Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Dammit. I was just watching something about this on Speedvision the other night. Too bad my short term memory is going away, but as I remember Indian made V-4s back in the 1920s. There may have been earlier ones too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't know what bike you have in mind, but I'm fairly certain it's not going to be a Honda. Here's one from 1933...

According to Motorcycle Online:

Dollar V4, 748 cc, 22 hp @ 4000 rpm, France, 1933. Chassis constructed entirely of triangulated straight members, at the time unusual for motorcycles but common in aircraft design because of its light weight and rigidity. Devastated by World War I and the global depression of the 1930's, France promoted agricultural efforts and did not encourage the production of high-performance motorcycles. The Dollar was discontinued in 1939.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
The "first" one? Well thats arguable... but I believe one of the first (if not the first) would have to be the 495cc AJS Supercharged V-four of 1938, 1939. Any more trivia?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Dollar was indeed an in-line..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................DOH?:twofinger I win, you loose:p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Further research has indeed corrected me; it was actually 1935 when the first prototype was shown, and further developed versions continued untill 1939.:p

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Hi guys,
Actually the AJS wasn't a 'production' bike. Only the racing bikes were made and it wasn't for sale. It was very fast but with really poor handling.
I think cbr600f4gd wants the VF750S. (I think it was called SABRE in US)

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
You re right Keith.
As cbr600f4gd mentioned already the VF750 S was launched in 1982 and it was called SABRE in US.
The Magna was the custom version hence the model name VF750C.

Aris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts