Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, anyone that has seen my previous threads knows I was curious to find out about wheelies & stoppies on my CBR1100XX, as well as find out what was causing that damned annoying headshake. Well, here is an update:

While still curious about wheelies, I did find out about stoppies and fix the headshake on the bike. This was accomplished by mashing the bike into the passenger side door of a Honda Civic on my ride home yesterday.

The stoppie had to have been nothing less than art in motion, unfortunately the landing and dismount were less than graceful. The Civic turned in front of me when I was going approx. 20mph and there was no time or room to do anything other than wonder what my upcoming hangtime would be. I hit the brakes and felt the a$$ end come up and then BAM!! The next thing I see is sky as I'm laying on my back on the other side of the car wondering WTF just happened. Apparently I got launched over the car and did a flip to land on my back, which was thankfully padded by the huge fleece I had in my backpack. Good thing I didn't have the company laptop on me though.

Luckily there were lots of witnesses who saw it, and it very obviously was not my fault, but it still sucks because my 'Bird is going to be totalled out I'm sure. The frame did not only bend, it actually broke and the front right side was pretty mangled too.

There is always an upside though...I'm sure there is no more headshake that I was experiencing before (ok, technically thats only because it's not driveable...details, details). I also dragged my first peg. Unfortunately it also was sheared off in the process, but again...details details.

Well I managed to walk away from my first get-off, it certainly could have been worse. I'm pissed about it because I'm not sure what will happen as far as replacement or payoff or anything, but there is nothing I can do about it. It's odd though, like a pressure has been lifted off of me now that I have gone down for the first (and hopefully last) time.

Even if I am out of the riding scene for a while, I will definitely keep coming here to learn and participate in this excellent site!!

Ride safe everyone!!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Congrats on the stoppie, most people would have froze and not scrubbed off any speed prior to impact. Solid response:thumb: :thumb:

Sorry to hear of your trouble, good luck on the settlement(s) and keep us up to date on any happenings.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i'm sorry this happened to you, but your post is quite simply awesome!!!

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
You know, I told spicersh that if he didn't like the wedding present I bought him, all he had to do was tell me, not wreck the darn thing! :D

I'm glad he's okay, because if he wasn't, ya'll would be reading about him bailing me out of jail for finding the knuckleheaded driver of the cage (hello, did you have to floor it to cross stopped traffic?!?), and beating his a$$.

That was probably the scariest telephone call I've ever had, and I am hoping I never get another one like it...

~Katie

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
spicersh said:
There is always an upside though...I'm sure there is no more headshake that I was experiencing before (ok, technically thats only because it's not driveable...details, details). I also dragged my first peg. Unfortunately it also was sheared off in the process, but again...details details.
ROFLMAO!

Glad your ok bro!

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I had a similar thing happen to me about two years ago in my old cage, only I was the at-fault driver. I did the same thing to a van that he did to me. I turned through traffic into their right of way, which is what he did to me. Pretty much no chance of him being able to pin it on me.

One of the guys I work with was ahead of me a little and saw it. He only gave me a 5 on the dismount. I thought that was a little harsh of a score, but maybe he's going to try to be a German Olympics judge....

Thanks for the posts, I'll definitely keep everyone updated.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
FZR400Tony said:
i'm sorry this happened to you, but your post is quite simply awesome!!!
He's a verbose little ba$tard.. you should hear him in person! :twofinger

·
Registered
379 Posts
apexismaximus said:
Congrats on the stoppie, most people would have froze and not scrubbed off any speed prior to impact. Solid response:thumb: :thumb:

Sorry to hear of your trouble, good luck on the settlement(s) and keep us up to date on any happenings.
Apex speaketh the truth. Glad you're ok. Bummer about the bike; but now you can get a new one:thumb: I went through about weeks of grieving when my baby got totaled. Just sitting there looking at pictures...weeping...:( . But now, like an ex-girlfriend, I've got my eye out.

Again, glad a rider made it out of this safe.

:thumb:

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's great that you're okay. Next time, though, you should add a half twist into your flip and land on your feet. Don't forget to point your toes and smile at the judges.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Knight of Ni said:

Apex speaketh the truth. Glad you're ok. Bummer about the bike; but now you can get a new one:thumb:
You know what sucks the worst about getting a new one? THIS ONE WAS NEW!!!! I just made the 4th payment on it yesterday! :barf:

Oh well, back to the drawing board, I think the next bike I buy him will be a 250. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
glad your safe!

A friend of mine lost his knees on his handle bars-glad to hear you hung on as long as you could,. flipping over the mess and not becoming part of it.My friend let go of his bars(put his arms out-as if to catch himself:eek: )It was not pretty:hurl:

bet the cager would have seen something that could have damaged him!
hope you get a new bike soon,getting back in the saddle feels good:thumb: :thumb:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: glad your safe!

wedge said:
bet the cager would have seen something that could have damaged him!
hope you get a new bike soon,getting back in the saddle feels good:thumb: :thumb:
The thing I think that pisses me off the most is that had I been in my cage at the time, his passenger would have been dead.

I hope I can get a new bike soon too, that XX is the bike I wanted for years. Unfortunately by the time I get the money to get another one I doubt they'll be around anymore. I LOVED the silver one, and the new 2003 one I am not so thrilled about. :crying:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, the insurance will pay enogh, allowing you to get a 2002, some screaming deals should be able to be had, you might end money ahead:cool: :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Man that suhucks! I'm amazed at your sense of humor though, way to keep the chin up and I'm really glad you're ok. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts