Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the Twist of the Wrist DVD yesterday, watched it last night and tried out what I learned today. Stinkin sweet is all I can say for it. Had one of, if not my best ride since I started riding.

I decided that I did not have to work until 1 that I would try what I learned, sooooooooooo here goes (Hope you like stories)...

I left the house around 10 and headed for the hills. Instead of my usual route I went a different one. Hauled arse through the twisties faster and more confident than ever before. Got 20 miles out of town and decided to go for more. :D

Hauled arse again up a hill into a sweeping left turn, got nice and close to the inside of the turn, see a Suburban coming my way pulling a travel trailer, the cage had those wide mirrors that extended out 3 feet on either side. Of course my head is aimed right for the mirror on the driver's side. Let off the throttle and pulled to the right, :eek: cleared it.

Got about 15 miles further and got into some tighter turns, went into a right hander and slowly drifted into the opposite lane a bit.. :eek: :eek: , got her fixed and back in my lane. Not 2 seconds later a cage came from the other way, that was a little too close.

Coming home I got on a nice looooooooong straight away, could not open it up though, to many cages. :( Got around them all, finally. Looked to the skies for and piggy choppers, none in site :D . Opened it up and tucked in behind the windscreen. I could not even hear the wind! All I heard and felt was the bike. The purr of the engine is a great thing when you hear it and feel it. Got her up to 120, then I got stuck behind more cages :( .

Got about 1/4 mile from home, got a cramp on the back of my leg. Glad it was on my home though.

A few things I found that were my weakness was that I would think about too many other things besides my ride, not pushing enough in the turns and not using my throttle through the turns.

Once I cleared my mind and focused on the ride, I enjoyed in 100% more than before. The video did teach me allot, granted it was geared allot towards track more than street. I would recommend it for anyone that wants to be a better rider and most of all.... enjoy their ride!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
where did u get it and how much?!?!??!!?
i got the book and would love the dvd!!!

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm

Check your local bike shops. I went to 3 different one's and finally found it at Cycle Gear. You might be able to get it online. I got it for $29. Worth every penny too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for a video to come out like this one. One thing though. Don't forget, watching a video is great for learning techniques, but one thing everyone still needs to do is practice.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A few things I found that were my weakness was that I would think about too many other things besides my ride, not pushing enough in the turns and not using my throttle through the turns.
yea...pushing harder thru turns really sounds like a good idea, considering the following....
, got her fixed and back in my lane. Not 2 seconds later a cage came from the other way, that was a little too close

and...

Of course my head is aimed right for the mirror on the driver's side. Let off the throttle and pulled to the right, cleared it.

let me thank you in advance for raising my insurance rates and adding to the "sportbikers are so stupid" attitude of most cops and EMTs. I have a feeling you're going to crash very soon riding like this and I really feel sorry for the family of four that you might take out. I do hope you start to get some respect for other people's safety soon. VERY soon.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jester said:
Hauled arse again up a hill into a sweeping left turn, got nice and close to the inside of the turn, see a Suburban coming my way pulling a travel trailer, the cage had those wide mirrors that extended out 3 feet on either side. Of course my head is aimed right for the mirror on the driver's side...

Got about 15 miles further and got into some tighter turns, went into a right hander and slowly drifted into the opposite lane a bit...

Rather than trying to increase turn speed, may I suggest slowing down a little so you can work on technique. Both mistakes you describe--cutting an apex too tight and running wide at the exit--are caused by what Code calls "lazy steering", turning in too early and too gradually. And excessive speed (for skill level) is often the cause.

The turn approaches faster than you're accustomed to, and you react by steering earlier than you should. Instead of turning in earlier, you should turn in at the same place you would at slower speed but harder. As you improve your turn-in point selection and steering, your speed will increase naturally, without pushing yourself to speed you're not ready for.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
schpreck said:
Of course my head is aimed right for the mirror on the driver's side. Let off the throttle and pulled to the right, cleared it.

let me thank you in advance for raising my insurance rates and adding to the "sportbikers are so stupid" attitude of most cops and EMTs. I have a feeling you're going to crash very soon riding like this and I really feel sorry for the family of four that you might take out. I do hope you start to get some respect for other people's safety soon. VERY soon. [/B]
Gee thanks for..... well nothing.

First off, if you would have read what I posted you would have seen the the cage was over on my side of the road.

Secondly, I am an EMT and know what the attitude is.

Third, "I have a feeling you're going to crash very soon".... you don't know me, therefore, don't judge me. Sorry for posting what my day was like, did not know I was going to get flamed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Got about 15 miles further and got into some tighter turns, went into a right hander and slowly drifted into the opposite lane a bit.. , got her fixed and back in my lane. Not 2 seconds later a cage came from the other way, that was a little too close.

You're an irresponible rider who practices hi performance riding on the street. You're obviously trying to ride way above your head. Not only are you putting yourself at risk, but other riders and drivers on the road. Honestly, that's all I really need to know about you. I don't care to find out any more. Why wouldn't you practice on the track? Get your racing license...something. A CCS racing license is really easy to get, and your skill will improve a hell of a lot more than trying the things that are discussed in the DVD on the STREET of all places. Anyway, enjoy your "rides", squid.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's it....

You know, there are so many comments yet so little time. So I am going to leave it at this....

You don't know me, I don't know you.... let's keep it that way and end at that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: Yeah, that's it....

Jester said:
You know, there are so many comments yet so little time. So I am going to leave it at this....

You don't know me, I don't know you.... let's keep it that way and end at that.
:thumb: ....good answer

·
Registered
263 Posts
Schpreck you need to step off your horse ,and take that corn cob out of your ass. I am no advicate for hard core street rideing but we don't need to be preaching at each other. Try positive reinforcement.

Jester I suggest you look into going to a track day or a school like
california superbike school you will learn more in one day on a track than you will ever on the street. I went to their 2 day camp before I even bought my bike. I learned alot well worth the money ,and the school has probbly saved my a cupple of times.

ride safe,
Kyle M.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Schpreck you need to step off your horse ,and take that corn cob out of your ass. I am no advicate for hard core street rideing but we don't need to be preaching at each other. Try positive reinforcement.

Maybe I do need to get off my high horse...but listen to my position first. Last year, my parents were riding their Golwing back from Prescott, AZ to Phoenix (VERY twisty road. Very popular with people who think the're Rossi.) They were just puttin down the mountain when WHAM! they were hit by some squid that ran wide around a turn coming the other way. They were forced off the road and into a 75ft. canyon. My mother nearly lost her leg and my father is still undergoing rehabilitaion for spinal damage. Also, about 6 years ago, my girlfriend was hit and KILLED by a reckless motorcyclist when she was just trying to walk to class at ASU. The motorcyclist was just "trying to do a wheelie". so forgive me if I'm a little hard on people who practice their "racing" or high performance riding on the street. Most of them never even think about how they can affect other people. While I do ride a 2001 R-1 on the street every day to and from work, I save the knee-dragging and cornering practice for the track. And if my friends want to race me, we go and RACE (you know...at the track!) In future, just think about who may be coming around the corner in your favorite canyon or twisty road. THINK.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
schpreck said:
Nah I think every sportbiker out there (besides you) obviously never thinks...we're all inconsiderate bastards. :twofinger :D

All joking aside

Dude, I'm sorry your family has suffered at the ill hands of the 10-20% of sportbike community who are idiots, but that still gives you 0% right to flame anyone on my board.

Why don't we tone it down a little bit before things really get outta hand on here.

·
Registered
379 Posts
RedNinja said:

Dude, I'm sorry your family has suffered at the ill hands of the 10-20% of sportbike community who are idiots, but that still gives you 0% right to flame anyone on my board.

Why don't we tone it down a little bit before things really get outta hand on here.
Well said Red
Ditto

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok

schpreck, I understand your point, and I am sorry for the incidents in your past.

I am not out there pushing 150 while riding by the seat of my pants. I am no Rossi, nor do I claim to be... or ever will be for that matter. Any time I ride with my friends I get left behind because of the twisties, we don't go balls to the wall either. I am trying to get better at riding. I realize that it may seem I am going balls out in the twisties, but I assure that I am not. All I am trying to do is become a better rider. I have had times in the past where I have been unsure of myself. I have racked up a measly 8000 on my bike since I got in 99. I realize that it is not allot.

I take the same route all the time, I went on a road I have been on maybe once before to try and see if I was any better on the turns than the first. If you rode with me before on that road, you would see that I rode the hell out of my front brake. That is the reason I purchased the DVD. To learn more and to try and be a better and safer rider. I learned things that I had been doing wrong and am working on fixing the. I don't have a death wish.

I know that bikes are fun and can be very dangerous. I had a friend die last year because he was unexperienced. He got a '01 Gizzer 1000, he just came off of riding dirt. Had the bike a day, went through a turn to fast and went head on with a mini van.

The way I see it, you are dealt the hand you get in life and play it the best you can.

CB_kid, I appreciate the advise on the school. I am and have been looking into them for sometime now. As soon as time and funds come together I will be going through it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sounds to me like Jester's just trying to become a better rider. I doubt many squids purchase a Twist of the Wrist.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Whoops, wasn't done posting but accidentally hit enter with the dang submit button highlighted :twofinger

Anywho, what I was going on to say was I kinda do the same thing. There's a great set of twisties up at Bear Mountain near me and I'll be up there almost every day practicing turning. Pushing yourself I think is a good thing, its what makes you better. The key is to make it challenging but not out of control, if that makes any sense. I like to go as fast as I can but as soon as the bike drifts in a direction I didnt intend I gotta back off. Also, it does kinda slow ya down a lot but the best way to keep it safe I've found is to enter turns slow and pick up the speed and lean angle as you go through it.

Anywho, just my two cents

·
Registered
200 Posts
Listen, I just re-read my earlier posts, and realized that I really sounded like a di#k. I guess I 'm just upset at the guy that took my mom and dad out on the twisties, and I took it out on you, (Jester), and I'm sorry. My dad just got back from one of the painful rehab sessions at the Mayo clinic, and that really brought back the horror of sitting in the ER, waiting to see if my parents would live. Please accept my apology, as that accident really changed my life, as did the accident where I lost Jennifer. (The ASU student.) I understand that you're just trying to become a better rider and I'll help you in any way I can. if you're ever at Firebird (phoenix), Laguna seca (Monterey), or Mid Ohio, let me know. Sponsors cover all of my practice days at these tracks, and I'm allowed 3 guests (when I'm there). If you ever want instruction from pro AMA riders...(me, Haugo, Haskovic, Woody) or SCCA drivers (Doverspike, Kleinubing) Let me know. I do NOT have a poor opinion of sportbike riders, as I am one of them! Again, please accept my apology.

As for being kicked from the forum for simply stating my opinion...you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
schpreck said:
As for being kicked from the forum for simply stating my opinion...you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Have fun.
Noone is kicked for voicing their opinion. It is just the flaming that is looked upon as bad. Hopefully all apologies are accepted and all is forgivin. We should just keep the flaming down.

ex.
  • Opinion - Riding hard on the street is acting like a squid.
    Flame - Riding hard on the street, man, YOUR A SQUID
**Posting advice from VYPIR :D

PS The 89 is a real fun road. Kind of hard to just let those corners go. Then when you feel like you had the best ... 89a :eek: :p

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
schpreck said:
if you're ever at Firebird (phoenix), Laguna seca (Monterey), or Mid Ohio, let me know. Sponsors cover all of my practice days at these tracks, and I'm allowed 3 guests (when I'm there). If you ever want instruction from pro AMA riders...(me, Haugo, Haskovic, Woody) or SCCA drivers (Doverspike, Kleinubing) Let me know...

...As for being kicked from the forum for simply stating my opinion...you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Have fun.
oh, oh, i do!!! i can drive out to mid-ohio, really , honestly. i need pro instruction. hell, top ranking amateur instruction would be fine with me.

do you know kleinubing? i like watching him race. great driver. i would like to see him race realtime's nsx as well. the guy rarely seems winded after racing the little type r.

as for being kicking from the forums, they leave me around, even let me make a decision from time to time. ;)

of course the only decisions i get to make are one or two lumps in robert's coffee, but he rarely throws it at me now. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts