Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but anyhow. I've only had the RR for about a month now and its a blast. I can do powerwheelies really easy and control it pretty good. What was the next trick? Stand up wheelies.

So I was out with my buddies around 5pm and we went to our local stunt place. A private road in an industrial park where no traffic goes after 5pm. I did some wheelies and got some tips from the more experienced riders and they showed me how to do it. I went slow, 5mph starting out and poping the clutch getting it up about an inch or so. It just felt weird on the RR. But I continued. I kept doing it at a slow speed.

Well... after 30 mins of practicing it, I tried to rev it a little bit more to get a little higher than an inch and then I lost control and flipped it at about 15mph. Since today was 85ish I left my jacket and gloves at my friends place. The only time I didn't wear it. I was wearing it earlier in the morning, but that doesn't matter now.

Anyhow, I got tons of road rash and banged up my right leg pretty good. Half of it was caught on video. I'll post more pics and vid later.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm not gunna flame ya, we all do stupid shit and I think the rash is enough punishment, that and the bike repairs. I dont think Ill be forgetting my jacket anytime soon after seeing that though...
Hope you heal up fast and get back out there.

Sepias

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
As Sepias said, no point in flaming you. You know you were being a :squid: and it's safe to say you'll never act as such again.

Hope you heal quickly.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The good news is that I had all the plastics off and currently, the only damage I can see now is the crank case cover is busted, right handle bar is broken, and the front stay bar is a bit chipped. Other then that, that's all I can tell at a quick glance. I just hope when I look at it more, there's nothing more then that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Get some vitamin E. Will help with the speed and quality of healing.
Hey at least you don't need to get a new jacket. ;) Just kidding...heal up, fix it up and get back out there.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took me 3 hours to clean up my rash. Used lots of alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and iodine. I had so much pain I almost past out. Now, I'm relaxing, ice packs on the leg, and chugging a gallon of gaterade.

I guess I learned my lesson. Atleast we didn't stunt on a main road. I'm glad the owner of the private street lets us practice there.

Video is up.
http://rodsakhnovskih.com/stunt_0002web.wmv

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You crashed and you got it on tape? Awesome. Touching flic, I almost cried. :twofinger

Heal up quick bro. Good luck with the wheelies.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Their better then me, but they are still learning too. They helped me out a lot after I wrecked. Toted the bike to my house and I treated them to some wendies. Best group of friends ever.

·
Registered
489 Posts
shouldn't be too hard to fix. Get yourself a cage man... kinda late. But learning the hard way always works the best. Too bad you didn't get the actual wreck, at least you had a camera though. Heal up and get back out there. just use the gear this tim e:thumb:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Falling comes with learning. Nothing wrong with that. Keep at it, and wear your jacket, sweat isnt nearly as painful to clean up as road rash!!!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If you need help finding replacement parts let me know. Ill be glad to do some net digging for ya.

Sepias

P.S. Nice vid by the way. They got it up fast too I'm impressed.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Glad to hear your OK. I make sure I am wearing all my gear when I am stunting. Sometimes if I am going for a cruise and not stunting on a hot summer day I do the squidly thing which would be wearing a t-shirt. I try to keep that to a minimum though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think my advice for you is don't do wheelies in first gear.

I prefer second myself. You are going a bit faster so the bike isn't as sensitive to everything. Also, first gear is way too geared down and sensitive. Second won't flip it over like a mousetrap. That's just my personal preference, but try it out and see what you think.

I hope you heal up ok, you should be up and riding again soon.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Mikespike2 said:
I think my advice for you is don't do wheelies in first gear.

I prefer second myself. You are going a bit faster so the bike isn't as sensitive to everything.
That way when you do fall, it will hurt twice as much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i agree...dont be a tard man. second gear will just make you crash faster. take some time and get used to first gear. make sure that your overly comfortable with doing level one before you move to level two. it may look cool if you pull it off but it looks really really uncool when you dont...(your picture above) the bp is elusive to some people. takes time to find it. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Obviously, you know to wear your gear now...I sleep with mine incase I fall out of bed!!

#2...if you want to keep stunting, get a cage. Crash cages will protect all the stuff you just busted, including your fairings...and the $250 is a lot cheaper than what you now have to replace.

#3...learn to use the back brake. When you are getting ready, and making sure the front end is straight...use only your back brake, not the front, and that way when you bring it up, your foot is already there and ready.

The object is to clutch it up in 1st so that you get to the balance point (bp) quicker and therefore have more time to play. While in bp, you will use your rear brake for adjustment. This will take some practice, since you only need a light touch...but too light and you are going over. You could also get a 12 bar...it will help prevent you from looping it. Not saying you can't loop it, but i will help.

And it is good that you are getting everything on video, not only does it help so you can see what you are doing right and doing wrong...but you get to see the wrecks as well!! Always make sure you have video when you mess up, makes for good video and laughs later!
My first wreck on my 636 was when I had the sony attached to my tank...

Little explanation on my part of this video. This was the day we were setting up my suspension...everytime we stopped, it was adjusted, so it was like riding a new bike each time. The guy in front had a bald ass rear tire and was really taking it easy that day...in this particular turn, I had had enough and figured to take him on the apex (exit of the turn), was was realing him in. The rag in the road, him going in the ditch, and of course the truck in the middle of the blind turn were all distractions I could have done without. And if all else fails, make your buddies feel better by crashing with them...just make sure you miss 'em!!! And yeah...I know...I could have prevented the accident, even with all those factors...but I didn't so you guys can watch it now!
http://members.cox.net/sportbikes/1st_down_small.wmv

1 - 20 of 29 Posts