Sportbike World banner

Do you do wheelies??

• CONSERVATIVE RIDER: Never do wheelies (NOTE: natural power wheelies don't count)

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • MODERATE RIDER: Once in a while when traffic conditions permit.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • CIRCUS STUNT RIDER: Whenever possible, and for as long as I can hold her up.

Votes: 10 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden several thousand miles on sportbikes and have never really had any ambition to do wheelies. I feel as if I am the only person on a GSXR that does NOT do wheelies.

So I've started a poll to see if I'm the only one who doesn't participate in any mono-wheeled extracuricular activities.:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have watched to many beautiful bikes get trashed by idiots trying to impress, I personally dont wheelie, I'm not skilled enough, and I payed way too much to wreck it. Those that can and have the skill, good luck, I hope you keep the shiny side up.
Ride Safe.;)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I put in a maze of yrs doing wheelies---

----& stunt riding in the dirt or sometimes at small car oval races where I would be paid to go through burning wooden walls, up a ramp, through a burning wooden wall & onto another ramp, & such. A lot of yrs as an Observed Trials competitor & that requires a lot of co-ordination, timing, balance, skill & chance to clean the sections but ALWAYS on crown or private land & none on public roads/hwys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Squid stunts

To those who can wheelie, stoppie, and all of that, more power to you. I'm not out to dis anyone. Me personally, Ive heard of too many innocent bystanders getting hurt by bikes that looped over. There are a lot of bikes out there that will lift a wheel without much effort, and by all means enjoy them. Just remember, people might not get hurt by a stunt once in a while, but that bike on its side grinding to a halt means higher insurance rates for all of us. Me, I'll keep both tires on the ground.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used to try to wheelie on purpose. On my GPz550's and VF700F, this took some effort and planning.

Now that I'm all old and mature and don't wheelie on purpose, I have a bike that just wheelies by accident on the throttle every now and again.

(Riding twisty road behind couple two-up on a Nighthawk S. Keeping it tached up waiting for straight. Passing opportunity arises, swing out to the left, and they watch a bike go by on one wheel with the embarrassed rider yelling "Sorry!" :eek: )

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love it when traffic and circumstances permit.

I'm an older rider so I hope I'm doing it carefully enough.

I can't ride them forever like some but a 50 yard wheelie every now and again is a lot of fun!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
UFO said:
20 years riding....never had the interest. I'd rather have two wheels carving through some twisties than any amount of one wheel on a straight. :D
I love cornering like the next guy, been riding for 12 years but when warranted I'll loft a wheelie as far as I possibly can. Usually that depends on how long the road is straight.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I might do one or two a month .they are'nt that Important to me.not what I'm focusing on.becoming a better rider...thats my focus.and when someone asks me to wheelie I won,t do it. I'll wheelie when I want to not when some stranger tells me to.

·
Registered
492 Posts
No wheelies for me. My bike was too expensive to trash. Even if you don't crash, you are still giving hell to the front forks and chain. However, I am looking for an older, cheap bike that I can be a hooligan on without worring about trashing 9 grand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like to power wheelie every once in a while, but the difficulty in balancing a 500lb machine is too risky for me. I ususally keep the wheelie degree angle at less than 60deg. Dirtbikes is another deal altogether and I've flipped many, except my CR250 interestingly enough, but they never seem to have more than 100 dollars damage...ever. Not so on the street.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm not much @ pulling wheelies either. I'm not that good @ it & if I were to drop her it would make me sick:crying:
I also don't want anymore trips through the ER/OR. I do like seeing a talented rider pull off a long wheelie though. That & stoppies look pretty cool. More power to them that have the b*lls to do it as long as they play it safe for others. If they put themselves in the hospital it's a sad day but gets worse if someone else gets hurt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll do it now and then when traffic and pretty women permits ;)

Still can't seem to click 'er up to second so only short ones for me 'til I run out of gear. But I'll only do it when I feel that it's safe to do so (clear road and traffic conditions...and oh yeah no cops). Don't do wheelies near the end of the month.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It takes me a great deal of self control NOT to wheelie. The Bandit will do clutchless wheelies from 2000 rpm in first gear and bigass power wheelies if I power shift from first to second. When I go to work I deliberately short shift to second right off the line so I don't cross every intersection on one wheel. When I had my KLR 650 I was terrible. I wheelied the damn thing everywhere I went. I don't do it much when I go on rides with my friends (only when they aren't looking) they would never let me live it down if I crashed riding like an idiot. But I will wheelie if I have the room and it's safe to do so.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I must admit that living in northern Minnesota I end up doing way more wheelies than I probably should. There just aren't any curves to make the ride interesting so every 90 degree corner gets left in a wheelie for the next half mile or more. On my 110 mile commute to work that only means that I get 6 wheelies.
It really isn't all that hard on a bike, with 94,000 miles on a '99 R1 I finally replaced the forks seals this spring one was original and the other had been replaced once. Well, I suppose it is a bit hard on the transmission, I did have it replaced at around 50,000 miles, but it was under warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wheelie when traffic permits, but not EVERY time it permits. I like to wheelie when there are no other cars around or if they are a good distance behind or in front of me. I like to bring it up in first and ride it till I get close to the redline, then bring her down as gently as I can. (This is all on my F4, RC51 is still being broken in)
:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I started out on a YZF 600, so needless to say, wheelies were just plain frustrating. But now that I have an F3 I've discovered a whole new world...wheelies are fun.....and I actually like to be able to pull it up when someone on the side of the road or in the car next to me yells..."WHEELIE" :D It's fun. I'm sure I'll be wheeling even more (and not intentionally) pretty soon, though...buying an RC51.:) Can't wait!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts