Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put so many miles on my R6, over 12,000 since Feb, that I'm thinking of making the tire switch from the Pilot Powers, to a Diablo Strada EMS on the rear, and regular Diablo on the front.

Anyone made this switch, or similar? It sounds like it will hold up to the high mileage better, I really have to make some kind of switch, im burning through the pilots like no ones bizness, and I'm not made of cash, so I think this will save my pocketbook quite a lot, but im a bit concerned about the performance change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not a pirelli guy so I can't give you imput on the specific tire you're asking about but on a side note I know that each type is designed to be used as a pair so I don't think mixing would be recommended but this is probably more of a track/performance concern than a mileage concern. If it helps you any I got a little over 4000 on a set of Bridgestone 010's.

·
Registered
892 Posts
wow dude, i thought i put a lot of miles on my bike. hmmm...i looked up the strada's and i think there worth a try. If you plan to do some hardcore twisties i wouldnt put em on but just for street and some fun in the twisties i think they'll be ok. and yes you can mix ur tires, just dont put two drastically different tires like a track tire on with a street tire or something similar but i think that goes without saying.

I'm just at 5000 on my dunlop 208's and still going. but this rear hasnt seen ANY twisties so keep that in mind. and there getting harder and harder to find. i guess i'll try the qualifiers next.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well from what I've read about the strada's they seem to be a good mix of longer mileage but good grip, and the different tires in front was actually recommended by my mechanic, according to him, putting a sport tire on the front while keeping the back tire as the Strada EMS will keep some of my grip, while saving me some bux.

So I dunno, is he filling me up with bullshit? Is mixing tires really a bad thing? Cuz it sounded right to me when he said it, sport front, touring back, for someone who will prolly put another 18,000 on the bike this year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and as for the mileage on the powers, I was getting around 6k miles, that seems about standard for the pilots and I. I run them pretty ragged, but too much of the time spent on them was on distance traveling, not even getting full performance on them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly yes, but this strada seems to be a very good tire on grip too, and frankly, I cant shell out for pilot powers almost once a month any more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
wow dude, i thought i put a lot of miles on my bike. hmmm...i looked up the strada's and i think there worth a try. If you plan to do some hardcore twisties i wouldnt put em on but just for street and some fun in the twisties i think they'll be ok. and yes you can mix ur tires, just dont put two drastically different tires like a track tire on with a street tire or something similar but i think that goes without saying.

I'm just at 5000 on my dunlop 208's and still going. but this rear hasnt seen ANY twisties so keep that in mind. and there getting harder and harder to find. i guess i'll try the qualifiers next.
Actually you shouldn't mix tires with different trea patterns. So if those two tires he wants have different tread patterns he shouldn't mix them as they will hand wet and dangerous roads differently. It just isn't a good idea to mix tires EVER!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Most of my life of riding I have been mixing tyre treads. Now I will admit back in the late 40s to mid-70s there were not the variation let along the better tyres of to-day.

Personally I have been putting Bridgestone BT-014 on the rear & BT-012 on the front of my '97 Yamaha YZF-600r, '00 Honda 929 & the 954.

Very few straights in these Cdn Rockie Mtn roads with most being left & right plus up & down mainly two lane roads. So the above are giving me good wear, and traction plus decent life & PRICE.

The more dense the number like the 014 gives the less traction while the lighter number like 012 is better traction. I prefer the grip at the front & can accept the rare bit of slip at the rear, but it is RARE like going over some recent tranny lube.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You should be fine with this combo and it is actually what I may try next. I'm currently running a Pilot power front and Pilot Road rear. I ride way to much to be going through a rear tire every 3 or 4 thousand miles. It looks like I'll get around 6,000 out of this current combo.

I've run the Diablo stradas and IMO they're the best tire going if you want decent mileage. They stick like glue wet or dry, I never once felt a slip from the rear and I've gone through two sets. Usually get about 5,000 out of the rear. The only reason I wanted to try a regular Diablo on the front is to try and have the set wear out at about the same time instead of 2 rears to each front.

Diablo stradas could be run at a track day if you wanted, they're that good. Much better than the Pilot Road and every bit as good as the Pilot power. It is also well known that the Regular Diablos are some of the best tires available wet or dry.
Go for it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
MikeMirage1 said:
Actually you shouldn't mix tires with different trea patterns. So if those two tires he wants have different tread patterns he shouldn't mix them as they will hand wet and dangerous roads differently. It just isn't a good idea to mix tires EVER!
its the tire characteristics that you have to take into mind. hard, soft, warm up time, etc... tread patterns dont play enough of a role to affect ur ride. most tires in the same class have similar ratios of how much solid tire actually contacts the ground.

·
Registered
164 Posts
running a softer front in a compatible series is old school. on the other a local tire guy can see and hear a great deal. or he can be pushing stock he got a deal on. people are defitely running the combo successfully. i'm on the strada's. how far they'll take you is early days, some are getting amazing mileage some fair. on grip and feel i'd buy again. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts