Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. After hearing so many people talk about how quick this or that tire warms up, I have to ask. How do you really know when your tires are properly warmed up? Is it just feel in a corner. How do you trust when you can really lean it over.

And more importantly, does anyone know if Maxxis Promaxx's warm up decent enough. ;)

I have about 4000 miles on the street, but never really pushed it too hard to quick. (I have to ride to far to find a curve, ya know) I just replaced my tires (Metzeler Lasertec's) with the Promaxx's and am anxious to see how the 'feel' might be different. (After they are 'scrubbed in', of course)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I ussualy take about a quater miles before the first corner to weave back and forth. That does a descent job of warming things up. After the first set of corners, I stop, take off my glove, and feel the rear tire.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I usually go about a mile weaving back and forth after about 1/2 mile when its warm. when it's cold I wait about 3 miles to be safe.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
What speed do you weave at? Me about 20-30 as tight a weave as I can hold.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I start out with tight weaves at about 25-30 mph then about 1/2 mile later do bigger sharper weaves at around 40mph

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the input fellas.

I felt my tire this morning when I got home. Never really had to lean the bike to hard even though I took my one curvy road (thank you car that must go 5 under the limit. I see why some guys bust the double yellows :( ) I can't believe it's the first time I've ever done it. (Felt my tire, not cross the double yellow, I try not to do that

I will have to spend some time next time stopping every once in a while to check. :) )

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
twist the wrist said:
I usually go about a mile weaving back and forth after about 1/2 mile when its warm. when it's cold I wait about 3 miles to be safe.
actually, weaving doesn't do a whole lot to help warm tires...and yes, there's been test done to varify that...hard acceleration, hard braking, and turning is what gets em warm..

I hate to be the one to break this to the OP, but I doubt you'll ever get your tires up to temp...it's just to hard to do on the streets, especailly for a newer rider...don't worry bout the tire temps..ect...ride to stay safe...:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hammer 4 said:
ride to stay safe...:D
Thanks. This is my goal, but I don't want to get over zealous in a curve to soon just to find out the tires don't want to stick. My lean angle usually isn't that much anyway:p , although, I did hit the toe of my boot on the ground on an exit ramp one time. Gotta get those size 13's up on the pegs. :twofinger

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well good job on resisting the temptation to pass :) That double yellow is there to keep you and those around you safe. Stick to your guns and keep on following that rule. There will always be other corners - but a pass over a double yellow where you may have missed an oncoming vehicle could end yours or the lives of those other people. The pass wouldn't really be worth it in that case, would it?

Sure wouldn't trade a pass for my life...

Stay safe

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kestrel said:
Well good job on resisting the temptation to pass :)
It was very tempting. Was a good straight to pass (in bikes acceleration terms) with great visibility, but Other than some speed laws :rolleyes: I do try not to find a reason to get stopped by the police. Besides, if I start getting tickets, my wife is going to give me a much harder time when it comes to riding. :twofinger (and I'd hate to have to tell her to take a hike, but don't tell her I said that :D )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts