Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had my 01' GSX-R600 for a month now. "Chicken Strips" are gone and I ride every day. I wanted to get at least a 900 to start, but I read everyone's "first bike" posts and ended up getting a 600 to start. I loved it at first and was amazed how quik it was for a "600". It's "always" fun and enjoyable to ride, but I just want more POWER. I am usually a fast learner, but I just didn't think I would want a bigger bike this soon..........Am I the only one? Any thoughts???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Is this your first street bike? How many years have you been riding?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
To be honest with you bro, I felt the same way quite a few years ago. I purchased a '96 CBR600 F3, as my first sportbike. I had it for about a month, before I felt like I was getting bored. I thought I was ready to go up to a larger bike.

I wound up hanging on to it, though, as soon as I realized there were a lot more things involved than going fast in a straigh line. I found it was a hell of a lot more fun, trying to perfect 4-gear wheelies, and stoppies, and then rolling stoppies, and then....

The point is, if I'd given up my 600 and traded it for a 900, I probably wouldn't have learned quite as much as I did. It's a hell of a lot easier to learn those kinds of things on a smaller displacemnet bike, than on a lot of the liter bikes. (Except for the 60 and 70-mph stand-up's on the highway, they seem to come up a little easier when you've got a lot more ass behind your wrist.:D )

Don't be too quick to ditch the little bike, until you're sure that you've learned to ride it to it's full potential, (which most people, including myself, probably can't actually do).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
I take it that you don't ride in the twisities ??

Or, is that you want more striaght line speed ?

If ya do ride in the twisties, are ya sayin that you can run the 600 to the MAX ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I know how your feeling, but I have to agree with these guys. This is my first bike, and I thought that I wanted to have more power too. The reality is, that the bike is still fast. I still can't quite wheelie very good, and I am not that qucik in the twisties. So, I feel that I have a ways to go b4 I get a larger displacement bike. Besides, I can still whip the pants of most cars.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I know that I don't and can't ride the bike to the "MAX" in the twisties, but I can and do ride through the twisties as fast as I would want to. I can keep up with my friends who are on bigger bikes in the twisties. What I want is.... NOT for them to LEAVE me when we come out of the twisties, DAMN I HATE THAT !!

So "NO", I don't ride the bike to it's limits, but I'm real comfortable, and want more POWer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
RonJon said:
Well, I know that I don't and can't ride the bike to the "MAX" in the twisties, but I can and do ride through the twisties as fast as I would want to. I can keep up with my friends who are on bigger bikes in the twisties. What I want is.... NOT for them to LEAVE me when we come out of the twisties, DAMN I HATE THAT !!

So "NO", I don't ride the bike to it's limits, but I'm real comfortable, and want more POWer.
Then you have aways to go on the 600...unless you do 100mph sweepers all the time, in the tight, and medium stuff, you should be able to stay with em, or pass em, if they are pullin ya real bad, you need more speed goin in, and comin out...

I'm not trying to critize ya , just sayin that gettin a bigger one, won't make ya a better rider, keepin the 600 will..give it some more time....and practice..I think you'll find ways to stay with, or lead them bigger bikes..:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
RonJon said:
What I want is.... NOT for them to LEAVE me when we come out of the twisties, DAMN I HATE THAT !!

So "NO", I don't ride the bike to it's limits, but I'm real comfortable, and want more POWer.
I know exactly how you feel. I have the same feeling when I ride with the guys. They are always taking me in the straights. The problem is many people have said, that is what can get you killed. One of my buddies said, that if I can't wheelie my bike good, I'm not ready to move on. I know that may be a poor indicator of progressing to a big bore bike, but it does have some merits. He says that I haven't mastered the bike yet. He said you have to take baby steps, or you can get yourself killed. Anyway, I know how your feeling, because I have some of the same feelings. I just have to realize I need to be patient. Good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Hammer 4 said:


Then you have aways to go on the 600...unless you do 100mph sweepers all the time, in the tight, and medium stuff, you should be able to stay with em, or pass em, if they are pullin ya real bad, you need more speed goin in, and comin out...

I'm not trying to critize ya , just sayin that gettin a bigger one, won't make ya a better rider, keepin the 600 will..give it some more time....and practice..I think you'll find ways to stay with, or lead them bigger bikes..:D
I also went through the whole 6 month or less I can't keep up with my friends with the big bikes. They are kicking my a$$ through the twisties deal, until I realized it wasn't the bike it was me! Then before I know, I'm waiting for them up the mountian. I do now own one of those big bikes that I wish I would have had back then but that little bit of HP difference (ok maybe a lot) can and will be how you learn to be awesome once you have a big bike. Just because your chicken stripes are gone doesn't mean a thing, I know many a riders that have gotten rid of them just driving around town. Be patient you'll learn alot!


Ride Safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
RonJon said:
Well, I've had my 01' GSX-R600 for a month now. "Chicken Strips" are gone and I ride every day. I wanted to get at least a 900 to start, but I read everyone's "first bike" posts and ended up getting a 600 to start. I loved it at first and was amazed how quik it was for a "600". It's "always" fun and enjoyable to ride, but I just want more POWER. I am usually a fast learner, but I just didn't think I would want a bigger bike this soon..........Am I the only one? Any thoughts???????
How many miles you got and what's beating you?:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
I'll stand by wat these guys have said. Stick to the 600 until you've "mastered" it. After my first 2 months i was goin through the twisites THAT I KNOW pretty fast but i know it wasnt max. But i told myself 'hey i didnt think id be rolling that hard on the throttle coming out of turns this soon'. However on a more mellow day i made a simple mistake and now ive got to get used to it again. Just goes to show theres always more you can learn.

So how do you get past that feeling of going too high on wheelies? Tryin to stay in the air but when i feel it gettin higher i think i roll off the throttle too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
You'll understand what everyone is talking about when you meet that one punk on an EX500 that you just can't get away from. No matter what you do he's always on your ass. Had a CBR900 and no matter what I did he was always on my ass in the curves, i'd leave him in the straights, but there's nothing more aggrevating than that little bike with half the hp being in you mirror, no matter how much aluminium i've left in the curves he was always there. That kid in my oppinion was ready for a bigger bike, and his attitude confirmed it. When asked why he didn't have anything bigger, he always stated because nothing could take him in the curves, he was right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
Take the GSXR out on a track a few times, and you'll learn really quick that not only is the 600 a great bike, but you definitely haven't mastered it enough to justify saying you're bored with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Bikes are like guns... they whisper to you telling you that you are now the master, and that no man can hope to stand against you...Trouble is, they're also liars! As soon as you believe, and start acting like you do, something happens, usually painful.
Living in FL, where straight line speed rules, I can understand your desire to get a faster bike, but tell me, what percentage of your time do you spend above 150?
I would suggest that you enjoy your bike one more year. Get to know all you can about suspensions settings and maintenance. Make some handling adjustments, and get to know how they feel. Practice braking and countersteering until they become as second nature to you as breathing. These are the things that larger bikes will be less forgiving of, if a mistake is made.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
elodello said:
Take the GSXR out on a track a few times, and you'll learn really quick that not only is the 600 a great bike, but you definitely haven't mastered it enough to justify saying you're bored with it.
Good idea...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Think Bigger is Better??

I had a gixxer seven (perhaps the best choice....) and now ride the 1000....I know I hadn't mastered the 7, The track tells me that. Get a full set of leathers and hit a few track days, not only will you learn a lot, but you'll feel compelled to keep the bike.

On the street, there are a few things you can do to improve your top end if that's what you're missing. Buy a good full system exhaust, K&N filter, get a PCIII and hithte dyno. Then change the gearing for a more optimal street setting. I fooled with my seven so much I was smokin R1's and 929's when it came to top end time. They swore it was a bored out motor......

Now that I'm on the bigger bike, I really have to be disciplined in my application in corners, straights are a bore now cuz I blast away from literally everything in 3rd.

Enjoy grabbing your bike by the neck and giving her everything. Plus, if you have less than 5000 miles on her, she's not broken in yet....hasn't given you all the power yet. Trust me on this...I have 20000 miles of proof.


P



P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What can I say......Thank you.
I think I will now hold onto the 600 (for a while anyway). It's just that around here, straight line speed is the name of the game (a game that I will wait a little longer in line to play).
Thanks again for all the input
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
RonJon said:
What can I say......Thank you.
I think I will now hold onto the 600 (for a while anyway). It's just that around here, straight line speed is the name of the game (a game that I will wait a little longer in line to play).
Thanks again for all the input
Ahhhhh..good move Ron, in the end..you'll be glad ya kept it..let us know how everything goes..i.e. your improvment, and if ya make to a track..:D

Well...gotta go fix my bike from my lowside today..dang dirt patches....:D
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top