Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey well my mark on the swingarm is just at the mark that says to replace the chain....how far past that mark is ok?

also any1 have those coloured chains? does the colour last?

and any1 have a place that has decent chains 4 sale? (coloured or not)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so does the chain stretch as u use it? thats what i thought cause u move the adjuster further apart. if thats the case wouldnt if b dangerous just removing a link or two?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If ya can get the chain off. Hold it off the ground and swing it from side to side. Any more than 2 or 3 inches of "swing" the chain is shot. 10,000 miles (if that) is usually my max. If you replace the chain you should also replace both sprockets. I usually don't though. About 2 or 3 chains per sprocket. The stretch is caused by every links shaft and hole wearing. That is where the side play comes from. as the chain wears it "stretches" and the links get sloppy on the sprockets causing even more wear, specially to the sprockets. If you change your chain more often the sprockets will last longer.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
If the chain is in good condition, why not just pull a link or three rather than replacing the whole chain?

Sepias

If you are suicidal, go ahead and do that.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hmm I guess I was off on that one:D Is it ever safe to remove links? Ive been told that pulling links is a good thing to tighten the chain... I guess I was told wrong?

Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
As said earlier, the chain stretches because the holes in the side plate deform around the pins. If you pull links out, you deform the holes even more, and sooner or later one of them will snap out.
Now consider that the considerably horsepower of the engine is transfered enterly thru the chain. If the chain snaps it will fling off at a very high rate of speed, and should it hit your leg, its going to cause some very serious injuries. I'd rather armor all my tires than pull links out of the chain.

To anyone else reading this: DO NOT ARMOR ALL YOUR TIRES.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
SepiasSoul it is not advisable to chop off a link or two of a woren chain with modern bike as of mid-80s & on.

Also another small test Meat is have the bike in neutral & if you can pull some of the chain away from the rear part of the rear sprocket like 1/2 way up the teeth then YES time to put on a new chain. Sprockets might be advisable. Some let chains go till 2nd change though in honesty it is best to do each time.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks guys, my sprockets look like there in good condition, i think next chain i will get new sprockets and go up and down on the teeth.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Chain/sprockets

If a worn out chain will prematurely wear out sprockets, does it stand to reason that worn out sprockets will prematurely wear out a new chain? I would think so, but I don't know for sure.

I wouldn't want to put a brand new $100+ chain on a set of old sprockets, especially when a new set of sprockets only costs about $45. I always replace chain and sprockets together. Besides, why wait for another 10,000+ miles for a gearing change you want to do? Do it now!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well now u got me thinking about sprockets...

is this a good deal? can get the link to work so here the ebay item# 4627269769

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is the information from the 2004---? CBR1000RR Service Manual

It states to INSPECT your sprockets. It does not say to replace them when replacing the chain. That seems like an unnecessary expense, if they aren't worn.

SPROCKET INSPECTION
Inspect the drive and driven sprocket teeth for wear or damage, replace if necessary.
Never use a new drive chain on worn sprockets. Both chain and sprockets must be in good condition, or the new replacement chain will wear rapidly.
Here is the pict to check the sproket:

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Clutchslip, from what you posted it sounds to me like it is encouraging changing sprockets with chain, of course you should inspect it, but my experience is when its time to replace the chain, do the sprockets too, this way they are both new and wear together, and then your on the same schedule for that entire service. Why do the chain, just to do the sprockets a couple months later. I am a procrastonator, and I got about 15k out of a chain and sprocket set, but it was way over due. the sprockets were in way worse condition than the chain was. I say do em both. Have you extended the adjuster on the swing arm as far as it will go?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always change chain and sprockets as a set, mainly because I find no reason not to. I use an aluminum rear sprocket, and it's only $135 for the set of sprockets with a chain from bikebandit.com. I figure 7-10K is about what I expect from a set, and if I can spend 300 a year on tires, what's wrong with 135 a year (maybe two) for chain and sprockets?

Just to add to what Vash said about the chain breaking. There's much worse that can happen than the chain slapping your leg. A particularly close friend of mine has broken TWO chains due to his lack of bike maintenance. The first wound up in the front sprocket and broke the chaincase among other things, cost him upwards of 700 for the repairs. The second wound up in the rear sprocket and locked up the rear tire at 70. Total loss on the bike and nearly two weeks in the hospital for him. So, yeah, don't mess with your chain :cool:

Ride safe, not cheap :thumb:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
clutchslip said:
Here is the information from the 2004---? CBR1000RR Service Manual

It states to INSPECT your sprockets. It does not say to replace them when replacing the chain. That seems like an unnecessary expense, if they aren't worn.

SPROCKET INSPECTION
Inspect the drive and driven sprocket teeth for wear or damage, replace if necessary.
Never use a new drive chain on worn sprockets. Both chain and sprockets must be in good condition, or the new replacement chain will wear rapidly.
Here is the pict to check the sproket:
thanks dude i was looking for something like that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey, i am trying to find out what length chain i have. manual says its 525 but thats it...any1 know ifs its a 120 118 or what?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts