Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a pretty respectible looking guy, for a middle aged slob, and I'm extrememly polite to officers of the law. That said, I have NEVER gotten a warning. If I'm pulled over, I get a ticket. I have a buddy who has been pulled over more than 10 times in the past few years, and he hasn't gotten a ticket ONCE. **** him :finger: . :rolleyes:

He's uglier than I am, but I sure ain't no Tom Cruise, so I doubt the cops want to spank me for being a pretty boy. And I've been pulled over for 78 in a 55, 70 in a 60, and 55 in a 40 in the past year (all in pickup trucks, fer christ sakes) and I've gotten the ticket every time.

So...are you like my buddy or are you like me?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also have a problem with the law, but it does not seem to be speeding yet-running red lights. Notice a said lights and not light. S#%t happens!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am like you....very seldom get warnings.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never been handed a warning either, but considering the vehicles I drive, and my long hair hippie look, I'm not suprised. If I get pulled over at night my car is usally searched for drugs too. so far I just have 4 barely over the limit speeding tickets.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My personal record is three times in five days, all different cops and two different cars, I got out of two of them after going to court and the third I could have had it been a different judge, of the two town judges for this particular ticket that I would have gone before I pulled the bitch who doesn't care for speeding and likes to make it stick, if I had done my research I would have delayed the trial until I got the judge that was a member of the SCCA and would've let me off, I have never had a whole lot of trouble on any bikes and the police are sometimes cool, except the time that I was riding my EX250 to a picknik and five cop cars ran me off the road and boxed me in thinking that I was someone else.

Never plead guilty to a ticket, and don't expect any warnings because they have to meet a quota, but when it goes to trial it don't matter and they are generaly cool about it then, because it is pretty much a road tax.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I used to get warnings all the time. Between the time that I was 16 and when I turned 18 I was pulled over 6 times and all of them were just verbal warnings. But ever since 18 I have had a ticket each time I was pulled over fortunately there have only been 3 times...

Lately I have just been getting those photo radar tickets and unless I get one from the anal cities I just ignore them because only 2 towns actually hunt you down around here.:finger:

·
Registered
50 Posts
back in '97, I moved to LA. I got five tickets in the first two months I was there. That tends to put you into another frame of mind. Since then, I mostly get warnings unless it is so blatent<sp> of a infraction that the nice officer has no choice but to site me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seems like I get a ticket every time. I think I've gotten 1 warning, and that's when I actually deserved it. Last week, I got pulled over and ticketed for something I didn't even do. Now I have to find a lawyer and find out the ins and outs of Lidar (some kind of laser, but without the sight).:confused:

Oh well...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Generally no, I don't get warnings

I got a warning once from a state trooper in Utah about a mile before I got out of the state. I also got busted for racing a cop (it was dark, I couldn't tell who it was!) and then I got one from a cop I passed almost every day in heavy traffic going the opposite direction at 85 in a 55. He finally figured out where I worked and came into the parking lot. Caught up to me before I got into the building. Oh well, ancient history. NO tickets for me for 8 years now (knock on wood). Don't know how long that'll last now that I have another bike though :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I was younger I always seemed to get the tickets and no warnings. Something about long hair and tattoos I think! I seem to do better now. Amazing what no hair and covered tattoos will do! I recently blasted by a cop going the other direction about 1/4 mile after ripping out onto the main road. I know I was running 90 or better..(I mean a strong 55). Anyway, he hit his lights and I just knew I was toast. He didn't even turn around. Talk about luck.:D I must admit, I did run 55 the rest of the way to work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What fun would THAT be?

Xiroteus said:
Question:

Why not go the speed limit to avoid getting tickets?
If you can overcome the need for speed and ALWAYS ride the speed limit you are a better man than I, and about 98% of the riding public!;)

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Xiroteus said:
Question:

Why not go the speed limit to avoid getting tickets?
Umm, my burning question of the day.... what do you ride? I've seen your answers to a few questions on here, and you are the single most straightlaced bike rider I've ever seen. Kinda hard to NOT speed, no matter what you're driving, unless you have an obsessive need to stare at your speedometer instead of the road.

That said:

If it's a bike cop, I NEVER get out of it (got ticketed TWICE by the same guy! :finger: )!!!

If it's a patrol car, I've yet to be ticketed. (knock on wood)

~Katie

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I don't know if this is true or not, but I had a pet once whose father was a cop, and she told me this. Perhaps it only applies to the area he was in.

Cops DO have quotas to meet, and they are on a monthly basis. They don't call them quotas, they call them "performance standards", and the motorcycle cops were anywhere from 1.5-2 times higher than that of a regular patrol car.

So towards the end of the month cage cops are a lot more likely to give tickets because they gave warnings all month long. Motorcycle cops pretty much never let you go without a ticket, no matter what the infraction.

Again, this is all second hand info, and may very well be bullsh*t. Anyone have anything confirming/destroying my theory?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Big mistake

Some years ago I was riding home from work when I came up behind a local Sheriff. I recognized the cop driving the car; he was in my Army Reserve unit. So, just for fun I fell way back and then let her rip. I passed him doing almost 150 mph. I immediately dropped off to exactly 55, the speed limit. He quickly caught up to me and turned on his flashing lights and siren too. I pulled over and looked in my rear view mirror, smiling as he approached. As he stood right next to my bike, I looked up at him. I thought my face would crack, it wasn't him.
He let me off with a warning ticket and a huge lecture. Apparently he was able to get my friend on the phone. My friend said they all got a laugh when they discussed it at the police station. He said I was real, real lucky, pulling this stunt on the meanest cop on the force.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's the cops fault for not understanding and utilizing his radar properly. Most radar tickets can be fault with good success in court. I have had all 7 of my radar tickets dismissed, with the officer showing up in court every time. I have been fighting tickets in court for 16 years and have developed a good strategy for radar tickets.

1) Get the owner and maintenance manual for the specific radar unit that was used on you. Best way is go to the police yard and look in the car to ID the unit. Call the manufacture and your good to go. After you get the manual, you can better cross examine the officers knowledge pertaining to specific specification of the radar he used. Believe me, cops don't memorize all the shit about their radar unit (maximim range, width of beam at certain distances). If you appear to know more about their equipment then they do, it makes them look like idiots. Nothing feels better then making a cop look like a fool in front of a judge!

2) Subpoena the calibration records and the repair log for the specific radar unit. Most radar manufactures recommend that their units be calibrated at the beginning and end of each shift and also preferable after each traffic stop. Cops never calibrate the unit after each stop. I've had cops use radar on me that has not been cal'd in 8 days. Case dismissed!

3) Subpoena the records pertaining to the calibration tuning fork. This is to ensure that the fork used to calibrate the radar unit is itself calibrated.

4) Subpoena the FCC license that is required by law for the department to even be using the radar unit.

5) Subpoena the officers training certificates pertaining to any and all education that he has received in relationship to the operation, calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of the specific radar unit.
In court ask how long it has been since the officer attended the academy. If the officer said he visually measured your speed, ask when he has had recent, extensive training in visually measuring speed.

6) Subpoena information pertaining to how many radar tickets the officer wrote since the the beginning of his shift up to the time her nailed you. This is to question if the the unit was used excessively (calibration drift).

The list goes on and on! Put some work into fighting the ticket. Walk into court with the attitude of "**** you cop", but massive respect for the judge. I love going to court. I don't care if it takes me 40 hours to prepare a defense. I will do it every time. I don't care if the ticket only cost $40. I will fight it with all my ability every time.

When you subponea all the above info from the DA's office, they will give you the look of "this is only a traffic ticket, not a OJ trial." Well **** them, it's going on my record and out of my pocketbook so Mr. DA, I'm giving it all I got to get off.

If, during court, they don't give you all the info you ask for, just make one statement to the judge. "Your honor, under the discovery clause, I have requested from the DA certain documents and information that is being used against me during the hearing. These documents have not been provided to me and thus it was impossible for me to examine the evidence that is being used against me. I am asking for a dismissal of all charges." Case dismissed!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've only been here now close to 3 months and I just received my first bloody ticket! I basically missed the no left turn coming out of a parking lot. A motorcycle cop pulled me over and quickly issued me a ticket! No pleasantries. Anybody have any idea how much this infraction is going to cost in LA? What does this do to my premium, etc.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The Cops in Colorado hate sport bikes and you can bet if you see one behind you it is written in stone. I was pulled over for doing 39 in a 35 and the officer was a MOTORCYCLE COP.:finger: He looked surprised when I took my helmet off...like he was expecting someone else. I later learned that a fellow rider(Same exact bike, and similar leathers) routinely enjoyed smoking the local law enforcement every chance he got. He thanked me for stopping promptly, but still wrote the ticket. The fine was 50.00 and no points off my license. I challenge the court system every chance I get and encourage others to do the same. I hope eventually the traffic court system is so bogged down that they no longer make a profit off of us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts