Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we pretty much know everyone's top speed, but what's the fastest you have been caught doing? Has anyone been caught doubling the speed limit? Did you loose your license? Do you automatically get charged with driving to endanger? Just curious, I find myself doubling more often than I should and sometimes wonder what would happen. Do I just get a fat ass ticket, or do I get my license cut up?

Dave

·
Registered
865 Posts
Dont know if it is still the case, but used
to be in Texas if you were caught going
100mph+ you went straight to jail, do not
pass go.....
Dont ask me how I know this.....

I also just got off an 85 in a 40 ticket
with deferred adjudication (6 months
no tickets) & drivers training & good
lawyer & $$$.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I got one for 108 in a 70. Would have kept on going but I was up all night partying the night before and then rode from memphis back to crestview. SucksI got the ticket 5 miles from my turn off to my house. 278 dollar ticket from a trooper, thats it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pete said:
I never ride faster than the posted limit.
Ummm...yeah, I'll remember that this weekend.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just this past summer:

"150 plus" in a 50mph zone. Typically, I wouldn't have stopped, but it's hard not too when you come to the roadblock.

It was a group of us. We had our bikes impounded, a cool ride in a cop-car, a few hours in the Blairesville jail, involuntarily donated $500 (each) to the White County Emergency Services Department, and had the ole' license revoked for 3 months.

Would I do it again? Probably.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul748S said:
Just this past summer:

"150 plus" in a 50mph zone. Typically, I wouldn't have stopped, but it's hard not too when you come to the roadblock.

It was a group of us. We had our bikes impounded, a cool ride in a cop-car, a few hours in the Blairesville jail, involuntarily donated $500 (each) to the White County Emergency Services Department, and had the ole' license revoked for 3 months.

Would I do it again? Probably.
Was the roadbolck set up specifically for you guys or was it there for another reason, i.e. to catch drunk drivers? Great story though! Hopefully next time you won't get caught.:D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I recently got nailed going 55 in a 25 zone. Oops.

AZ state law states that any time you go 20 mph over the posted speed limit, or 86 mph, whichever comes first, it's a misdemeanor, criminal speeding.

I was very nice to Mr. Officer Sir and he wrote it up for failure to observe posted traffic control devices, which is a "regular" speeding ticket and I was able to go to driving school. Otherwise, it would have been ( I think) three points on my license, a big fine and a mandatory appearance at the local courthouse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The one I got nailed with this past February had a few violations on it. I got hit with reckless speed (120+), engaged in "speed contest" with a car, and crossing the double yellow lines twice. They hit me with a $640 fine and one year probation. The speed contest really screwed me as far as insurance goes. I had to put my bike under my girlfriend's name just to get it insured after that. My insurance company (Allstate) gave me the boot as soon as they got hold of the record.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A little to fast

I was with a friend and we were heading up the interstate (posted speed limit of 65) and I was doing about 95-105. My friend was behind me. We had just hopped on ran through the gears and were going to get off at the next exit. I saw a cop going the opposite way and got on the binders, then I watched to see if he would turn around. He did, so I took off going for the next exit wondering how far I could get before he caught up with us. As I got to the exit ramp, I looked back and saw the cop right on the tail of the guy I was riding with. I didn't want to put him in the position of talking or getting a bigger fine so I pulled into the gas station and started pumping gas and acting like I never saw the cop. My friend pulls in and flips his helmet and says "man you were flying, I was trying to catch you." He never knew the cop was back there. The cop gets out and I expect to be arrested. He says to me "I don't know where you were going in such a hurry, but I got you (me) doing 85 and you (my friend) doing 103". I almost started to dance a jig. I figured my friend would lose his license, but he didn't. He got a 6 point, $400 fine and a mandatory court appearance. I got 4 points and $200 fine. But I was pretty happy with it. My friend talked to the DA and got his points reduced, kept his license, but still payed the money. I considered myself pretty lucky.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have never been caught for huge speeds . Where i live you get to know where all the possible speed traps might be and ride slowly past them and are safe ish to sit ton up pretty much any where else. The local police cars couldnt catch you if you are going more than 100 mph. The only time you have to worry is when the pusuit video cars come up from south. They are supposed to be unmarked but being a small place word spreads fast and everybody is on the lookout for the grey volvo or red saab etc . The best way to keep things safe are stick to the limit in town. And be carefull on any straights that have places where a police car can hide. One of my friends went flat out past a parked police car on his ZX7R and when he arrived back in town they were waiting for him but there was nothing they could do as a black bike blurring past is not a positive ID. He got a lecture and told to watch himself in future.
The biggest speed anyone up here has been done for is 140mph in a 60 zone, they got £2000 fine and a 2 year ban and had to resit a extended driving test after the 2 years.

·
Registered
128 Posts
During my freshman year of college in Kansas, three friends and I decided to drive to Florida for spring break. We all piled into a little Mercury Tracer and headed south. We stopped in Ohio the first night, and then went on to Florida the next day (I know, not really a direct route, but we had our reasons). I drove nearly the whole way and was ready to get there and get out of this little car, so I was absolutely flying down I-77 most of the way. It was late at night by now; 3:00 or so in the morning; and nobody was out, so I just kept it floored, averaging over 100mph in this completely loaded Tracer. Finally, just as we were about to get out of Georgia, I see this car gaining on me slowly. I had been running the fuzz-buster and didn't catch anything, so I thought it was just somebody in a fast car, so I moved over to let them by. Then I saw the lights and felt that sinking feeling that I'm sure most of us know well. I pulled over and rolled down the window, waiting for him. He walks up to the rear of the car, smacks it with his MagLite and ordered me out of the car. With no words of explination, this very old and very pissed cop procedes to bend me over the front of his car, pat me down, cuff me, and toss me in the back of the cruiser. He said nothing to my friends, just took off and they told me they were struggling to keep up with the old cop. He took me to their little county jail, out in BFE, and stuck me in the holding cell, never explaining what was going on, except that I would have to wait until morning to do anything. After breakfast in the morning (grits and weak kool-aid) they wrote me up and explained that my charge was for 109mph in a 55 construction zone, and that I would have to come up with $1800 for bail if I didn't want to stay in their accomedations until court date. My friends went out and found every ATM in the county until they could scrounge up the money to get me out and we went on our way with our vacation. I wrote a very nice and apologetic letter to the Camden County court when I got home, trying to see what could be done to get out of the court appearance which was set for two months later. They generously explained that if I didn't want to show for court, I would have to plead guilty and pay the maximum fine. I didn't have much choice, so I agreed with them and they kept my full $1800 as the fine.
A week later I found out that 20/20 had some kind of speed trap report and guess what number one was? Camden County, Georgia. Right before the state line and with a perpetual constrution zone that somehow never seems to get completed.

On the bright side, despite spending 6 hours in jail, we still got to Florida 1 hour earlier than scheduled due to my previous 10 hours of speeding.

I don't know what all the rules are in Georgia, but at least I never lost my license, just got 3 points and one huge-a$$ fine.

If you doubt that a 1991 Mercury Tracer can move, I've got a ticket to prove otherwise!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
2 years ago, I got nailed going 52 in a 20. The road was perfectly straight and the speedlimit drops from 55 to 20 without any warning for about 100 yards. Needless to say, I didn't see the sign and blew right through the low speed area. The cop pulls out of a driveway and nails me. I decided to fight the ticket and here is where things got interesting.

When it was my turn to defend myself, the magistrate asked why I was going so fast in the 20MPH zone. I told him that I wasn't, and that I had gotten on the throttle at the very end of the 20 mph zone. I then said that bikes accelerate quicker than cars and the cop clocked me in the wrong zone. The magistrate said, "You were on a motorcycle?" I said yes. He continued to say "I remember when I was younger and got pulled over by an officer for going well over the speed limit. He gave me a long lecture and ended up letting me go. You look like a pretty respondsible young man (I was wearing a full suit) so if you promise not to speed like this any more, I'll drop the ticket."

My jaw dropped at the point, and I said "You wont see me in here again!" And then he dismissed the ticket!

Lessons learned:

#1 When you show up for court, dress as nice as possible

#2 Always flat out deny that you were speeding

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: A little to fast

TLSean said:
... I got you (me) doing 85 and you (my friend) doing 103". I almost started to dance a jig. ... He got a 6 point, $400 fine and a mandatory court appearance. I got 4 points and $200 fine. But I was pretty happy with it
A classic case of "I know I just got fooked, but Bubba was kind enough to spit on it first".

Several years ago a friend and I were riding side by side at about 125-130. Got pulled, the cop says he clocked us at 120 and could nail us with "dragracing" but instead writes us for 100 in a 55. Ticket was about $100. I suppose he "cut us a break" but if it happened tomorrow I'd be going to court to fight it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i was caught for doing 157 mph in a 60 mph zone ended up getting a 100o dollar fine. court appreence and loosing my licence for 3 years my insurance company told me that they could no longer hold my policy :crying:

·
Registered
169 Posts
speeding

One unlucky day in the sixth grade I was caught running in the halls for the third time! I was given aftre school detention and had cleen all the eracers. I never did that again.:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've heard rumor about the over 100mph in Texas, go directly to jail thing too. Sure would hate to find out. This past weekend I was headed out on a trip northward up to some twisties and a few miles from the house I see a cop coming round a corner about a mile ahead. I look down and I'm doing 98 in a 65. As I get closer the cop proceeds to pull over on the shoulder and gets out! I'm freakin out thinking he's gonna tackle me. As I get closer, after braking to posted limit (front end takes a dive unfortunately), I notice that he is in the middle of the two lane road. I'm thinking this guy wants me bad. Then I see him kicking a dead cat out of the road. :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts