Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out: A new concept in engine design:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=50677&documentID=96070

I look foward to seeing this kinda engine in a bike!

An engine mechanics out there? I would have thought that a higher compression ratio would lead to more power, not lesser emissions. You'd also have to meter in more fuel to stop detonation too right?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Interesting.

I doubt if it will make it to production though. Something that radical takes decades to implement for any of the big three. Not that they can't. But the investment in R&D would be tremendous. It would have to make it in cars first where the profit margins are, before it makes it to bikes.

I'd say the closest we'll ever get to that is the variable valve timing along with dual stage intake system.

The big three can barely get fuel injection right!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're right Rogue that we won't see it on bikes for a while - I mean bikes are already plenty powerful and pretty fuel efficient compared to cars.
I'm not sure you're right in saying that the R&D investment would be huge - they say in the article that it would very easy to adapt and engine design to use this technology. Perhaps they're idea of easy, and my idea of easy are somewhat different. :D:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts