the cubic dollars that erion has, but they are also not truly full privateer teams, such as grigg electrical (free ad there buddy), graves, teamskulk and the like.

------------------
Tony

for more ramblings try http://geocities.com/cbrf2boy

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Tony,

I see what you are saying and I think you are probably right about that. :)

I know what one of the teams spends in a season. It's alot but probably wouldn't even pay the Erion riders' salaries. ;)

------------------
John

·
Registered
275 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
Does anyone else think that it is interesting how R1 owners can pat themselves on the back for nudging the 929 and 9R. It has a 70cc and 100cc advantage. Over 150 parts new and still barely beat the smaller machines. I would think that it should be capable of actually winning the battle out right. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya know if ya think that the Y2K R1 is all that different think again. Those 150 changes or enhancements add up to a 5 pound weight savings, little more. No HP oncrease over 98' or 99' models. Sorry no major chasis improvments either. So for a bike that is technologically speaking more than three years old it does a pretty damn good job.
I'll get off my soap box now. Excuse me while I go pat myself on the back!

------------------
RLJ3RD
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Mashuri and RL,

Don't read anything in to what I said. For one, I didn't say anything about Honda dominating(if I did I didn't mean to) and secondly a Yamaha R1 owner in this SBW club of ours brought up the 150 changes not me. ;)

2-3 year old technology with 70-100cc advantage should still beat the competition. This ain't computers were talking. State of the art in '98 and '99 is not obsolete in '00. :p :D

Back to the brotherhood... that is three kick ass bikes and I would be proud to own any of the three(it would have to be the black Kawi though). :)

------------------
John

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Mashuri it sure would be fun to see a company like V&M field an R1 over here in FX. :cool:

Let me set the record straight to prevent people from try to slam me. I was just trying to put things(the article) into perspective. ;) Oh, plus I was messing with the Yamaha guys too. :rolleyes:

Truth is that in open class racing their is only one bike for a true privateer to attempt racing on... the R1. It is a no brainer. If you take out Erion Honda and Valvoline Suzuki then the only thing left in the normal top 10-15 guys is a Raptor(yahoo), a Hyabusa(damn the HP) and R1s. Pretty much the rest of the field after that is Supersport Suzukis. :)

As Mashuri mentioned, the R1s are fairly dominant in the comparable open class racing in Europe. :)

Oh, things should heat up next year with the new GSXR1000/1100... which ever it is. :eek:

------------------
John

·
Registered
292 Posts
No worries John. I was just ribbing you back...not trying to start a flame war.

I have the feeling that the GSXR1000 will kill everything else anyway. The 750 already puts out the same HP as the 929RR and has the same top speed as the R1. Can you imagine what that package will do with 250cc more??? I think I see my next bike in the 'ol crystal ball... :D

------------------

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Mashuri,

I'm with you. I am stoked about the new open class Gixxer. It is going to stir things up so much. I too have a feeling that it will be the bike to beat in FX. :cool:

------------------
John

·
Registered
275 Posts
Originally posted by RCjohn:
Mashuri and RL,

Don't read anything in to what I said.

I didn't take it wrong. Other opinions are valued here.

2-3 year old technology with 70-100cc advantage should still beat the competition. This ain't computers were talking. State of the art in '98 and '99 is not obsolete in '00.

Not wanting to drag this out I think the R1 still rules on the street, it never really has on the track. Three years is a long time technology wise unless your Suzuki, no pun intended folks it is a fact. If you think I'm full of it, tell me when the gixxer finally went water cooled. Yes I am biased, I doubt I will ever ride anything but a Yamaha. Although if Yamaha doesn't produce a twin soon I may rethink that for a second bike (I will NEVER git rid of the R1) My .02

------------------
RLJ3RD

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
RL,

I gonna disagree on one point(they do rule on track too) and Mashuri can back me up. ;) Like I said, it is a no brainer. The R1 is the bike to have in open class racing. If you take Erion Honda and Valvoline Suzuki out of the picture since 98, the R1 would be left on top in FX and most open class club and professional racing world wide(Mashuri has info on world scene). In general, The R1 is the fastest(equal riders of course) bike out there in stock form and one of the least expensive to make competitive on the track. :) :p

It's cool that Yamaha has good bikes like the R1 and R6. They were the roadracing whippin boys for so long. :eek: Couldn't compete with anything, but not anymore though. :D :D :D

The R1, R6 and TZ250s are damn fast. :cool:

------------------
John

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with John. R1's are very competitve in the world scene. Just for the record, I personally have NO brand loyalty whatsoever (unless Yamaha or some other manufacturer wants to start paying me to ride their brand.) ;) I ride whatever I think is best for me at the given time. If I bought an open-classer back in '97, it sure as hell wouldn't have been the YZF1000R. I would most likely have gone with the CBR900RR or, if I had the $$$, a Duc 916. If the GSXR1000 is all that and a bag of chips, you can bet your ass that my obsolete R1 will be traded in on one of those. Why limit yourself to one brand only? There's no benefit to doing that. If Suzuki is so technologically far behind how come their 750 has the same top speed as my R1? If anything, Yamaha is behind. They need to put ram air on their @#%$ liter bikes already! The first mod racers make on the R1 is ram air induction. Kawasaki has been doing it for a decade now and Suzuki and Honda quickly followed suit. Wassup with Yamaha??? They finally did it last year with the R6...now do the R1 already!!!

------------------

·
Registered
275 Posts
Originally posted by mashuri:
I agree with John. R1's are very competitve in the world scene.
I also agree, R1's are very competitive, I said they don't rule on the track.

Just for the record, I personally have NO brand loyalty whatsoever ... Why limit yourself to one brand only? There's no benefit to doing that.
Just my .02 it's all personal preference. I guess like the Ford/Chevy thing. I just prefer them thats all.

If Suzuki is so technologically far behind how come their 750 has the same top speed as my R1? If anything, Yamaha is behind. They need to put ram air on their @#%$ liter bikes already!
I didn't say they were currently behind technologically. I used their move to water cooling as an example, albeit maybe a better example could have been used.

The first mod racers make on the R1 is ram air induction.
I wouldn't go to ram air on my R1. Just personal preference but I have heard to many nightmares of trying to get them right for street use. (The point I was trying to make in my comment was the R1 is a much better street bike than track bike)I think Yamaha was very successful in what they accomplished with the R1 by getting them in such great numbers on the street, I believe track use was purely secondary. Now for the track thats a different story, and I totally agree with you.

Mashuri, I am not trying to start a pissing contest I just threw my opinion out there. I just don't like being misquoted. And like the old saying goes "opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink"

------------------
RLJ3RD

[This message has been edited by RLJ3RD (edited July 31, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts