Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the fastest that you've ever gotten your bikes up to? Both on and off of the track. I have only been to the track once, and it was on a 250cc bike, got to the top end though...like 80. My fastest was a GSXR 750, 160mph. I have on at least 1 occasion topped out every vehicle I've owned, next up the 929 I just bought. Im not bragging..if anything I'm just looking to see if I am the only dumbass who feels the need to top out their rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
65 :twofinger
 

·
Resident Smart Ass!
Joined
·
3,933 Posts
balls75 said:
..if anything I'm just looking to see if I am the only dumbass who feels the need to top out their rides.

Well we appreciate your honesty! :D


But seriously, I hit 150 once, that was fast enough for me thank you very much. ::thumbs2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
trolling... trolling... trolling, in case you arn't, yeah, I like to find a long straight lonly road from time to time, I think the highest I've hit on a bike was indecated in the low 160 range, but speedo's can be WAY off by then. But I plan to keep that mostly on the track from now on. I've hit higher in a cage, 176 verified by onboard GPS, and I ran out of road, that's the only car or bike I never topped out, but then again it's a BMW with a V12 under the hood, it was still pulling hard for 170+. :squid:

James.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
jamesjweg said:
trolling... trolling... trolling, in case you arn't, yeah, I like to find a long straight lonly road from time to time, I think the highest I've hit on a bike was indecated in the low 160 range, but speedo's can be WAY off by then. But I plan to keep that mostly on the track from now on. I've hit higher in a cage, 176 verified by onboard GPS, and I ran out of road, that's the only car or bike I never topped out, but then again it's a BMW with a V12 under the hood, it was still pulling hard for 170+. :squid:

James.
740iL?
or an 8 series?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
I've had my tack between 150 and 160 before. It stayed there for awhile and wouldn't go any higher, so I think that's the limit.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Tippmann said:
I've had my tack between 150 and 160 before. It stayed there for awhile and wouldn't go any higher, so I think that's the limit.
You had 150-160 thousand rpms on your "tack"? I knew these things could rev to the moon, but holy blown motors Batman!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
spicersh said:
You had 150-160 thousand rpms on your "tack"? I knew these things could rev to the moon, but holy blown motors Batman!
:laughing: you arre really frightening me bro. i was thinking the same thing. :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
You can both eat my ass:twofinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
Top speed

Saw 179mph on the speedo on a long, straight, low-traffic highway in New Mexico. Accounting for speedometer error, the real speed must have been closer to 165mph. Pretty common for the speedo to hit 150 a couple of times a year.

I've only taken the bike racing at a dragstrip, where it hits about 120-125.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
Tippmann said:
You can both eat my ass:twofinger
... don't forget Dan!:thumb: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
the stupidest thing i've ever done was going faster than 75mph on the streets. I was with some friends in Lansing and i was in the front of the pack with a 'Busa. After a few miles at +100mph, we decided to goose it and take the bikes to their full power. The speedo was stuck in the 160s, and that was the scariest thing i've ever done. FWIW, everything above 100mph feels the same.

-=bmacd=-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
the fastest i've seen my speedo at is about 145, i think at that speed it's about 5mph off, so i've probably been about 140, i'd say i could squeeze another 5mph out of my bike, maybe 10 if i'm lucky, but it's a naked bike, so my 140 feels completely different from a bike with a windshield, anything over 120 and i'm eating the mouthpeice on my helmet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
I have gotten mine up to 95....that's as fast as mine will go lol. oh well, I don't really need more speed I normally go around the speed limit which is 65.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
I don't know for sure. When I'm going that fast, I'm not usually looking at the speedo.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Dad said:
I don't know for sure. When I'm going that fast, I'm not usually looking at the speedo.:D
Ditto! fortunately, my bike has a built in lap timer that records lots of info...top speed being one of them...indicated 158 before I bailed...that's some scary shit...for me anyways!!! I think the bike had more, but I didn't!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
I go along with Dad, for at that speed one notices a number of things like the so called wide road has becomming so much narrower, what was a smooth road is now a very bumpy one, & that bend up ahead comes on very fast & is all one can do to make it around the bend, while that dot ahead is a car, no it is two or more cars & NOW it is a line-up of cars all stopped!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
Another few things I note, when I am going at around full chat is the fact THAT I am into a vacume of STILL air, for no wind on my chest, or rest of my gear & that so much has quitened down, like no wind noise around the helmet, THAT the sounds have completely changed & I can hear the clatter of the rocker-box while the exhaust not is a sort of subdued woo woo woo sound & lastly there is the throttle being turned up a bit yet turned down a bit as the bike is bucking over the NOW not so smooth a road as when in speeds of 100-125mph or lower.

Yes once one it up to 220KPH & higher things change greatly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
Smitty said:
Another few things I note, when I am going at around full chat is the fact THAT I am into a vacume of STILL air, for no wind on my chest, or rest of my gear & that so much has quitened down, like no wind noise around the helmet, THAT the sounds have completely changed & I can hear the clatter of the rocker-box while the exhaust not is a sort of subdued woo woo woo sound & lastly there is the throttle being turned up a bit yet turned down a bit as the bike is bucking over the NOW not so smooth a road as when in speeds of 100-125mph or lower.

Yes once one it up to 220KPH & higher things change greatly.
That sensation surely is true and well described, Smitty.:thumb:

While I've never really dwelled on it, being that it is, what it is, I've sometimes wondered if it's a true effect of the physics of the whole thing or maybe the ability of the body/brain to "shut down" some of its sensations to afford full focus and attention to the task at hand. I understand the mind does that at times of intense focus. Maybe it's a little of both, maybe it's all wrong. Who knows. I'll shut-up now.:D
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top