Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no need to look up this bike, you should just know it.

check out the nice job i did with ms paint.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slaintedan said:
I want to say '60s Norton 'cause of the paint scheme, seat, and tank, but the exhaust/engine doesn't seem right for a Norton.

Hmmm...:confused:
you're not wrong.... :cool: but you're not right....:p

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just a few things, these bikes weren't produced by a manfacturer per se.

no comments on the awesome job with paint. :D

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
FZR400Tony said:
just a few things, these bikes weren't produced by a manfacturer per se.

no comments on the awesome job with paint. :D
Is it a Norton w/ a Vincent motor? Didn't they call them "Norvins?"

ps - I won't say anything about the paint job... :twofinger

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i thought the norvin would be a million times easier than a fuji scooter. :)

you got it. norvins are norton "feather bed" frames with the mighty vincent v-twin (in the heavier vincents, actually broke 150 mph at bonneville, when many bikes were lucky to break 100, i don't know how fast norvins went, like i said they were home spun fun). they weren't as common as the triton (triumph-powered nortons), but very significant custom-built bikes bike.

this one is clearly owned by fine gentleman who's into pink hair and ac/dc. :)

one of my favorite pics from that page is this one.

http://www.thevincent.com/terryprince-spl.jpg

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Tony,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a famous picture of a man wearing nothing but a helmet, boots, and shorts laying on the rear fender with his chest against the seat while making a record pass of 150mph on a Norvin? His body looked like a naked arrow streaking along the desert. LOL

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slaintedan said:
Tony,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a famous picture of a man wearing nothing but a helmet, boots, and shorts laying on the rear fender with his chest against the seat while making a record pass of 150mph on a Norvin? His body looked like a naked arrow streaking along the desert. LOL
yeah, it was on the cover of life or time magazine (i think) and it's the salt flats that he was on. apparantly, he could only hit 149.XX with his gear on, so he tried to get more streamlined by getting into swimwear. i think his helmet was actually a swimming cap. but don't quote me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rollie Free

If you check this sight there is the detail on the run made by Rollie Free. That picture was actually taken at speed from a car running alongside. Keep in mind that he made this run in 1948.

If you look around on the site you can also find a letter from Phil Vincent to Rollie Free.

http://thevincent.com/vinbath.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts