Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest Cycle News has the 600 comparison. Bikes included the Ducati 748, Triumph TT600 and all of the real 600s. :eek:

Ducati = 88.3hp
Honda F4i = 95.5hp
Kawi ZX6R = 92.3hp
Suzuki GSXR = 100.2
Triumph TT600 = 91.4
Yami R6 = 97.1

Overall rating from Cycle News:

Suzuki = 4.8
Honda = 4.7
Yamaha = 4.2
Kawasaki = 3.7
Triumph = 2.2
Ducati = 1.8

A nice quote from Peter Jones about the bikes.

"I'm nearly paralyzed by the equally attractive yet subtly different temptations of each of these bikes. The problem is, the's no right answer. And there's no wrong answer..." yada, yada

·
Registered
653 Posts
I also don't see how that Honda was so low, as other reports from around have shown it to be around 98-99 rwhp. Anyhow, I might add that is how I predicted them to fall! At least what I predicted at the Motorcycle Online shootout thread :D

My pick from all I have read would be, however:

Honda
Suzuki
Yamaha
Ducati
Kawasaki
Triumph

Honda has the best looks now for MY personal taste, with a remap and pipe it will be over 100hp undoubtedly, and after having and F3, now a GSX-R 750, I realize I WANT that comfort of a Honda. Sure I'm young, but even being young, Suzi's aren't very comfortable, even on short rides, on the street (at least for someone who is 6')

[Edited by Rob Nance on 01-28-2001 at 04:47 PM]

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Just for the record, I am sick of the 600cc comparos. Seems like that is all they write about. Why not do a write up on a compairison on speed of stripping all the bikes to the frame with a flat head screw driver and a cresent wrench? Just tired of the same articles that end up saying "This years crop of 600cc sportbikes are the best yet. Each bike seems to have it's own niche in the market, but you just can't go wrong with any of the bikes!"
Just buy the color scheme you like and you probibly won't outride your bike.
I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think the numbers will change some with different dynos, and different testers, Plus none of the dynos take into advantage the RAM air systems. But the Suz will still have the high hand.
None of the mags put much emphasis on the street riding most of us do. Its mostly track time. I mean I do alot more commuting on my bike than corner carving.
The reason you see so many 600 articles is because they are the biggest sellers. They have the biggest market share for sportbikes!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Different dynos will give different numbers. That is why this was a good comparison for hp. Same dyno and same/similar conditions. Very seldom to the bikes get dynoed on same dyno and same day. Actually I am assuming that is what was done. I did not read all of the BS print on each bike. I read the opinions of the writers/riders. None of the dynos do a very good job of simulating ram air effects. They put blowers in front of the ducts but it provides steady flow. So, we will have to assume that all of the manufacturers have close to the same ability of applying ram air performance. That can be a gross assumption but it's all we have for now. I agree that the Suzuki is still going to come out on top in this group of bikes, in the hp wars.

I like 600 comparisons now that I know FunkyJon doesn't like them. :D:p

·
Registered
328 Posts
THE BEST 600 IS...

I shouldn't even bother responding to this, because it really doesn't matter, but here goes:

This is the absolute BEST 600 on the market...

"The one you like the best" Ta-dah!

There. I said it! If you're a Honda guy, the F4i is the most kick-ass 600 going. Nobody's going to tell you any different. If you're a Suzuki guy, there's nothing better than the GSXR. If you like Ducatis...

And on and on and on. I mean, really. Who cares how they "compare" any more? No rider is better than any of today's bikes, so just figure out which one you like the best, or get the best deal on. Personally, I'd never buy the Suzuki. But that's only because all the Suzuki dealers around here are scum bags. On the other hand, I've got good Yamaha, Honda, and Ducati connections. So that's pretty much where I shop.

But it's not like people gather at the local riding spot or race track, and then spend the day comparing dyno charts and magazine reviews, right?

Just buy a bike and go ride it. That's all there is to it. They're all good.

(Except those gay RC51's.) :D :D :D

[Edited by AZ Scott on 02-04-2001 at 12:13 AM]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: THE BEST 600 IS...

AZ Scott said:

But it's not like people gather at the local riding spot or race track, and then spend the day comparing dyno charts and magazine reviews, right?

(Except those gay RC51's.) :D :D :D

[Edited by AZ Scott on 02-04-2001 at 12:13 AM]
I was confused about the gathering around with the dyno charts until you put that last line in. I was thinking... of course we pose with our dyno charts. I have my latest chart stenciled on the fuel tank for convenience. Is it just us RC-51 guys? :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hey John........
Do you have the figures available for specs such as :weight,torque,top-speed,quarter mile and cost,(etc)??
Thanks for posting the HP info...real interesting to see!!
:)

Jim

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
katana600 said:
Hey John........
Do you have the figures available for specs such as :weight,torque,top-speed,quarter mile and cost,(etc)??
Thanks for posting the HP info...real interesting to see!!
:)

Jim
Yes. :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Geez thanx John..........you're always a veritable fountain of knowledge:D:D:D
(Too bad your fountain is clogged up right now with who-knows-what!!:p;))

JIM

·
Registered
130 Posts
Latest issue of Roadracing World: Honda and Yamaha, 98hp, Suzuki 101 hp. Not to shabby for 600ccs.

[Edited by strada on 02-09-2001 at 10:12 AM]

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree that they are all similar in the fact that not too many people can outride their bikes. And of course we all know that the manufacturers gave their best bikes; meaning stock parts, but they hand picked the best parts(all within their given tolerances) out of the lot. No matter what a mag reads, the bike you purchase will be 5Hp under. To tell the truth, if I had $7500 right now, among yamaha, suzuki, kawi, honda,I dont know which I would pick?

Sorry Ive been gone from this site for over 5 months, but school and work have been kicking my ass.

Trevor

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't know about that, Trevor. When the 929 first came out, a few mags dynoed them in the mid 120s. Mine, and all of my friend's, dynoed well over 130 rwhp (mine was almost 2 rwhp less than one '00 R1, and under 1 rwhp less than a second '00 R1 on the same dyno on the same day). If you are right, somebody at Honda screwed up bad when they gave some mags their test bikes. Interestingly, later in the season, when the mags were doing their comparo tests, almost every 929 dynoed over 130 rwhp, and all within 1 or 2 rwhp of the R1 in the same comparo test.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
katana600 said:
Geez thanx John..........you're always a veritable fountain of knowledge:D:D:D
(Too bad your fountain is clogged up right now with who-knows-what!!:p;))

JIM
Oops, Jim I totally forgot about this thread. I'll dig the magazine back up. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts