Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Here, let me reply...again. It's on all GSX-R 96 and higher, perhaps further back. Not just a FI shut off, it's an ignitinon shut off if memory serves me right.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob Nance said:
Here, let me reply...again. It's on all GSX-R 96 and higher, perhaps further back. Not just a FI shut off, it's an ignitinon shut off if memory serves me right.
rob is it in the same location on the 96 750 as well?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am not 100 percent sure, but I would be willing to bet some money on it :D The 96 and 97 were very similiar, and mechanically, the same.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would guess the TL's also. It is not near a problem as this guy would lead you to believe, I don't "think". Don't take my word for it, but I have not personally heard of anyone having this problem. It is scary, to think if your bike wagged in a turn, and threw the little metal slider up onto the contact, or in hard lean it hit it. *shrug*

·
Registered
653 Posts
This thing has been known about for years. I wouldn't doubt that Honda's have a tip over shut off, dunno though.

And as for the Honda thing, I have a 2000 Eclipse paid off, make pretty good money, but since I had just bought the Eclipse, nobody would finance me. I had $5,000 to put down on a 2000 929, and those bastards wouldn't finance me for 4 grand and change.

Oh well, the gixxer is paid in full, so it will become the track bike, and I can get back on a Honda ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Rob, my 929 has a tip over shut off, and I am sure that most other Hondas do as well, but don't quote me on that. I just like to yank Suzuki owners' chains now and again. Not that I really think Suzukis are altogether bad bikes (they are obviously not), it is just that with all the reliability problems they have been having of late, the chain yanking opportunities seem to pop up on a regular basis.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the RC-51s have them and I'm pretty sure that the other FI Hondas have them too. My guess is that most of the FI bikes have them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good point RCJohn. I would imagine that FI bikes are required to have them. If you crashed and the fuel line broke, or came off somehow, the fuel pump would empty the tank all over the place. Probably not a good thing.

P

·
0 Posts
RCjohn said:
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the RC-51s have them and I'm pretty sure that the other FI Hondas have them too. My guess is that most of the FI bikes have them.
The FI VFRs have them, too.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The high pressure required for FI can turn a severed fuel line into a torch if the atomized fuel fuel hits a hot exhaust. It has happened in automotive garages before. Never witnessed it myself but a good friend has from his days as a Cadillac mechanics. He told me that it is amazing watching the "torch" destroy the car. :eek: Sort of a Cadillac suicide I guess. That is why the manuals always warn mechanics to remove the fuel pump fuse before working on fuel rail systems(in cars).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I never had a problem with my 1997 TLS and my new Busa has the same switch on it as with all the other bikes you are talking about. I have not heard of any of my friends having this problem either and a couple of them race TLR's. I feel it could be a problem but tend to think people are looking to put the blame someplace other than were it should be. I wonder how Suzuki sets thier bikes for racing? Is it with or with-out this switch? Also since Suzuki came out with FI on thier bikes I have not seen any mods for this switch in any of the big race part supply companies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tip Over sensor

Guys

You can remove the sensor off Suzuki's by Placing a 1/4 watt, 58k resistor, in its place.

Easy way to do this is, remove the sensor, on the ECU side of the connector bridge both wires with a 1/4 watt
58k resistor. thats it no more sensor.

I did this 2 years ago when the TOS failed on my TLR, never had any problems with it since.

Xup UK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts