Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think of these ridiculous gas prices?

I live in Southern California and I've never seen prices this high. The average price of premium is now $2.05 a gallon. It was only months ago when I filled up with premium for "only" $1.89 a gallon. I heard it's close to $2.5 a gallon for premium up in the Central & Northern California.

I was seriously considering buying a VW Golf 1.8Turbo not too long ago then changed my mind and decided to stay with a 4x4 since I love going off the beaten path & camping with my family. I am now seriously considering buying a Chevy Trailblazer with a big honkin' 270+ bhp V8 engines. However, the current gas prices has put a huge damper on that idea as well. I'm just afraid that gas prices will continue to rise so much in the next few years, then I'll be stuck with a big gas-guzzling truck!

BTW, I suppose this post doesn't apply to people in Europe or Asia where gas prices are already higher. And please, no lectures about the environment and how SUV's pollute more than a car and so on.

·
Squid
813 Posts
Did you know that SUV's are pumping out more pollution than... :D

I wonder what fuel stock returns are like these days.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just got back from a honeymoon on Maui where the 87 octane gas was $2.69/gallon. It's sad, but the $1.62/gallon I'm paying here at home doesn't feel that bad. It's bad, but it could be worse. :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RRDon said:
I just got back from a honeymoon on Maui where the 87 octane gas was $2.69/gallon. It's sad, but the $1.62/gallon I'm paying here at home doesn't feel that bad. It's bad, but it could be worse. :)
That's the thing. Has it gotten better?

I think gas prices have been going up and staying there for the past few years. Everyone has their fingers pointed at OPEC's tight supply and the EPA's cleaner fuel demands. Nowadays, it costs about $30+ to $40+ dollars to fillup a big SUV tank. Which will probably be consumed in ONE day trip of around 300 miles. Or will last about 1 week of daily driving. That's on an SUV getting about 15 mpg.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Actually.....

"Did you know that SUV's are pumping out more pollution than..."

It's kind of funny, I have both an SUV and the VFR. The gas here in Fresno is about $1.89 for Premium and $1.65 for regular. What's sad though is I can go about the same distance in town with each vehicle. I will admit that it is ridiculous that we have to pay this much for go-go juice, but if you want to use your toy's, you gotta pay the price of gas.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Pete said:
I'm rich, so I don't care.
I'm richer, so I could care less!:D

Actually, what is all the extra money for? Are they paying the fossils to work hard at rotting faster and make more oil? Is it soley a cost of production based price, or more of a we got it and you want it based price. And what is it they've got? An intellectual based property that they worked hard at developing or something that's in the ground anyway and they have some arbitrary right to. I think we need more deregulation. Then, out of the goodness of their heart, they will take care of us. :rolleyes:;) What goofball decided we needed regulations or oversight in the first place? Everything was fine till that started happening.:rolleyes:

Oh well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Actually.....

Jester said:
[BIt's kind of funny, I have both an SUV and the VFR. The gas here in Fresno is about $1.89 for Premium and $1.65 for regular. What's sad though is I can go about the same distance in town with each vehicle. I will admit that it is ridiculous that we have to pay this much for go-go juice, but if you want to use your toy's, you gotta pay the price of gas. [/B]
Yeah. But remember, your VFR's tank is what....5 gallons and your SUV's tank is at least 20 gallons!

Anyway, I'm surprised your Premium prices over there is below $2.00. Are you sure you're not qouting REGULAR?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dad said:

Actually, what is all the extra money for? Are they paying the fossils to work hard at rotting faster and make more oil? Is it soley a cost of production based price, or more of a we got it and you want it based price. And what is it they've got? An intellectual based property that they worked hard at developing or something that's in the ground any way and they have some arbitrary right to.....Oh well.
I read somewhere that it's a combination of cost of production, tighter OPEC control on supply(we've got it and you want it), and EPA regulation.

Cost of production is higher and keeps getting higher. As we deplete current reserves, we have to go deeper into the earth and farther out into the desert wastelands to get the oil Oil deeper in the ground is "dirtier" so takes more time and energy to refine.

Tighter OPEC control....that is, they're finally learning to work together to keep a tighter reign on prices per barrel. They make more money. We have the money to pay them. So why not?

EPA regulation. Newer regs to clean up the fuel for environmental reasons costs more to refine. Like always, cost is passed on to consumer.

As time goes on, fuel prices will continue to rise. Gradually. But rise it will. All of the above will affect it to a greater or lesser extent. The big automakers are already hard at work at providing us Americans with hybrid Gas-Electric powertrains for our big SUV's. More power to them. Just because I want to play, doesn't mean I should pay OPEC and bow to the EPA for it everytime. I would guess that by 2010, gas prices would have doubled if not more. So how would you like to pay $80 to fill up your(present) SUV's gas tank?!!. :) I'm not an environmentalist. But I'm not rich either. However, I still like to drive fast, and still like to have BIG sturdy SUV's to take me to the great outdoors. Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait for the hybrids to come out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dad said:

Actually, what is all the extra money for? Are they paying the fossils to work hard at rotting faster and make more oil? Is it soley a cost of production based price, or more of a we got it and you want it based price.

Reply:
--isn't that one of the foundations of capitalism? "what is it worth to YOU?"--if you're american and working for a salary, then you too have the attitude of, "i got, you want it, how much is it worth to you?"

Originally posted by Dad

And what is it they've got? An intellectual based property that they worked hard at developing or something that's in the ground anyway and they have some arbitrary right to.

Reply:
--ah...yeah, just like you have the right to "whatever" is in or on your property (provided you didn't steal it from someone else and placed it on your land nor stole their land.)--again if you are american and given that you're rich, i assume own some land of some sort, thereby "owning" everything on or under it.

Originally posted by Dad

I think we need more deregulation.

Reply:
--(not 100% certain but if i recall remotely well) isn't that what caused the energy crisis in certain areas California?
a deregulation of the industry caused competition (under normal circumstances IS the better choice, however just not in this instance) which allowed outside providers to come in and and screw everything up?

**NOTE:eek::eek:
PLEASE EXCEPT MY HUMBLIST APOLOGIES IF I IN ANYWAY MISUNDERSTOOD YOU --I KINDA SLO-- I CAN BE AS SHARP AS A BOWLING BALL SOMETIMES ---Plus i just got out of an environmental ethics class, so i have little remnants still inside my head----THE MADNESS I TELL YA!:D:D

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Re: Re: Actually.....

Rogue_Biker said:

Anyway, I'm surprised your Premium prices over there is below $2.00. Are you sure you're not qouting REGULAR?
Yup, i am sure that it is premium. I might still have the receipt if you want me to scan it in? :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
RoNiN said:
That was all sarcasm, no apologies required or warranted. Just some questions to ask yourself when your sphincter is feeling abused.

We don't have pure capitalism nor could we. I just think that these broad sweeping deregulation reforms that were started in the '80's are a disaster and they haven't all run their course yet. There's more crap to come. Watch S.S. next. It's coming to the stage right now. You really should look at the history behind it and the history of where they're suggesting that money can go.

Sure there are problems in any regulation and they should be looked at and fixed, but the fix can't always be broad sweeping elimination of any oversight. Intelligent, caring people can do a lot better than that. Before anything is deregulated, a full history of how and why the regulations came to be in the first place should be understood. If that were understood, I doubt most people would back a lot of the broad deregulation as they have. And if they did... so be it... that's democracy.

BTW, owning land does not include the mineral rights underneath it. Nor does mining the minerals under your land, which can cause mine subsidance, ruining your home and rendering your real estate worthless, carry any responsibility to the mining company who got the minerals. Nor should it if you listen to the mining companies.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Tonight, $1.75 premium.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The following is a pre-paid message from the local psyco...

It's all a huge conspiracy. The gasoline companies...the electricity companies...the natural gas/propane companies...and any other big business are all in on it. The main player...the gasoline company of course. Why?! Simple. It is so easy for them to jack up their prices and simply claim that it is government regulations causing the increase. The public buys this BS because it is "always the governments fault" and the government buys it because even they believe it is all their fault.
Then the electricity company jumps in. They jack up their prices under the same arguement and then climb into bed with the gasoline company. They will turn off all of our power if the gasoline company gives them money to do it. Why?! Because when power goes out...gasoline/diesel powered genorators go on.
With players like this involved the next company to jump in is the natural gas/propane company. They of course can claim the same price raise excuse as the previous two compainies and are in bed with the electric company. Why?! So that the public doesn't go out and buy gas appliances to replace all the electric ones.
Then, just to rub it in, any other big business jumps on board and pays the previous three companies. Why?! To jack up their prices claiming the gasoline/electricity/natural gas/propane price increases are forcing them to raise their prices.

Surgeon Generals Note: Anyone who read the previous message in whole or in part is now dumber. Oops...that should have been at the top of the message.

All in fun guys, but kind of makes you think considering I came up with ALL of it as I was typing it.:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts