Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Speedvision today, and they were talking about the Dunlp 207RR. Which appearantly is race compound with street traction. I ride a 2001 R1, and I know I don't ride the bike anywhere near it's full potential. But would something like this be beneficial? The tread on my bike is getting pretty thin, and it will need new tires by next season. I've not experienced a problem with the stock tires that came on the bike, and I have no experiences with other brands to compare their performance to. To give you an idea of the roads I'm riding, I'm located in central Indiana. Nothing incredibly twisty, but we have our share of twisty country roads.

Also, what is a good tire pressure for the front and back tire? I've been reading between 30 and 36 psi is best. It also seems that people keep their front tire a bit lower in pressure than their rear tire. Is this for handling purposes?

As always, thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I don't know what you're paying out there but at chapparel I can get a pair of 207 ZR (read carefully, not the RR) for 210 installed (wheels off the bike). I imagine the RR will run somewhere close to 100 bucks a set more. In my experience the 207 ZR never even hinted at sliding all the way to peg (not peg feeler) grinding and knee dragging angles. It's an awesome tire, especially for the price. And when I was doing mostly commuting it lasted well over 4k miles. I hear of some real hard sport riders getting less than 2miles when ridden to the extreme in seriously tight roads but I doubt that's what you're riding in indiana (hey, I grew up in illinois so I know what you most likely are riding). You'll never need the extra grip of the rr tire so save your money (unless this tire ends up a lot cheaper than I'm guessing, $100/set more).

As for pressure, 32 is a good number to aim for if you're not carying a passenger. If it's real cold out, 30 for better grip/warming. Hot out, 34 to keep the tire from wearing too much. Some people run less pressure in the front to get more grip but unless you are good enough to really go at the bikes limit then 30-36 won't matter much and just match front and rear for simplicity. The bike will turn better at the higher end of the range but stick better at the lower end.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had really good look with my Avon Azaro II's. They are very sticky but wear well. Not cheap by any means, but I love them. I agree with the tire pressure's. I stay right around 32 lbs. per tire. Go for the Avon's, you'll love em.:D

Roundel

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm with Apex on the ZR 207's, they have all the grip I need, I can tip the Buell(not that it is the hardest core sportbike out there) all the way down to the peggs,actualy with the tiny race peggs that I have on it, the out side of my boot is the first thing to touch down. For every day riding they stick like glue. I keep my tyre pressures even, just stay within manufacture specs and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
most riders aren't any better than the 207 zr's. i love those tires. they stick, predictable, and cheap. you'd have to find an aprilia owner for more details on the 207rr's. i've ridden on them, but never hard.

the r1-specific 207's last a bit longer too. i do have a personal perference for pirelli's on the r1 (with a 180 rear), but they ain't cheap either.

i would start at 32/32 for pressure.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I guess the only way the ZR is going to fall short is when you start to try and get HUGE drive off the corners. If you're just running a fun (he, he, knee draging fun I say) street or track day pace you can achieve all the lean angle your bike is capable of. As far as I know the really high end tires will offer more grip but at the point the ZR is gonna give up (and slide very predictably I might add), your gonna be running a very serious pace.

Tony or anyone else FTM, what's the 208 like (if you've run'em before), I hear a little less squirm since the side wall is stiffer and some more grip. And what's the difference in the 207 RR and 208? And how much does a set of the RR's cost anyway. I saw a tire display at the motorcycle show yesterday and the 207RR (first I had seen or heard of it) has a tread pattern like what I remember the 208 looking like.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a set of 207RR's on my Bandit, and I assure you they stick notably better than the ZR's. The RR's are essentially an updated 207GP rubber compound on an updated 207ZR carcass. They are also a little stiffer than the ZR's due to the slightly updated carcass.. They dont squirm at all when pushed really hard - The ZR's do just a pinch, but most guys probably wouldnt notice it. The RR's also fall into turns a little faster, and seem to work better on wet surfaces.

·
Registered
245 Posts
No sure on the pricing yet Apex', I received a set directly from Dunlop for an article I wrote. Theyre just hitting US distributors right now. From what I understand, they wont be too much more than the ZR's. I've only had mine for a little over a month, so I dont know what the wear is like yet.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
apexismaximus said:
I guess the only way the ZR is going to fall short is when you start to try and get HUGE drive off the corners. If you're just running a fun (he, he, knee draging fun I say) street or track day pace you can achieve all the lean angle your bike is capable of. As far as I know the really high end tires will offer more grip but at the point the ZR is gonna give up (and slide very predictably I might add), your gonna be running a very serious pace.

Tony or anyone else FTM, what's the 208 like (if you've run'em before), I hear a little less squirm since the side wall is stiffer and some more grip. And what's the difference in the 207 RR and 208? And how much does a set of the RR's cost anyway. I saw a tire display at the motorcycle show yesterday and the 207RR (first I had seen or heard of it) has a tread pattern like what I remember the 208 looking like.
i use bridgestones (damn 18" rear wheel). i raced on 207gp's last season on the endurance bike. they were so good. and thanx to the 208's, very cheap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe somebody can comment on this. I've noticed that manufactures recommended tire pressure has alot to do with the bikes center of gravity. Most of the bikes with rear biased weight have higher pressure in the rear. My blackbird for instance recomends 42/42, it's a rather heavy bike. Where as your lighter bikes are in the 32psi range, like 30f/32r i often run 37/40 but with this bike much less and i'll devour a tire. I also run the 207ZR's there really good tires, but seem to be warm weather biased, under 70deg and they tend to slide alot. Anyone tried a set of Pilots on a Black Bird?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
apexismaximus said:

I've always ran the 207's and I really liked them. They are very predictable and could be pushed hard with confidence.

But I switched to the 208's and I'll never go back. :eek: :) They are just like the 207's but better in every area (except for wear).

I don't have any experience running the 208's on the street (I rode the bike around town a little). On the track they are awesome, but did start to let the rear step out at Willow (but that's after an entire day at the track and Willow is really hard on the right hand side of tires). And when it did start to slide around it was pretty progressive, they never just let loose, they would let you know before sliding. It's kind a hard to explain.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tires??

I loved the 208's!! The ZR is a good tire but as mentioned not intended for hard riding or track days. I had a set on at a track day and beat the crap out of them. They don't run well at high temp, nice slides and somewhat predictable, but no fun.

I prefer the Pirelli Dragon EVO or the Metzler Rennsport Street. The Rennsport Street was rated higher than the Race version by Performance Bike (U.K.)

Pressure? I run 42 rear and 36 front to keep the wear even and lessen the cupping.

P

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Re: Tires??

Paul 750 said:
I loved the 208's!! The ZR is a good tire but as mentioned not intended for hard riding or track days. I had a set on at a track day and beat the crap out of them. They don't run well at high temp, nice slides and somewhat predictable, but no fun.

I prefer the Pirelli Dragon EVO or the Metzler Rennsport Street. The Rennsport Street was rated higher than the Race version by Performance Bike (U.K.)

Pressure? I run 42 rear and 36 front to keep the wear even and lessen the cupping.

P

oops I forgot that, The Dunlop man said 31 front and 29 rear, I thought that was kinda low but he said "trust me, for the track 31/29". I did and they were awesome.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Paul 750 said:
For the track, I agree completely with the lower pressures, wear isn't an issue on the track and grip is king!!
I always ran 34/32 and never had a problem, even running the 208's at that pressure I never had a problem. But I figured he know bests.:D I always run 31/29 now as my bike doesn't see the street anymore.:p

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Headhunter said:
Maybe somebody can comment on this. I've noticed that manufactures recommended tire pressure has alot to do with the bikes center of gravity....... on a Black Bird?
I think it has most to do with speed and weight issues. The tire will build less heat (as a function of weight and speed), i.e. run cooler and therefore be less likely to fail due to high speed runs. I see this more as a way to decrease legal liability and also so owners don't get pissed over short tire life as tires wear faster the hotter they're run.

Very much IMHO and 0.02 disclaimer added.:D :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts