Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a TL 1000 R, and will be taking it to the track for the first time. I don't want to shred my 'daily commuting" tires (BT 010's), so I'm looking for suggestions for track day tires. Nothing to extreme or expensive. I was going to get Michelin H2's, but they only make 180/55-17 rears (the TLR runs 190/50-17's). Is it worth switching? How about Metzeler Rennsports? Or BT012's?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
well, as far as which tire goes, I've run the DOT race Metzler rennsports, and the Pirelli dragon super corsica. Both are fantastic tires, but I like the pirelli's a little bit better. They both have the same feel, but the Pirelli's have held up a little longer. Both handle so neutral that you forget you have tires. It lets you focus on your riding a bit more. One thing I really like about the Pirelli's is, when your pushing them hard, and they are about to run out of traction, they give you a very small, very smooth very controlled slide. Kinda like they are talking to you, and saying ah, ah, ah, no more, your about to run out!!! I've never had the Pirelli's really come loose. They slide so predictably.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
how fast are you?

if you think you're gonna go out at set the world on fire, i would get the michelin pilots. they just seem like the hot tire this week. personally, i like the pirelli/metzler stuff (same tires, different thread patterns). d208's are nice tires, but you really need a race license to get a good price on them.

if you think you're gonna go out, ride around, and not be the "winner" of the track day (those who do track days know what i mean), you can use any street tire that fits. my preference is a dunlop d207zr. they're cheap and they stick.

you can use take-off's, but i wouldn't on your first weekend.

and 190's do suck. use a 180 and you'll see what we mean. there's a reason the gsxr750 has a 180 now. the gsxr1000 has a 190 because it's a cooler looking tire.

i do recommend new tires either way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I gotta say I love the dunlop 207's. Just got a new set with a 208 up front, 207 rear and can honestly say bthey are the best tires I have ever had on. But, when i was street riding and running a bit slower at the track i loved the Metzler sportec M1's. If i had a street bike and was taking it to the track those are what i would put on. track only the 207s

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well im a DUNLOP kinda guy so im gonna say go wiht the new d207 RR (race replica) they are the same 207 GP compound on a street carcase for better feel.I have about 3000 miles on mine and 2 track Days at MID-OHIO and they are holding up great!! They are holding up much more than the race Pilot H2's and i like the feel alot more as well.

Im using these RR's on a R6 and the H2's on a bixxer 1k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts