Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about getting a bike, but don't know a whole lot about what's out there. I just need some basic information on all the sportbikes out there and what to look for....price, what years to stay away from, makes, models, etc...And any other info that may help me out :). I will be taking a riding class and getting my motorcycle license soon, though i have a dirtbike and know the basics.

Thanks, and this isn't the last you'll hear from me :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been riding for 3 and a bit years and still consider myself relatively new to the world of biking. In my humble opinion i think that all the modern sportbikes are pretty much on the same level when it comes to real world twisty mountain roads. If you've been into a couple of bike shops and seen a couple of models which you like then you can go to this website and look them up. They give you a brief overview of the bike and any recalls or problems to look for when buying second hand.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes/makes?sectionID=50683&navID=13

I bought a 99ZX6R and am very happy with it. I have been commuting 60km's a day to work for the last 2 years plus the odd 300km trip on weekends without a problem. The only complaint i had was the front brakes(they felt really wooden like they came of a Honda or something...;)) so i swapped pads and all is good!!

hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hiya!!
Welcome to SBW!!
Talk to other riders,go to the motorcycle dealers,read all the M/C mags you can,check out a bike show,in other words:get all the input you can!!
You choice should be made on several criteria:
1.Your experience.
2.How much you are gonna spend,(include extra$$ for things like :insurance,leathers,helmet.etc.etc.)
3.What kind of riding your are going to do: more canyon carving or that and also some long distance riding too.
What ever you decide,use your head and ride at your own pace,don't let others force you to ride in situations over your head!!:D
This is the BEST sport out there if done safely AND done smart.
Enjoy!!

JIM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts