Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been told that when starting a bike with the choke on, don't give it any throttle. My bike manual says something to the gist of "applying throttle will result in hard starting". Is that difficult starting, or is it hard on the bike?

When starting it when it's cold, I generally find that I have to use some throtlle to get it going. I have the idle set to a healthy 1400rpm, but it would almost seem like the starter motor isn't turning it over fast enough for a self sustaining speed when using choke.

------------------
Dave
CBR600F3

·
Registered
65 Posts
Whatever you do, don't rev the bike when starting it cold, very bad! With my bike being a twin, it can be cold-blooded and reluctant to respond to the choke. I just crack the throttle when the rpm's dip, bringing it between 800-1000 until it catches. I'm also at 4500' ASL so I'm dealing with thinner air too. Let the temp needle start to move before you give it the gas. If you're having more than "normal" difficulty, you might need to have some carb work done and/or check your air filter. The thing to remember is it's a Honda, so it won't be a big deal :D...

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC

·
Registered
79 Posts
My understanding is that you shouldn't give throttle while choke is on. Only time i would do this is when wakeing the bike up from hibernation and she wont respond to "normal" start-up attempts. I have an R6 which is a weird starting bike (my opinion). It wont start cold with choke! I use the throttle to start her from cold like when shes warm way. Then i use a few secs of choke till she revs herself to 3000ish. at this point i shut of the choke and will blip throttle every once and a while or just hold her at 3000 manualy. either or till shes set. Im surprised that your Honda is being bitchy to start. My F3(prev bike) was beautifull to start.

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't describe it as bitchy to start, but it just needs a blip of throttle. I don't rev it excessively - never over 5k. I leave it at full choke until it revs to about 3k, then I kill the choke and she smooth idles at 1400.
She'll start warm without any throttle, choke or anything. Just generally the first start of the day it needs that throttle.

Hmmmmmmm....
The bike had a new K&N fitted just before I bought it. Don't think they fiddled with the carbs at all. Not overly bothered about the problem, just wanted to know if I what I was doing was bad for the bike.

Cheers all.

------------------
Dave
CBR600F3

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check your plugs if it starts hard. Remember that the first few seconds are ripping your engine apart because of lack of oil curculation. If the plugs aren't the answer, port your head, to give it more air. (easily done by a trained professional)

------------------

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't think what you're describing is bad for the bike at all.

Every situation is different, and it seems like every different model has its own "preferences" for starting.

But first, please note, if you didn't know already, that modern "chokes" aren't really chokes at all, in the sense that a real choke closes off the air passage through the carb, which effectively richens the mixture. You feed it the same amount of fuel, but less air with a choke. Hence, the name.

What modern bikes have is actually a "fuel enrichener" circuit. When you open the "choke" lever, you are sending extra fuel through an orifice that is separate from the normal jets. So you feed it the normal amount of air, with a little extra fuel in it. That's why you're not really supposed to open the throttle while you start it up.

What I usually do for any given bike is, first I check to see if it will start with no choke or throttle, just hit the starter. If that doesn't work, then I give it progressive amounts of choke. If it gets to the point where the choke is full on, and it still won't start, I turn the choke OFF, and try using a bit of throttle while I start it.

Eventually, you'll figure out what your bike likes. In Arizona, with our heat, it seems like you almost never need any choke on any bike, year round. But there are always exceptions.

If you do crack the throttle with the choke all the way on, you won't harm the bike. At worst, you'll just flood it a little with extra gas. But assuming the bike's in decent running condition in the first place, it'll burn it off and clean itself out by just running...

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AZ Scott:

If you do crack the throttle with the choke all the way on, you won't harm the bike. At worst, you'll just flood it a little with extra gas. But assuming the bike's in decent running condition in the first place, it'll burn it off and clean itself out by just running...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*******. Thanks. The bike is in decent running condition, but unfortunately most of my riding is round town at the moment. Lack of dosh and lack of time means that I don't get to take it for trips more than about 20k at the moment :(

------------------
Dave
CBR600F3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts