Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing my owners manual and it indicates that Canadian models have their ignition timing set at 3 degrees B.T.D.C.All others are set at 0.1 degrees B.T.D.C.What does this do?,more midrange????.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
That is strange. I think it is to kind of give it a little more grunt because of the French language and the way it just rolls of the tongue. :rolleyes::D:p

Seriously, that is a good question. Is there anything different about the gasoline in Canada, other than the cost of course? :confused:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
`98 TLR

I don`t know John,The premium gas in BC is 94 octane.I don`t know enough about ignition timing to know what that 3 degrees does.Does your owners manual indicate any odd things on your RC-51?.I know,the bike is bi-lingual(two languages),that must be it!!!.What do ya bet `squid will comment on this.

[Edited by auger on 10-25-2000 at 02:36 AM]

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd bet it is for emission reasons. Having just made my GTi pass WA emission test for first time in 4 years, I learned quite a bit about hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Much of this has to do with mixture/fuel ratio, too, but timing does affect what comes out the exhaust.

I would suspect that US model with retarded timing (quite appropriate) is the "greener" machine.

Unfortunately, I only learned enough to get my car to pass, but not enough to explain it all. Sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts