Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Well some on the various boards say they want an exhaust system that will deafen those around them.

My bikes are with STOCK exhaust systems because the bikes have bags of power & I would prefer to put the money into petrol, oil, tyres, chains, filters, safe riding tear & such rather then an aftermarket can & then work on the carbs or new map for the fuel injection system.

Interesting thing to note is that a number of chaps are on they hwys with fairly new bikes, bags & such so they are travelling around AND I note ALL, so far, are with stock systems. Can also see that some are quite experienced in riding, so they are not newbies with their first bike. This pleases me I can assure you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Eh, people know they are breaking the law by puttin on after market pipes. They just need to deal with the tickets or stay out of that area.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is my opinion. I have an aftermarket exhaust on my truck, and on my bike. There is a difference between sounding good, and being Obnoxious. I have heard D&D pipes, and I regard them as Obnoxious and ill sounding. I'm not saying my bike is quite either but I know how to keep it quite. It sometimes also nice to be able to remind that dumb ass cage driver that you are next to him. By using the engine, the horn just pisses people off in my experience. I use the horn to be obvious to that jackass that was trying to run me into the guard rail on the way home.

But people should respect other people. I don't run around in 1st gear at 35 MPH in a residential neighborhood. Keep the RPM"s low and keep the exhaust quite.

As far as the exhaust on my truck goes, its pretty quite, even for having the gotten a Flow 40 which besides straight pipes or cherry bombs is the loudest you can get as far as I know. Yes I can make my truck sound pretty loud if I wanted to. But again I don't run around in 1st gear at 35MPH in a residential neighborhood.

As far as my bike goes I could say my exhaust is for performance gains and ground clearance. Which is what it really is for, however I certainly don't need it, yet. But I couldn’t turn down an aftermarket MIG high mount for $150 bucks.
I love the way my bike sounds, It sometimes gets a bit load for me on the highway at about 8k. Also at 8k I'm usually quite a bit above the speed limit in 6th gear. I get it over it. But I also know how to keep it quite. But on the highway who really gives a flying fuck. And if you do, you need to get over your self because the world isn't going to change because you don't like something.

What I don’t get is these little import cars that have these loud exhaust system, Some punk kid that thinks he now had 30 extra HP like the MFG says he gets just by adding this. And now he thinks he has the fast car on the road. I know that there are some cars that need a bigger exhaust system cause the engine is actually built up and has some HP and may need a better flowing exhaust. I also find it funny that when I come up upon one of these types of cars at a light, or on the highway how they kind of keep everything nice a quite,

As far as my bike goes I could say my exhust is for performace gains and ground clearence. Which is what it really is for, however I certainly don't need it, yet. But I coudn't trun down an aftermarket MIG high mount for $150 bucks.
I love the way my bike sounds, It sometimes gets a bit louad for me on the highway at about 8k. Also at 8k I'm usually quite a bit above the speed limt in 6th gear. I just kind of get over it. But I also know how to keep it quite. But on the highway who really gives a flying Fuck. And if you do, you need to get over your self cause the world isn't going to change becuase you don't like something. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
A loud exhaust note is ONLY heard from those behind you & sometimes by those besides you but NOT by those up ahead & they are the ones that will not see you & cut you off.

A loud exhaust note can annoy the cage driver behind you & one should not be surprised if they are almost dugging your rear wheel. True it is tail-gating but it could be your extra loud exhaust note that has annoyed the cage driver behind you & he/she is in one of those moods.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that is the problem, to many people think they live in a perfect world. If they can't do something why should you be able to do it. This world sucks. But duing my time here I'm going to try to have some dam fun. Just becuase you don't like what I do doesn't mean I don't. There is the respect thing though. Repsect other wishes, be civil. IMO thought the horn will piss off twice as many people, then a quick blip of the throatle will. I realize that the the dude getting ready to make a left in front me is not going to hear my throalte blip. Yes he would hear the horn most likely. But I can't use the horn evertime there is a cage driver making a left hand trun or getting ready to. I will spot left turning cagers. Sometimes I catch my self in the most left section of my lane. And yet there is another lane for to trun left for my direction. This lane postion sucks becuase I know they can not see me even though I see them. I will quickly change my lane postion to the right most postion. This quick movement Could piss off somebody behind me or next to me. Or they may thing I'm doing somthing stupid when in reality I'm just trying to stay alive while have fun at something I enjoy. Just the fact that you are on two wheels can piss some one off.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
I like my loud pipe!!! :D :D :D And I'm not taking it off for anybody. In fact it is hard to find any bike in Texas with stock exhaust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m glad that they are finally cracking down on this. I and quite a few of my friends have gotten tickets for a loud truck exhausts and for having our radios up to loud. The cops go by a rule if they can hear your radio 10 feet from your truck with your windows up than its to loud, but at the same time you have the Harley and a few sportbikes ripping through the middle of town in 1st gear. It all comes down to respect why should someone be able to disturb everyone around them just so they can enjoy having people look at them in discuss. It is defiantly a :squid: thing to do. If you want to break the law then you should have to pay. I’m tired of hearing people break the law and then get all pissed off because they have to pay. To them I say :finger: Take respond ability for your actions.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Harley Pipes

This brings up a related topic which is a sore spot with me:

What the hell is up with those OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD Harley pipes?!! The loudest bikes on the road, by far, are all of those straight-piped Harleys. And it's not like their exhaust notes sound sweet, they sound like total crap. The high pitched wail of a piped 4 cylinder sportbike is music to my ears, but I absolutely HATE loud Harleys. The noise emanating from them literally grates on my nerves.

If the cops are going to crack down on motorcycle noise, I can't see why they don't crack down on the piped Harley's. They can't possibly be legal and must surely be violating noise ordinances. They are MUCH louder than any sportbike I have ever heard.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Smitty said:
A loud exhaust note is ONLY heard from those behind you & sometimes by those besides you but NOT by those up ahead & they are the ones that will not see you & cut you off.

:bs: My friend has a D&D on his, and I can hear him when he cracks it open a couple seconds before he passes me.

If I lived where they`re complaining, I`d ride around with my pipe GP style and shatter windows when I pass people from the noise.:twofinger

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
wantanaprilia said:
:bs: My friend has a D&D on his, and I can hear him when he cracks it open a couple seconds before he passes me.

If I lived where they`re complaining, I`d ride around with my pipe GP style and shatter windows when I pass people from the noise.:twofinger
Do you think someone in a car with the windows up and the radio on or talking on their cell phone would hear it?

As stated in one of the articles I posted, they're a secondary safety measure at best. Not one I'd be willing to rely on. I especially liked this part:

First, a word on motorcycle safety:
If you've put yourself in a position where someone has to see [hear] you in order for you to be safe -- to see [hear] you, and to give a f**k -- you've already blown it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think they do occasionally save lives. I have no experience on a bike, but I do have experience hearing them. And for the argument that you can only hear it when the rider is passing/past the cage, that's :bs: . If it's a loud pipe, I hear it way before they pass me. Once I even had my windows up, music blasting (I have a loud sound system with two 12" subs in the trunk) and I began to hear what sounded like a fire siren, it built to a near-deafening sound level (and remember I was already blasting music) and then all of a sudden a bike flies by me. :eek: The point being...they probably do alert (some) cagers to a bikes presence when they wouldn't have noticed them otherwise.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just my :2cents: but I think that if you want to get aftermarket stuff for your bike or your car, it should be with the knowledge of when and when not to keep it quite. If you do the crime you do the time. I have a sterio system in my car that you can hear maybe 1/2mile away easy, but when I go through town I make sure that you can't hear it more then 20' from my car with the window's down. It's all about respect.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's all about moderation and consideration IMHO. The guy on the chopper with straight pipes or the kid with a Muzzy/ D&D revving the crap out of it should get tickets. So should the self annointed anglo saxon gangster wannabe who just spent 300 bucks at Best Buy so we can all hear the baseline to the new 50 Cent CD. Having lived in an apartment with busy road frontage, I generally try to be courteous in the city, especially at night. :2cents:

·
Registered
925 Posts
spicersh said:
Do you think someone in a car with the windows up and the radio on or talking on their cell phone would hear it?

I think I`d be less likely to hear it over the wind and my exhaust at 90mph than a car with its windows up, but what do I know. I agree, if you`re depending on your exhaust keeping you safe, you shouldn`t be out there anyway, but people saying you can`t hear an exhaust before it gets infront of you is BS.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not talkig at 90 and I don't relay on it. But I use it around town to get a cagers attention. It seems that it works. I don't blip the thoratle to redline either. I use it when the horn is not called for but I don't think some one is paying attention. If somebody is about to come into my lane or cut in front of me Trust me I will be on the horn, I'd acutally like to get a louder horn. BTW why doesn't anybody complane that horns are to loud?

Also this was one of my replys on another forum.
You know I just thought of this. I live really close to Langley Air Force Base. And when I was taking my MSF course. There most of been about 10 Jets that flew over us. I had to hold my ears it was so dam loud. The instructor had to stop talking becuase nobody could hear it. Maybe we should give them tickets to.
But you don't see many people compaling about that, and if they did they deserve to be shot.
Calm down Guys/Gals don't take that the wrong way I'm just using it to show a point.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts