Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought by Buell Firebolt, and its a great bike. I have a few more 500 mile left on my rear tire, but i'd rather burn em' out, never done it: I guess i'll start now.

they a r dunlops - i dont know what spec

What are the best tires on the market?
recomend?
What do you ride with?

gras
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
704 Posts
ochoa0042 said:
I just bought by Buell Firebolt, and its a great bike. I have a few more 500 mile left on my rear tire, but i'd rather burn em' out, never done it: I guess i'll start now.

they a r dunlops - i dont know what spec

What are the best tires on the market?
recomend?
What do you ride with?

gras
What do you expect from a tire?

What are you riding on (surface, track, street, mountains, interstates)?

I change tires depending on what I'm doing. Sport touring is the D220 from Dunlop, serious roads and track use is the D208 GPa, and I'll be using slicks for a couple of months next year.

We can help if you give us some more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
FAST & HARD

Well I ride my bike everywhere I go, a diligent commuter. Austin, TX is also the 'hill country'.

--> I ride the roads fast and hard; this one road, Nameless Rd, is a very very fast, long sweeping
beauty, some corners have a little bank to em', so I have taken 70+MPH: I can do more,but not
just ready to risk it. (very clean road)-----Google -Nameless Rd, Texas 78641

--> Another Road, off of Volente beach, resembles the Nurburgring Nordschleife race track, hair-pin
corners, long-sweeping bends, chicanes, mountainous climbs, and a fast straight-a-way at the end:
the down-side, its right on Lake Austin so it has million dollar mansions being rebuilt, so this road is
dying-out because of construction sand & shit. (loads of fun) -----Google -lime creek, Texas 78641

--> There is also 2222, Bullick Hollow, City Park Rd, Spicewood Springs, 1431, Crystal Falls, Sam Bass, 2244, Oasis, CR-401A. Thats about it
--> I probably race around 17-20 Hours a week
==============================================
> Im toning it down for the winter, b/c I dont want to buy the right gear, and that Im going to polish that signature large buell frame.
> Y'all dont understand how much Im relying on your posts, my tyres are dying
==============================================
DemonRR - thanks, but no thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
704 Posts
Re: FAST & HARD

ochoa0042 said:
Well I ride my bike everywhere I go, a diligent commuter. Austin, TX is also the 'hill country'.

--> I ride the roads fast and hard; this one road, Nameless Rd, is a very very fast, long sweeping
beauty, some corners have a little bank to em', so I have taken 70+MPH: I can do more,but not
just ready to risk it. (very clean road)-----Google -Nameless Rd, Texas 78641

--> Another Road, off of Volente beach, resembles the Nurburgring Nordschleife race track, hair-pin
corners, long-sweeping bends, chicanes, mountainous climbs, and a fast straight-a-way at the end:
the down-side, its right on Lake Austin so it has million dollar mansions being rebuilt, so this road is
dying-out because of construction sand & shit. (loads of fun) -----Google -lime creek, Texas 78641

--> There is also 2222, Bullick Hollow, City Park Rd, Spicewood Springs, 1431, Crystal Falls, Sam Bass, 2244, Oasis, CR-401A. Thats about it
--> I probably race around 17-20 Hours a week
==============================================
> Im toning it down for the winter, b/c I dont want to buy the right gear, and that Im going to polish that signature large buell frame.
> Y'all dont understand how much Im relying on your posts, my tyres are dying
==============================================
DemonRR - thanks, but no thanks
OK... first, let me say that I'm a diehard Dunlop tire person. So my recommendations will follow suite.

For the sake of longevity, I would recommend the Dunlop D220. You will get lots of miles from these, and they still offer pretty darn good all around grip. I am not personally crazy about the feedback from the tires. However seven to eight thousand miles from a set with decent grip is hard to argue.

You can run a regular street compound such as the Dunlop Qualifiers. These are supposed to offer decent mileage, but the last street tire I ran lasted about 3-4 k per set. I've got over that on the D220s so far. And I've heard that the D220 has better wet traction.

I wouldn't consider the GPs an option for the street.

Tires of the same type I discussed are available from other manufacturers, but I don't keep track of them. Dunlop does a good job for me.

Mileage/longevity = sport touring, performance/best traction = street compound such as the Qualifier.

Hope this helps some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I checked what type of Dunlops I have on em,

they are the D208GP, wow right

I am a serious driver, but because my bike has so much torque on command: I catch myself extiting turns with my rear end getting loose. And I've seen
pro-racing videos where if it gets too loose, your thrown off the bike!

So Im looking for a tire with AWESOME sidewall grip (where it realy matters). And its hard to get a legitimate answer: b/c all tire manufactures say they got the best this and best that bla bla bla. And all the reviews on the internet are by Joe-Smo from europa

I would like to hear something like, the Sportrider magizine, tested such and such, and the Dunlop 208GP are the best.

I'm not saying that I dont appreciate your comments, I realy do praise.
DanQ, you sound serious about your tires, so trust your decision

On this post there isnt consistency/majority on a specific tire, scattered

You see my delima? Should I post a poll ? A poll should help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
I have ridden on Dunlop Qualifiers, Battlax, and michelin pilot 2ct. The michelins are by far my favorite. Most people I know in my area are also riding the 2ct's. Im not sure of they tire wear yet, since I am still on my first set, but the Qualifiers and Battlax only gave me 5000 miles.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
704 Posts
ochoa0042 said:
Well I checked what type of Dunlops I have on em,

they are the D208GP, wow right

I am a serious driver, but because my bike has so much torque on command: I catch myself extiting turns with my rear end getting loose. And I've seen
pro-racing videos where if it gets too loose, your thrown off the bike!

So Im looking for a tire with AWESOME sidewall grip (where it realy matters). And its hard to get a legitimate answer: b/c all tire manufactures say they got the best this and best that bla bla bla. And all the reviews on the internet are by Joe-Smo from europa

I would like to hear something like, the Sportrider magizine, tested such and such, and the Dunlop 208GP are the best.

I'm not saying that I dont appreciate your comments, I realy do praise.
DanQ, you sound serious about your tires, so trust your decision

On this post there isnt consistency/majority on a specific tire, scattered

You see my delima? Should I post a poll ? A poll should help
Problem with tire questions is you are subjecting yourself to opinions. As I've learned more about riding and correct technique, I've learned to change my technology less, and improve my technique more. That's why I don't run slicks at the track. I can't use them yet.

I hit those 208 GPa's hard as heck coming out of corners, and rarely light them up. What tire pressure are you running?

You do realize that you should run about 30 psi cold on those? They warm up quickly, and stick pretty good. I don't know that I'd use them for any longevity on the street. Being a DOT race tire, they are only good for a limited amount of heat cycles. Once they are cycled out, they will get harder and slicker.

I'd look at a good quality street radial, or even the sport touring type tire for longevity. But the feedback from the sport touring tires may be at question.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
Fact is, modern tire technology is way beyond the capability of 99% of street riders.

Dan Q is giving you the straight skinny. Stick with his advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
regress

DanQ said:
As I've learned more about riding and correct technique, I've learned to change my technology less, and improve my technique more.
zxrider said:
Fact is, modern tire technology is way beyond the capability of 99% of street riders.
correct you are


DanQ said:
You do realize that you should run about 30 psi cold on those? They warm up quickly, and stick pretty good. I don't know that I'd use them for any longevity on the street. Being a DOT race tire, they are only good for a limited amount of heat cycles. Once they are cycled out, they will get harder and slicker.
PSI - "Check"

Heat cycles - what ?!? I've heard of before: but where would you be able to find that info, thats just way to technical here
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
704 Posts
Re: regress

ochoa0042 said:
correct you are



PSI - "Check"

Heat cycles - what ?!? I've heard of before: but where would you be able to find that info, thats just way to technical here
Here's an article that may help it make sense.

I run my DOTs for a couple hundred miles a set after I use them on track, but they don't ever perform as good as a decent street tire. I just can't bring myself to toss them as soon as I get off the track most of the time. :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
C'mon !

DanQ said:
Here's an article that may help it make sense.
I just got back from a ride, learning to "kiss the mirror", and raced one road 2min faster than normal, to read this.

Damn, this is definately a kick in the nutz on the confidence-o-meter. I mean, shit, im running on near-treadless tires, plus over cycled!
Can you say, low grip. :wtf:

shit man
==============================================
Panic aside, I think im going to get the Dunlop D208 ZR

From the site, it looks like just the type I have been looking for
They are basically D208 GP, but with a aggressive street compound, and deeper grooves

Shibbee:twofinger
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
704 Posts
Re: C'mon !

ochoa0042 said:
I just got back from a ride, learning to "kiss the mirror", and raced one road 2min faster than normal, to read this.

Damn, this is definately a kick in the nutz on the confidence-o-meter. I mean, shit, im running on near-treadless tires, plus over cycled!
Can you say, low grip. :wtf:

shit man
==============================================
Panic aside, I think im going to get the Dunlop D208 ZR

From the site, it looks like just the type I have been looking for
They are basically D208 GP, but with a aggressive street compound, and deeper grooves

Shibbee:twofinger
Sorry... just pointing out some info to you.

I've run through many sets of the 208 ZR and loved them. I have a set of Qualifiers I have been meaning to try to for comparison sake, but I've gone straight from ZR rated sport touring tires to GPs and GPas this year. Maybe next year I'll get the Qualifiers mounted and run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
am I made of $$$

I've never bought motorcycle tires before . . . and

I just got a quote for the Dunlop 208 ZR tires. They are at a grand total of $530.

WHAT! ! ! , am I made of money?


DanQ,

How many miles did your ZR's last?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
704 Posts
Re: am I made of $$$

ochoa0042 said:
I've never bought motorcycle tires before . . . and

I just got a quote for the Dunlop 208 ZR tires. They are at a grand total of $530.

WHAT! ! ! , am I made of money?


DanQ,

How many miles did your ZR's last?
I get about 3000 or a little more on the 208 ZR, and about 1000 street miles on 208 GP's or GPa's, and my D220s I have about 5000 on one set (about 2/3s gone) and 4000 on another (about 1/2 gone).

As far as the pricing, first, it's going to be hard finding a set of 208 ZR. They have been succeeded by the Qualifier. Second... look online. You can find deals, but you'll have to factor installation into the deal. As far as finding them online, I like buying tires from Chapparral. Second... although I've mentioned the D220s several times, I would not consider them unless I knew your riding style and experience. The feedback from them is jaded, at best, and you could find them slipping before you know that they are approaching their limit. But as far as all out grip goes, they have a good amount of grip, and whether on my R1 or my FZR, I can take them to the edge of the tread face in corners with no concerns, and I've even run Deals Gap on a set, two up.

Tires are a big mod. They are the only things connecting you with the road surface, and only have 100% traction available. How you use them can affect your potential choice list. Take them seriously and pick by your choices, and not necessarily what works for others (even me... I probably ride differently than you).

There was a Sportrider article a little over a year ago that covered slicks vs DOT race vs performance radial vs sport touring. It was a very surprising read, and something I've written to several different magazines over the years hoping for an answer. To summarize, there was like a 10th of a second down each step on the track. But the feedback and comfort changed as well. Where in that shotgun chart of data your riding fits, is what you need to find. And choose a tire to accomodate.

And no bro... we don't think you are made of money. The industry treats us like we have to be though :laughing: But we are riding performance machines, and they cost. I actually once sat and showed a friend that at 42 mpg vs 20 mpg in one of my cars, my motorcycle has higher operating expenses per mile than my car.

Hang in there! It's a great sport, and the more you know, the better it gets.

Please let me know if I can clarify on anything else, or PM me anytime.

Take care...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Re: Re: FAST & HARD

DanQ said:
OK... first, let me say that I'm a diehard Dunlop tire person. So my recommendations will follow suite.

For the sake of longevity, I would recommend the Dunlop D220. You will get lots of miles from these, and they still offer pretty darn good all around grip. I am not personally crazy about the feedback from the tires. However seven to eight thousand miles from a set with decent grip is hard to argue.

You can run a regular street compound such as the Dunlop Qualifiers. These are supposed to offer decent mileage, but the last street tire I ran lasted about 3-4 k per set. I've got over that on the D220s so far. And I've heard that the D220 has better wet traction.

I wouldn't consider the GPs an option for the street.

Tires of the same type I discussed are available from other manufacturers, but I don't keep track of them. Dunlop does a good job for me.

Mileage/longevity = sport touring, performance/best traction = street compound such as the Qualifier.

Hope this helps some.
I have had numerous brands on my ZX-9R and have really been pleased with a set of Avon tires. I have done a bit of mixing and matching and have found Sport-Tech M1 front and Avon on the rear to be an excellent decision.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top