Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 3,300 mi. now on my Bridgestone BT-012SS tires. They still have some tread left but I'm not sure how much. I'm looking for some new tires that'll have a little more life in 'em.

I've looked at the Metzler Z6's (now crazy about the look though) and the Michelin Pilot Roads (look a little better). Anyone have suggestions?

BTW, how much can I safety wear down the Bridgestones? Should I stop once they're even with the wear markers?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Once your at the wear marks...time for new tires..

Try the Pirelli Diablos they are suppose to last fairly long, yet offer good traction both in the dry, and in the wet..and they are good enough to do a track day on em..:D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
On the advice of a board member here, I recently mounted an Avon ST rear. People on other boards have been claiming 8-10k miles out of this tire on ZX12's, which are tire destroyers . At first I was concerned about grip, but after a couple of runs through the curves, I'm well satisfied with the amount of grip offered by this tire. If the mileage claims prove true, I'll leave all the 4k mile tires for the racers.

PS, once you hit the wear bars, you have 500 - 1000 miles left, but your bike won't be nearly as enjoyable because the tire will be worn too far from it's original profile.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love the Z6's. I get almost 10k out of them on my R1100S. Great in the wet too. Provide plenty of traction. I can get my cylinder heads down with those on. I just moved to the M1's on my 1000RR. Hope I can get 5k out of em. Oh, had the Diablo's on the 1000RR. The M1's are way stickier, but again, we will see how many miles they are good for.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Belive you will get a bit longer life out of the Bridgestone BT-014. I have found best to use BT-012 on the front & BT-014 on the rear. Basically the smaller the number the softer & more sticky they are though that also means they wear out faster.

For instant I note most Yamaha FZ6 bikes, in this area, are fitted with BT-020 as it is closer to a cruising tyre in traction & also a good tyre in price & traction for that make/model rather then something as soft as you are using. Yet the Yamaha FZ6 riders claim great riding ability to a harder tyre they you or I use.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
+1 on the Avons. I got 8k out of the rear on the Z1k. Could've laster longer If it wasnt for all the damn nails. I wouldnt do a track day on that tire, but for twisties the grip is pretty damn good.
I suspect the tire uses different compounds on center and sides. When cold the tire would sometime slip at the beginning of a lean, but wouldnt give once leaned over.
Over all, its a great tire.
As for Diablo's, I love em, but they dont last.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think one thing that would help is knowing how you ride.Do you hit the track,twisties,striaghts,drag? Theres a diffrence in tire for each catagory.It's the diffrence between a 8k pilot road and 4k 208. Tires are built for diffrent riders.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
You guys grip about getting 3k or more miles out of a tire...????

When I was riding on the street, I was Lucky if I got 1800 mi. out of a rear tire....;)

Vash...which Diablo's did you have ..?

·
Registered
746 Posts
BTW 1percenter was talking about the metzeler sportec m-1 supersport. A 180/55zr 17 will run you $196.95. Let me know the size of tires your bike has and what brands you are looking at and I can give you prices out of our books.

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
SPORTEC M-1 180/55ZR17 RR $114.85
Available here

Hammer: just the regulard diablos, not the Corsas. However I'm putting an end to that. Going to Avon ST46 street tire and something like a corsa or simular for the track. Diablos end up being an overkill for the street, and not enough at the track.
Now my only question is, how many times can you take a tire off the rim and put it back on without messing it up (I suspect I'll have to invest in another set of rims.. why did I have to pick such an expansive hobby?)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Vash - damn our books are expensive.

If done properly you can mount new tires on your rims for the life of the bike, or longer. You see those old harleys that have been redone many times and they have the original rims. Your rims should not be harmed if a tire store mounts your tires or they are liable for them and have to replace them.

-M-

I just bought a set of rennesport tires for $230 on clearance. This job does have some perks...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mstrand: The dealer markup on tires is out of this world. Thats why I buy mine online, and invested in a tire changing machine.

I believe my second question was misunderstood. What I want to do is get a set of track tires and a set of street tires. So I would be changing tires before every trackday (Ideally monthly) and taking my street tires off and putting them back on. I know tires can be taken of an put back on 2 or 3 times, but what about 6-8? I'm concerned there might be some sidewall damage.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hmmm, yes I thought you were talking about your rims. I haven't seen or heard about the effects on tires by swaping them out that many times. Use a lot of that tire goo when you change your tires and that might help. Unless you start ripping the bead you should be fine. Might also seach for junkyard deals on some rims that would fit your bike so you don't have to worry about it.

Our cost on those m-1's are $134.50, man we are getting raped on the price too. I'm online shopping from now on.

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
LOL, I long suspected that online deals are better than dealer costs, now I know for sure!

Is there anyway to find out which rims will fit on a zx10? I'll settle for older heavier rims for street tires, but they have to bolt up (so I'm guessing they need to have the same size brakes?)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Check your owners manual, if you still have it, for the specs. We could do some searching online, but your book should have all the wheel specs in it. Then we can cross reference and see what other bikes have those same wheels and start hitting the junkyards. Wheels should be pretty much the same on the newer models, all 17in. but the hubs could vary.

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I know which bikes have the exact same rims (the zx10's and the 636's) however I'm not sure which bikes have wheels that will fit.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Ok we are going to have to find axle diameters, and yes the brake size is going to have to be the same. I don't know if all the street bikes have the same axle diameter or how to even find out. If the axle is the same then maybe you can swap your rotor out if it's not. Try calling a multiple dealership in your area. They might have some clue but most likely not. I will start looking online.

-M-

Hey just found a set of chrome rims for a zx10 on ebay for $599.:D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Vash said:
I know which bikes have the exact same rims (the zx10's and the 636's) however I'm not sure which bikes have wheels that will fit.
Not only do the axles & spacers have to be right, but the chain must line up in the rear, and the rotors must line up with the calipers everywhere. Best to get a spare set of rims that you know are correct.....ZX10 rims, or some Dymags, etc... set up specifically for your bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts