Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is the largest rear tire mountable on the stock wheel of an SV650? Stock is 160... Does Metzler offer the stock tread design on a larger scale? Thanks everyone...:D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Personally and IMHO, I hated the stock tires. They aren't sticky enough for me. The Mez 3's or whatever they are are made for touring, not sport riding. I went to Dunlop 207's and am much happier.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Chris,

You're better off sticking with the 160 width and not trying to go wider. The bike is set up for 160. Modifying the suspension is a more productive avenue of improving the handling.

Yeah, the stock Metzelers aren't so hot. Once you wear them out, Bridgestone BT010's are an excellent tire. If you ride a lot of highway miles, I recommend a BT010 on the front and BT020 on the rear. The BT020 still gives good grip but won't square off as fast if you have to spend commute time on the freeway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old squid-
How can a wider tire hinder performance? If it was a car I'de have all the answers but am relatively new to bike mods. I would think that a matched set of tires with a wider tire in back could only help in the grand scheme of things. Has anyone had negative effects from putting a wider rear on back of an SV? I do, however, agree about these tires seam better for touring pourposes. I dunno, just seems like a relatively inexpensive mod that could help handling in the rear. I've already gotten a bit squirrely going into third on a turn. Kinda caught me off guard, the tires were warm.

Erica-
Are the 207's a wider tire? If so, did you have any clearance issues?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Ummmmm, the handling will improve if you put a slightly larger tire on your bike. It allows for more rubber to touch the road when riding at speed, and made the bike fall into leans easier, but that also has to do with the shape of the tire. I wouldn't go any bigger, as I'm not a pro racer, but clearance shouldn't be an issue. A 170 should fit fine on a stock rim. I'll get back to you, but I believe my rear is a 170, and I'm much happier with it now.

Tire selection should be based on purpose: If you ride a lot of highway miles and not a lot of twisties, go for a more tour oriented tire, stick to the same size. If you want to lean it over as far as you can go in the twisties, go for a race compound tire, possibly bigger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the 207 considered race compound? I'm really doining it for two reasons; 1st: I want to be able to lean into the turns deeply (Priority),2nd: I just flat out like the way it looks to have a bigger back tire on a sports bike. Do you have a hugger plate on your SV? A larger tire might not fit under one... At least one that's made for an SV.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Why do you need a hugger? I have never seen the point to them, from a performance standpoint.

207's are one of the stickiest tires you can get for the street. I prefer them to the Michelin Pilots, but that's just me. IMHO Dunlops are more proven. I've never run on Bridgestones, but I know a lot of people who like them.

First of all, go for the sticky tires. Whether or not you have a fatter tire is secondary. Remember, at any one time, you have no more than 4" of bike touching the road at any time.

I agree with old squid on the suspension issue. Get a good shock for the back, it will help your riding in the twisties, you'll get less sag.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I agree with old squid. The bike will perform better in normal situation as is.

And look how skinny GP tires are.

But like any other irrational person out there. I too will go one size up in the rear with 207's.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
elo said:
I stand corrected.
As you should...:D ;) JK, also re: tire brands, I ran the 207's, and didn't care for them, I replaced them with Pilot's and right from the get go, liked them..keep in mind that different brands will have different profiles..some, like the pilots tip over faster, and eaasier..imho, when it comes to grip, some like the pilots require more time to heat up, whereas the Metzler rennsport heat up pretty quick. The one thing I didn't care for on the 207's was they tended to flex, by that I mean the tire seemed to flatten out, and didn't feel as secure, some riders like that, as the 207's will slide with predictablity, the pilots will step out also, and with some degree of predictablity, but the pilots seem not quite as stable on the entry of high speed sweepers, they will squrm a bit, but I did like them in the tight stuff. So..I guess for my next set, I'd get the perilli supercorssa's/rennsports....weather or not, all these brands mentioned come in the sizes you require, I don't know...:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a quick question of y'all? How many miles should I expect from my Mez 3's? I have about 3k on mine and it sure seems like they are flattening out rather quickly. I ride mostly to an from work on surface roads and then do long rides in the country on windy roads on the weekends. Not much freeway. So it just seems a little early for the tire to start wearing like this.

Any info would be much appreciated:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
MeZ Tire Wear

SVinAustin,

There's a number of factors in how quick the tires will wear. What style of riding you do, how much you weigh perhaps, freeway or highway time (doesn't matter which if you're not getting a chance to lean it) vs. twisties, correct inflation pressures. Also, if you are you're accelerating hard on the straights, that'll square off the rear. in that case, you might try gassing it more when it's still leaned as you start to straighten up coming out of the turns.

For me, weigh 200 lbs., stock suspension, a fair amount of commuting: my rear stock Metzeler was pretty well toast at 4500 miles. Down to the wear strips in the middle and getting squared off. The front was evenly worn and seemed to have at least 2-3k left in it.

I changed to BT010's front and rear. Again, too much commuting and the rear is starting to square off a bit, front is fine. If I had it to do over, would have put a BT020 on the rear.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I got up to 5500 miles on the Mez3's (4500 of which was commuter miles) with no end in sight, until I got a flat. I've never been so happy about a flat tyre in my life! ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The stock SV tire is (was?) the MeZ4. When shopping for tires go to the tire manufactures web site, look up the model of tire, and there will be chart that shows what rim widths each size of the tire will work on. A 170/60 is usually optimized for a 5” rim, 4.5” being the smallest ok rim. Most 160/60 tires are designed for 4.5” rims.

There have been 2 versions of the Dunlop 207, street and DOT race, the race is being replaced by the 208GP. A couple of years ago I tried one street 207 170/60 because of a mail order mistake and the cords showing on the old tire. Didn’t do anything evil but I thought it sucked, made the handling feel heavy compared to stock.

I’ve been happy with 120/70 & 160/60 BT56SS tires, slightly stickier than the BT010. Use them for a few days on my track SV, then put them on the street SV. The 56 has taken me from beginner to advanced track days, this year I’ll need to use DOT race tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well the stock Metz's stink IMHO... When I switched to a set of Bridgestone BT010's the bike really came to life. It is much more stable in a straight line, sticks to the road much better, and is very predicible. The 207's are too peaky of a tire for me. The turn in very quick, one the the quickest tires to turn in. The 207's have a very trianglular profile, and the Metz's have the roundest profile available in a street tire. The Bridgestone's are middle of the road, giving the best of both world's.

My stock Metz's lasted a little over 4,000 miles or commuting and street carving, and that was pushing it. So far the BT010's are looking much better than the Metz's after 2000 miles.

But all in all I feel the Bridgestone's suit the SV better for all around riding (50% commuting, 40% hard street riding, and 10% track time), where as the 207's would be great for a track bike.

Disclaimer: I do not sell bike tires, only use a shit load of them. I usually go through three sets a summer. And so far after Metz 4's, Dunlop 207's, BT020's, BT56's, and BT010's, the BT010's are my choice.

Oh and about the hugger's, they are nice because they keep the crap off of the rear shock, and keep the under side nice. I have one on the rear of my SV, along with a fender eliminator. It looks killer, keeps the shock clean, and doesn't allow too much crap and rain on my back. No more than stock actually! (If you can believe that)

Check my WWW below to see the bike with said mods...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts