Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to use, what not to use?

My helmet was anti-fog for about 10 days, now she fogs up a bit. I have been just wiping the visor with a sunglasses cloth when I saw a fingerprint, but now she is fogging a bit.

Thanks again dudes.

:thumb:

·
Registered
925 Posts
I just use water and what ever kind of cloth is closest by, and then another piece to dry it. No problems with fogging on either of my shields, but then I have the HJC nose piece, so my breath doesn`t hit my shield... Might want to look into one of them for your helmet

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
My Shoei instructions recommend against using anything but water because of the degradation things like Windex can cause on the specialized materials the helmet is made of.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Believe I have the answer for you as I have two Shoei helmets being a two months old for one & 3 yrs old for the other YET I am using a clear & a dark smoked on each that goes back to 6 or 7 yrs ago. The visors that came with the helmets are put in storage.

One needs a few CLEAN cotten cloths (do not use the same cloth time & time again for a few minutes with some soap & water in hand one will have said cloth clean & it will be dry by the next day or two) then many liquids will do the job, such as Plexus, Armor-All, 303, Slipstreamer & so many others that are ACTUALLY "plastic protectant" liquids. Even famous old Pledge does a lovely job & one can also wax the rest of the helmet with the same. At home I clean my visor with Pledge & one of several soft cotton cloths from woren out jersies, T-shirts, etc.

I carry one of the above of Lord knows what make in a poly container under my saddle with some CLEAN cotten cloths. Often on the hwy for 2 to 5 hrs I need to stop & clean the visor of all the bugs. ALSO when home the visor is cleaned again for the next ride.

Soft paper wiping strips can be used as a sub but they are hard on the plastic visor. One wants to keep that visor even cleaner then when new & with NO scratches. For when it rains down comes the drops along with crap from the cages on the road & all one needs to do is roll head to left & right to remove most of the crap IF you have a visor that is polished that clean/smooth.

Same method can be used to wipe of the fairing visor, mirrors, & nose of the fairing, but in this case I do use some cloths & water to take of the big ones. Then what you used on the helmet visor or face shield.

With the above you will not be looking for a new visor next yr due to all the scratches that seem to be on it & making it hard to see through. In many cases the maker of the helmet will have changed the shape of the visor & nothing else to replace it bar a new helmet. Man if I can do it then so can you for it is so simple.

·
Registered
53 Posts
when I played hockey I used to put shampoo on the visor. For some reason it wouldn't fog when I did this. Just leave the shampoo sit for awhile and then wipe it off.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Only reason for it fogging up INSIDE in these warm days is that you are huffing & puffing inside. Open the visor one click when it town & I do that for speeds up to 80mph.
When it becomes cooler I will give you some tips on the use of a bandanna that will basically cut down inside fogging & also keep the cold air from going up into the helmet areaa.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Smitty said:
Soft paper wiping strips can be used as a sub but they are hard on the plastic visor. One wants to keep that visor even cleaner then when new & with NO scratches.
I`ve used those shitty brown paper towels in store bathrooms on both of my visors, and neither one of them look like they`ve ever been used aside from the finger prints on the side from putting it on. I havn`t seen a visor yet that isn`t scratch resistant (aside from mirrored ones), so I don`t really thing that is an issue. If anything was going to ruin your visor, it would be hitting one of those exoskeleton bugs doing 80mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shampoo and soap are effective against helmet fogging but the problem with it is that you have to regularly do it, and sometimes it's becoming a hassle, so I recently tried some anti-fog visor insert. So far, it is very effective against visor fogging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts