Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mss Round 1
-----------------

First off, want to express heartfelt commiserations to the Silver Bullet, who has maybe got a total loss on his hands after some fucking idiot dumped oil all over the circuit from turn 4 through to the pit lane entrance as he limped back home to lazy, ignorant, experienced or intelligent to figure that leaving a trail of oil on the racin gline might have serious repercussions for those following.

I didn't see where or how Nils came a cropper but it was during Supersport Race 1 and was obviously a big one as his bike was a complete mess. I think there was some talk that the accident may have blown Nils R6's motor as well as his engine casing was cracked but the bike was still running in the gravel?

- - - -

My own weekend was no less eventfull, but very fortunately without the same outcome.

Free practice on Saturday morning was always going to be an interesting affair.... Season opener, with lots of new faces, new bikes and a re worked turn 7. So I wanted to try to get my head down and see where I was going to sit in the grand scheme. Was therefore fairly happy to be 7th, but realised that this would inevitablly change once the qualifying was underway.

Qualifying ...... or lack of it as things turned out. I stayed back in the pits to let the procession of bikes get half way round the lap before coming out to get a decent run at some clear air. Rod scott had the same idea and managed to get out just ahead of me with his ill handling R1 hardtail ! Long story short I was closing the gap in on him after one flying lap when I gassed up out of turn 2 only to see a bike down to my left and simultaneously my own bike started screaming bucking and yawing, throwing me clear out of the saddle. Miraculously I somehow recovered from this to realise that there was oil on the track which evidently was the cause of my near miss. Marshalls were pretty quick with the flags, and I took it gently around the rest of the lap to see that they then red flagged the session. When the session was re-started it decided to piss with rain so no point to go out.

The first Superbike race followed the red flagged and disastrous Supersport event. There was enough cement dust down to suggest that it was a safari rally stage and not a circuit race, but actually track was not too bad. My start was shit and I bogged the engine momentarily before lauching it skywards... 12 on the grid was i think 20 somehting out of turn one leaving some catch up to be done. Got my head down and set about picking my way through the field. Was pretty knackeredby lap 13 but had got back to 8th place and had 7th firmly in my sights ...... Should have left there, as I brake too late down the main straight and trailing the brake into the turn washed out the front end in a Blue Cat special. Daft thing to do really as I was a bit tired to catch it in time, but there you go.

The Boys managed to get the bike back together for Race 2 and I set off from the back of the grid ..... (26 bikes from 33 made the second race if I recall?) .... I got myself up to 14th and was fighting for 13th but made a mis judegement and dind't realise there was a cheeky stalker just behind me or nipped under me and powered to the line .... !!!!

The paintwork's a bit scuffed but bike looks good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks BC, nice report!

Seems like an eventful weekend. Really sorry to hear about Silva's misfortune, I hope the bike is not too badly damaged but sounds like it could be, though. Do you think the guy with the oil was aware of him spewing it on the track? I understand this was the first race for the guy who blew his engine, was his bike in a good condition? Did anyone else go down on the oil?

What's that about turn 7, how has it been changed?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Track Amendments

yellow peril said:
What's that about turn 7, how has it been changed?
Turn 7 has had traffic calming measures installed by the Royal Selangor Council which includes a sleeping policeman bump just on the apex of the corner.

Turn 3 has also been re-modelled, using the Innsbruck ski jump drawings as a blue print.

How many people went down on oil ? I think 7 over the course of Saturday and Sunday.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Track Amendments

Blue Catt said:
Turn 7 has had traffic calming measures installed by the Royal Selangor Council which includes a sleeping policeman bump just on the apex of the corner.

Turn 3 has also been re-modelled, using the Innsbruck ski jump drawings as a blue print.

Thanks for that very informative reply. Now I can picture exactly what the changes are.:finger:

They left turn 4 alone then? I thought they were talking of laying cobblestones there to make it a bit more challenging.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Correct

YP, I will not even bother to comment on my crash now.
If you have the chance to go around Sepang again you will realize that BC's description is spot on.

Edit:
Sorry about the above answer, came across a bit terse.

Anyway, to put things right:
When trying to even out the hollow that was at the exit of turn 3 it seems like they basically laid down an extra layer of asphalt on top of the existing one. The result being that there is now a small step up when going from the old asphalt onto the new patch. However, the worst part is where the new patch ends. It feels like a 10cm drop in the level between the new asphalt and the old. Hence like a ski-jump. It is just were you really want to get on the throttle exiting the corner so very unsettling on the bike.

What they have done on the reworked turn 7 is basically trying to make it wider. I don't know what kind of foundation they have made (or not), but it feels like they have just laid a layer of tarmac on top of the grass. It's bumpy, slippery and not on level with the rest of the track. Coincidentally this new patch of asphalt also ends exactly where you want to get on the power exiting the turn...

·
Registered
35 Posts
mss one

Thanks for the news BC we are following it more closely than the MotoGP.
Really pleased you guys are still battling it out _ really sorry about Silvas weekend (no physical pain anyway? look on the bright side).....

N.O.T.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Half full??

Doesn't look too bad Silva, but if it's got a cracked case it might be different :eek:

What about a summary of what happened, or was it a simple everythings going alright one minute, then oil then sandpit type deal??? :mad:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Of course only the repair bill will tell the true story but i agree with GD it doesn't look that bad. Welll certainly not if you compare it my 916 after a turn 6 PG get off or Boycie's R1 :eek:

There's hope yet Saliva...but do a proper job and have the frame checked and aligned...you won;t regret it. Don;t let the monkeys here just do a swop job for a "bolt on repair"

Hows that parts list comin???:thumb:

·
Registered
560 Posts
The story

Ok tried to make it short, but couldn't be bothered with shortening it down. Please bear with my ramblings:

Got the race parts on the bike during last week and only had the race exhaust missing on Thursday eve. It arrived at Thursday midnight at Dirk's place who was kind enough to transport it for me to Sepang. I rode the bike from Singapore to Sepang on Friday morning. The Friday practice was from 3-6pm and the exhaust was finished installed by 4pm only. It looked/sounded beautiful though, but I was a bit apprehensive as the guys had forgotten to bring/install the frame sliders.

I paid the track fee and got out on the track. As I was leaving the pits drops of rain started to come down. I managed to get 1 whole dry lap before it started raining and I went back to the pits. The bike felt good but would definitely have been nice with more practice knowing that I would only get 20mins of practice and 20mins of qualifying on Saturday.

Practice and qualifying was dry so was steadily improving. Even so, I only qualified 11th out of 16 racers. So less then impressed by myself. More practice would have been more then welcome.

Come Sunday and Race 1, I had a decent start and managed to reach turn 1 in front of Boycie who had been starting beside me on the grid. I overtook 1 more on the next lap and was at this stage in 9th as Charles Hernes in front had jammed his clutch at the start. There was already developing a gap to the group in front and I used 5 laps to bridge it. I managed to overtake guy at the tail end of the group and was looking to catch the next guy when we came up on turn 4.

Yellow flags were being waved and there was a large cloud of dust. Everybody slowed down and I felt a twitch as there was something slippery on the tarmac. Exiting the turn I naturally thought the guy that had crashed was the guy that had dumped the oil. I waved my arm trying to get them to get the oil flag out... Anyway, going into turn 5 the green flag was being waved, so full steam ahead. As we go into turn 6 I'm hot on the heals of the rider in front, but suddenly he stands the bike up and I'm thinking "Why the fuuuuuuuu...". As the bike ahead clears away from the racing line and I'm about to hit the tarmac, I see this fat line of liquid on the track. I hit the deck pretty hard and saw the bike sliding on the side. As the engine casing digs down the bike rocks forward and the front tire digs in and flips the bike over. I don't see what happens from there because I also flip over and smack my head pretty hard. When I finally stop I stand up, walk out of the gravel trap. When I reach the barrier I turn around and see that I was not the only one caught out. 2 other bikes went down on the same corner. Mine was the only one that started tumbling causing serious damage, and therefore I was the only one who could not start the second race.

The guy that blew the engine seems to have dropped a valve. I'll post picture later of the hole in his engine block. It is the size of a matchbox if not larger. There is no way he could not have heard the engine go, and it is mind-boggling how he managed to continue through 3-4 turns with the bike in that state. However, as his team manager said "That is racing"...

The pic above shows the bike from its best angle for the time being.
A picture from the other side would show the crushed tank/left side of the bike. The pic also don't show the now curved shape of the exhaust canister which is bent against the swing arm. The top of the fork legs have also been ground down. I've still no idea about the state of the frame, fork and swing arm.

I've already ordered some billet engine covers from Graves. Even so, Yamaha Singapore advises that there are still no spare parts for the bike. So the only alternative for the moment is to scavenge from a new bike while waiting for parts from Japan.

Here is the preliminary parts list:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for the info BUT I can't agree that it's 'just racing' when some tool runs through three extra corners with a rod sticking out which in turn brings down at least 3 bikes :-(

I did notice the other side looked much worse for wear!! Well at least it's now got that 'racing' look - haha

·
Registered
560 Posts
Gixxer_Dave said:
Thanks for the info BUT I can't agree that it's 'just racing' when some tool runs through three extra corners with a rod sticking out which in turn brings down at least 3 bikes :-(

I did notice the other side looked much worse for wear!! Well at least it's now got that 'racing' look - haha
That was my sad attempt at sarcasm...hehe

Actually 4 bikes went down (also the guy at turn 4 causing the yellow flags there).

"Racing look" indeed. Now I don't need to tippy toe it around anymore!!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Saliva if you think you're ordering "rear end complete" as an item you need to reconsider.

Coffee anybody....cos i can smell it

·
Registered
560 Posts
bigphil said:
Saliva if you think you're ordering "rear end complete" as an item you need to reconsider.

Coffee anybody....cos i can smell it
As in "Rear frame complete" as in "SUB-FRAME complete". At this stage I'm exhausting different options for sourcing the parts, but seems like I'm at a loss.

Henry found another part I need:

Description: Bracket Tank Fitting (1 piece)
Part Number: 2C0-2413Y-00

1 - 20 of 37 Posts