Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now it seems that everytime you go out somewhere and people serve you (waitresses/bartenders), you are supposed to tip but why is it that everyone expects them nowadays?

TECHNICALLY i'm supposed to tip my paper carrier and mailman at Christmas? :wtf: they get paid decent money to deliver so why sould i tip them. ESPECIALLY the mailman?

also, when you go to a hotel, you're supposed to tip the maid too. well what if you only stay one night? what if you stay and leave the "do not disturb" sign out. if they do nothing to my room while i'm there, why should i tip them? i'm not going to give someone money to do nothing.

next thing you know i'm going to find out that i have to tip the gas attendants and grocery store clerks. who else am i supposed to tip?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
F**k that. I'm broke. The person busing my table probably makes more money a week than I do. And I work HARD at my job. How easy do you think it is to lug a 25cft refrigerator up 10 stairs in the dead of summer? Nobody tips me, I'm not tipping them for bringing me another coke when I asked for it.:2cents:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I always tip people. Most waiter's and such dont really make that much hourly and they use your tips too make up for that. I think when people have too work at a job where most of your salary comes from tips you start too tip better. Although when I was a Bellman I used too make a killing for not really doing much. I used too get tipped like ten bucks for driving old rich people about five blocks.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Tipping of maids, mail carriers (though this is TECHNICALLY illegal), and news carriers is NOT new. I was a newspaper boy for ~11 years, since around 1983, and always received holiday tips, at least; I didn't expect, nor receive weekly tips, though. Same goes for mail carriers: holiday tips only, and only if they're good (no wet letters, no misdeliveries, prompt/convenient service).

Sorry, dude, but this has been going on for a very long time. Maids get $1 per night unless I find they're doing a poor job. I've tipped up to $5 for one maid, who brought me pitchers of orange juice at night while I was out at dinner, for consumption the next morning.

Tipping is a way to motivate for extra services, and these people (mail carriers excluded) can and do get paid less than minimum wage (legal since they, theoretically, get tips).

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I am a cheap bastid!!!

I always tip well when I do tip though. I never tip the mailman, or the maid. I don't get the newspaper delivered so there is no tipping there.

I do tip the waitress and the pizza delivery guy. At least 20% for the waitress (as long as she is not a total fawk up) and the pizza guy gets a buck or two and whatever change is left to round it up to an even dollar amount.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I tip for tits and box does that count :dunno:

I also tip my bartenders and waitress' well. They give you the hook up then.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
slaintedan said:
Monkey, you're a cheap bastid!
actually Dan, no i'm not.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slaintedan said:
This from the guy who steals ketchup packets from McDonalds to refill his ketchup bottle at home. :twofinger

ps - aren't you the guy who started a thread about how much he hates tipping people who provide him a service?
i didn't say i hated tipping. i am trying to figure out what the "proper etiqute" is.

for example, you tip a barber, waitstaff, bartender, etc...no problem. their wage is based on them getting tips.

i have family in the mail service and they make DAMN good money for delivering mail ($20 per hour +). its their job, its not considered a "service". same with UPS and FEDEX folks.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Anyone see Resavoir Dogs, the Quentin Tarntino flick? There is a good scene in the beginning about tipping...pretty funny.

When I tip I start at 10 percent. If I deem that the server (waiter, valet, maid, etc.) went above and beyond with a good attitude and such then I tip more. It correlates if they sucked, then they would get less. I am no stranger to tipping above 20 percent if I felt that it was deserved, but if they sucked royally...then they get squat! :2cents:

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
As far as tipping for people that it is their job...pfft. It is what they do. It is their choice to be a mail carrier, UPS, newspaper delivery, etc. I chose the field I am in, and, believe me it is ILLEGAL for me to accept any type of gratuities from any vendor, customer, or otherwise. Why should anyone expect a tip to do something they are already hired to do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts