Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have heard/read about people replacing 190's with 170's or 180's on their liter bikes.
I have also read about someone replacing a 160 with a 190 on a 600 bike.

What are the advantages of switching to a smaller (narrower) tire?

What are the advantages of putting a wider tire on?

I have did a search but can't find any info.

Thanks in advance, troops.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I've heard of people changing one tire size up or down, but not anything as drastic as a 160 to a 190. Not without buying a wider wheel anyway.

To answer your question, the advantage of going from say a 190 to a 180 is that you get a quicker turn in in the corners. Going from the 180 to the 190 will slow down your turning, but will give you a bit more traction.

As far as which is better, well that's personal choice. There's a reason all the pro's use a 180 though. :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I went from a 180 to a 190 because I didn't like the feel of the 180, specifically for the reason that spicersh pointed out. 180's, you can whip it into a turn VERY fast....almost too fast for me. 190 gives me a bit more confidence I guess... Like spicersh also pointed out - it's all a matter of preference!

BTW, Crescent Fresh, who do you know that switched from a 160 to a 190!?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
On my Yamaha 600r I have stuck with the stock 160 & on my Honda 929 I have gone from 190 down to 180 as it give me a bit better handeling. I had the choice of 190 or 180 (that was woren out) just last week & not only did I go with my preference to 180, but also put on a Bridgestone BT 010 instead of the Michelin Pilot Sport. Well I just want to see what it is like in matter of MAKE.

I will be shifting the 160 to 170 in a short while ONLY because it is a tyre I have on hand & knowing this bike is so easy to flick around I do not think it will make any drastic change. When that wears out I will go back to 160.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Smitty said:
On my Yamaha 600r I have stuck with the stock 160 & on my Honda 929 I have gone from 190 down to 180 as it give me a bit better handeling. I had the choice of 190 or 180 (that was woren out) just last week & not only did I go with my preference to 180, but also put on a Bridgestone BT 010 instead of the Michelin Pilot Sport. Well I just want to see what it is like in matter of MAKE.

I will be shifting the 160 to 170 in a short while ONLY because it is a tyre I have on hand & knowing this bike is so easy to flick around I do not think it will make any drastic change. When that wears out I will go back to 160.
How old are you sir, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Unfortunately I will be 74 yrs of age in the middle of this July. So a tip to all of you, in m/cing & life, is DO NOT BECOME OLD. LOL

_

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Smitty said:
Unfortunately I will be 74 yrs of age in the middle of this July. So a tip to all of you, in m/cing & life, is DO NOT BECOME OLD. LOL

_
Well the fact that you will be 74 years old and you still ride says a lot for you, considering a lot of your counterparts have young pretty little nurses to wipe you and give you sponge baths. Damn....when can I be 74?!?! Ha ha ha, just messing with you!

What do you ride?

Since I can't PM you... You were too young for WWII, but did you ever have to serve in Korea and/or Vietnam? I am assuming that you haven't lived in Canada all your life...if so...oops.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slip-On Rapist said:
I went from a 180 to a 190 because I didn't like the feel of the 180, specifically for the reason that spicersh pointed out. 180's, you can whip it into a turn VERY fast....almost too fast for me. 190 gives me a bit more confidence I guess... Like spicersh also pointed out - it's all a matter of preference!

BTW, Crescent Fresh, who do you know that switched from a 160 to a 190!?
Well....assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
I assumed that you had a 160 (F4i under your avatar). I didn't know you had a 180. I just assumed. That's where my confusion was. On a previous post where you said you went to a 190...I thought "damn, that's a big ass jump".
Sorry if I sounded like a smart-ass. I was just ignorant.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Slip-on R there might be a message on its way to you.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Crescent Fresh said:
Well....assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
I assumed that you had a 160 (F4i under your avatar). I didn't know you had a 180. I just assumed. That's where my confusion was. On a previous post where you said you went to a 190...I thought "damn, that's a big ass jump".
Sorry if I sounded like a smart-ass. I was just ignorant.
LOL, dude no sweat. I figured you just made a mistake..none of us are perfect, and anyone who watches me post on here knows that I mess up too. ha ha ha... that's what makes it so great when you can take it in stride. BTW, you are right... 160 to a 190 is a HUGE jump. I wouldn't be caught dead with a 160 on my F4. Or...maybe I would be caught....DEAD.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Errors are easily made. Just a few weeks ago we were chatting about tyre width & I said my 929 came stock with 180 & I changed it to 190.

When it was the very opposit though Hammer suggested I had made an error & was correct. Stock was 190 & I have been using 180 ever since the first one wore out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts