Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bummer of an accident for CA's governor.
From the venerable NYTimes:
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger received 15 stitches in his lip Sunday after he and his 12-year-old son were involved in a motorcycle accident near their home, his spokeswoman said.

Schwarzenegger was riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle with his son Patrick in the sidecar when another driver backed into the street, spokeswoman Margita Thompson said in a statement.

''The governor was unable to avoid the vehicle in his path and collided with it at a low speed,'' she said.

Schwarzenegger and his son were treated for cuts and bruises at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica and released, Thompson said. Both were wearing helmets at the time, she said. They were recovering at home Sunday night.

The other driver was not injured. No citations were issued in the accident in the city's Brentwood section, said Officer Jason Lee, a police spokesman.

The governor was expected to keep his appointments Monday.

In December 2001, Schwarzenegger broke six ribs and was hospitalized for four days after a motorcycle crash in Los Angeles.

The accident occurred when a car stopped in front of him and he was unable to change lanes to avoid the vehicle. His ribs were broken when his chest hit the motorcycle windshield.

''It was very painful, much more painful than the heart surgery,'' he said at the time, referring to an operation he had in 1997 to replace a heart valve. ''A rib breaking is like the worst.''

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
kanwisch said:
''The governor was unable to avoid the vehicle in his path and collided with it at a low speed,''
Wow, nothing like a detailed account of the accident, huh?

Press secretary: "The governor crashed his motorcycle."

Reporter: "How did he crash?"

Press Secretary: "By failing to avoid the other cars on the road."

·
Registered
746 Posts
"Sarah Connor?"

"Yes?"

BANG!!

Maybe the part in T-2 where the elevator doors open was flashing through his/her mind?

I bet that was an uncomfortable conversation to say the least.

-M-

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Or for others, not accustom to his accent, to UNDERSTAND.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Fifteen stitches to the mouth? Ouch! I'm sure Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has access to the best plastic surgeons in the country for that kind of work. Yet another reason why I love my wonderful full-face Arai helmets.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
427 Posts
Recalling his days as one Hollywood's most popular action heroes, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Monday a weekend accident won't stop him from riding motorcycles.
He gets my props :thumb: The guy is one of us, even if he rides a Harley, and is too cool to wear a full-face helmet. Perhaps for the next few days the LA cage drivers will be more respectful of motorcycles? Nothing like a high-profile figure bringing attention to the problem of drivers ignoring bikes on the road.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I didn't even know he rode. He gets bonus points, even if it is a shit Harley.

Anyone who doesn't know how this guy operates should watch that documentary thing he was in called Pumping Iron. He's the real deal.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
veektor said:
Nothing like a high-profile figure bringing attention to the problem of drivers ignoring bikes on the road.
<fecitious>Oh, you mean like in the case of Janklow?</fecitious>

·
Registered
310 Posts
Blue Jays said:
Hi All-

Fifteen stitches to the mouth? Ouch! I'm sure Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has access to the best plastic surgeons in the country for that kind of work. Yet another reason why I love my wonderful full-face Arai helmets.

~ Blue Jays ~
They showed a picture of him on his sidear. He had an open faced helmet and it looks like he must of have hit his lip on top of the windscreen. What if his throat hit instead? Makes me all the more suspicious of 800 lb baggers.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Turns out Arnold "Squidly" Schwarzenegger was riding without a motorcycle license.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He rides so he's okay.

Unas_the_Slayer said:
Turns out Arnold "Squidly" Schwarzenegger was riding without a motorcycle license.
For some reason, I don't believe that! Why would you make up a lie like that anyway??

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: He rides so he's okay.

BigNinja said:
For some reason, I don't believe that! Why would you make up a lie like that anyway??
They just had Ah-nold on TV. He said he had a motorcycle license when he was in the Austrian Army but it never occurred to him to get one in CA. They said he can't ride a motorcycle on public streets (sidecar OK) until he gets his M/C license. Can you imagine any cop pulling him over just to check? I assume the above quote should have had a ;)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: He rides so he's okay.

BigNinja said:
Because I'm the guy who killed Santa and the Easter Bunny..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
You monster!! The responsibility of santa to bring me all those presents was transfered over to my parents... How could you?? They had to work hard enough as it was! And as far as the easter bunny... well, I had a rabbit for dinner two thanks-givings ago. Mmmmm :drool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Re: He rides so he's okay.

Unas_the_Slayer said:
A motorcycling State Gov. without an M1 endorsement on his license; I just couldn't believe it! Just goes to show you how politicians feel they're above the law.

So when do we get a high profile, sportbike-riding elected official that gets busted for "accidentally" doing 170mph on the freeway or someplace??

It's time for the USA (especially California) to have a nice autobahn!! Are the germans better, smarter, more skilled, more deserving or more handsome than we Americans??? :twofinger HELL NO!!

With cars and bikes as fast as they are now-a-days, with excellent suspensions and tires to match, isn't about [email protected]' time we got an autobahn too???? Wasamatta Bushy, Germans better than Americans?? Well how 'bout it??

All in favor, clicky; and then write your elected officials (which you can do online BTW)!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: Re: Re: He rides so he's okay.

BigNinja said:

So when do we get a high profile, sportbike-riding elected official that gets busted for "accidentally" doing 170mph on the freeway or someplace??
I don't think you'd ever catch a politician doing that, they'll probably too much of a pussy.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
slick1537 said:
Just pitch the idea of an autobahn to the american public like its a race to the moon and everyone will go ape shit for it.
:laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts