Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to rotate my tires so that they wear evenly. There's only 2, so I would imagine they just go front to back. My question is do i need to turn them around, or are they directional. Just trying to get max tire life. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
One does NOT rotate their m/c tyres. You are still thinking like a cage driver with four wheels of the same width & all. Note that the rear is broader then the front & there is a reason in that like trying to keep you upright while riding.

Naturally you cannot reverse the direction of tha pattern of the tyres for then they would be backwards & again those patterns & what direction is most important in how they are put on the bike to help keep you upright.

You will probably need to replace the rear tyre quite a bit sooner then the front only depending upon how you ride it will not be to long before the front will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
and to add, most bikes have smaller front tires than rear.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure you guys are mistaken.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
unless your bike has "special" tires and a special setup, we're not. i don't know of ANY bike that you can rotate your tires on becuase as smitty already stated, the tires and tread are designed to only be rotated in one direction. AND like i said, they are two different sizes.

or are you speaking about something OTHER than your motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Jerking your chain!

C'mon Smitty and Monkey- can't ya see Tippman's jacking with you guys!?!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
monkey said:

or are you speaking about something OTHER than your motorcycle?
He's talkin' about the Huffy.:cool: Good idea to rotate them. If you've got any bald spots, just wrap cloth electrical tape around the wheel, between the spokes, to extend the wear.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Re: Jerking your chain!

zxrider said:
becuase its tippman, its always hard to tell if he's serious or not. :laughing:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Dad said:
He's talkin' about the Huffy.:cool: Good idea to rotate them. If you've got any bald spots, just wrap cloth electrical tape around the wheel, between the spokes, to extend the wear.:thumb:
beleive it or not i once put duct tape on the treads of my sisters huffy....i thought she would have lowsided..but naw

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I can't believe nobody called :bs: on this until the 6th post! Tippmann is special, but he's not stupid (probably the nicest thing I've said about him :D).

He was screwing with you all....unless I give him more credit than he deserves.....:huh:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Ok, so a serious questions about tires: why is the front smaller than the rear? Would you not get better grip with a bigger one? It would seem that it would certainly make it steer slower, but is that the only reason? I'm just curious as to why they are not matched front and back, or at least within one or two sizes (180 rear w/ 170 or 160 front, etc.). Anyone know?

·
Registered
860 Posts
spicersh said:
Ok, so a serious questions about tires: why is the front smaller than the rear? Would you not get better grip with a bigger one? It would seem that it would certainly make it steer slower, but is that the only reason? I'm just curious as to why they are not matched front and back, or at least within one or two sizes (180 rear w/ 170 or 160 front, etc.). Anyone know?
maybe it might be that when turning the throttle is usaully on so therefore the weight gets transferred to the rear tyre where then makes the front lighter there fore not as much contact is needed to keep the front undercontroll?? its a hypothesis

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
maybe it might be that when turning the throttle is usaully on so therefore the weight gets transferred to the rear tyre where then makes the front lighter there fore not as much contact is needed to keep the front undercontroll?? its a hypothesis
That's pretty much it. The front isn't doing nearly the work of the rear when pulling through a corner. Cornering traction, accelleration, and increased weight from the transfer of the accelleration. That's further evidenced by the wear that occurs at the rear.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Jerking your chain!

zxrider said:

spicersh said:
I can't believe nobody called :bs: on this until the 6th post! Tippmann is special, but he's not stupid (probably the nicest thing I've said about him :D).

He was screwing with you all....unless I give him more credit than he deserves.....:huh:

:D :twofinger :D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
So true for when you turn up the wick fast the bike sinks to the rear & that broader tyre gives traction or will spin out. Reason for the broader r/tyre & same when in cornering.

The front gets more work then in the old days of most being "rear brake end artists" as WE know 80% of more of the stopping power is with the use of the front brakes & f/tyre & WHY a front tyre can become lippy or scalloped is due to heavy use of the front brakes.

For around a year I rode my firs bike being an old '36 Harley 45 flat head & only used the rear brake pedal for there was no brake lever or cable on the front. NOT that single cam break drums were much in those days. Fortunately I spent most of that first year in the bushes/trees & so dirt riding. Talk to a dirt rider & you will find they use the rear brake far more then a street rider.

Fact is I keep on amazing myself in that when it comes to brake pads needing to be replace I find the rear pads are the ones-----------due to so many yrs of dirt comp & NO I have never locked up a rear wheel when I had to stop quickly---did it once on a Yamaha TZR-250 FORGETTING that is what I was riding & not my Yamaha FZ-750 that required more muscle when haulting quickly, so I was sent over the bars of my TZR-250.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Tippmann said:
I was about to rotate my tires so that they wear evenly. There's only 2, so I would imagine they just go front to back. My question is do i need to turn them around, or are they directional. Just trying to get max tire life. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts