Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again, I seem to have worn through my OEM tires and I'm looking at replacements. I have ridden a 97 GSX-R600 with D207GPs on it. They were great, quick turn in, smooth feel, etc. I know these (or the new D208s would be a good choice for me. I'm wondering if anyone has any exerience with different tires on a 2k GSX-R600. I'm leaning toward the Pirelli Supercorsas. Good choice? Any opinions would be Greatly appreciated. (I mostly do street riding, some canyon work and I'm going to the track eventually.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Erik,

It wouldn't be a bad thing to try various tires until you find one that you're comfortable with, and suits your riding style best. I recently changed a set of the Pirelli Corsa's for the 207's. The Pirelli's have a rounder profile than the Dunlop's and Michelin's, and turn-in a little quicker. The problem I had was longevity. Mine were toast after 1200 miles. This is the first set of Dunlop's that I've ran. I usually wear the Michelin Pilot's. So far, they seem decent, but I'm going to wring 'em out this weekend. They're all good. Whatever works for you. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just making sure, we are talking race tires right. Seems like streets would last longer.

Love the ItaliJet. Always wanted a pimped out scooter!! LMOA!

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had a set of the 207ZRs, and they were great. excelent grip and rode pretty smooth. but they did seem to wear a little quicker then normal tires.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Man, those Corsas are expensive eh? I don't like 207GPs on the street. I had them before my 207 streets, and the warm up time is horrible. I'd be stepping the bike out of turns at low speeds, spinning the rear tire instead of picking up the front, you name it. If it was cooler than 60 degrees out, they would never get up to the proper temperature, and if it was hotter out, it still took a good while. If you have to ride a bit, to get to the twisties, or if you do a lot of upright riding or commuting, forget the GPs. My rear tire was getting bald in the middle and I don't do burnouts, and I ride the twisties a lot. I could go out and hit the twisties hard, but between the straights, and riding to get to the twisties, they were so worn in the middle after just a few 100-200 mile rides.

·
Registered
766 Posts
This is purely out of curiosity, but has anyone tried the Metz Rennsports? They have street and race compounds. How different is the street rennsport from the mez3?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a set of pilot race(not the soft)on my yzf 750 and they were great for grip once warm but hell do they wear got 1500 k`s out of the rear(was 2 track days in there to)But if you want grip i`d go for them again.Tires are cheaper than fairings

·
Registered
380 Posts
It Doesn't Matter!!

Oh the joys of living in PHOENIX!!! I love the way pirelli's grip when hot. Anytime after April 1, warm up time isn't a factor. Shoot, the ground has half of the tires running temp already. In term of mileage, I got decent wear out of the 207ZR, moderate wear out of hte 207GP and great wear out of the michelin and pirelli. Gripwise, I loved the 207GP it gave me the most confidence in the corner, but it was suspect on the straights. Best compromise was the pirelli, then the michelin. I also like to run a tire that most people don't, that's why I have a set of the rennsports (metzler) on deck.

P

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul,
I was looking at pirelli. What kind did you have and how did they handle? I was thinking the supercorsas. Or maybe the Evo Corsa. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
GixxerSixxer said:
Paul,
I was looking at pirelli. What kind did you have and how did they handle? I was thinking the supercorsas. Or maybe the Evo Corsa. Any thoughts?
Erik,

I was wearing the EVO Corsa's for a while. Grip was fantastic, and turn-in was good. Then when I switched to the Michelin Pilots, they felt just as good, and gave great feedback in the front. I preferred them to the Pirelli's. Both would only get around 1200 miles per set. The Corsa's took a little longer to come up to temp.

I recently mounted a set of Dunlop 207's. So far, I think I like them the best. Although, when the shop put the new rear on, they mounted a 190 vs. the 180, and I definitely feel a slower turn in. As soon as I cook the rear, I'm going to get the 180 back on.

IMO, the Pirelli's are no better than the other two mentioned, and they cost a lot more.

My recommendation is to start with the 207's. If you don't like them, try the Pilots, you're bound to find one you like. If you want additional info, please ask. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Pirelli Evo's!

I run the Dragon Evo that is the street tire they offer. I have gotten anywhere from 3-4000 miles on them. I don't do burnouts, but I do at least one wheelie each ride. I tend to wear the evenly across the tread (no flat spot) check the pressure almost daily. Plus on the gixxer, I don't ride a lot of passengers.

Costwise, I find the Evo's at the same price as the 207, so that's my preference. Pilots are gonna be more, no matter what.

P

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the 207ZR (street compound) but I don't particularly like them. I've ridden bikes with the 207GPs and they turn in much quicker. So, I'm thinking either the ZRs don't have the same profile as the GPs, or I just need a different brand. Any info on the Situation?
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts