Sportbike World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I think that it's unfortunate that IB-PMPN's original post was edited to have the term "faggot" taken out of it. The original showed what type of person this guy really is, especially since it was only his 4th post...couldn't keep your poor attitude and idiocy hidden for too long could you.
I also find it very funny that everyone including him missed the point of my post and ended up making me look like the jackass, when in fact it is the lack of education and tact that makes this guy the jackass.
Call it a Canadian thing if you like, but if looking out for minority groups and not wanting to discriminate against people by using terms like "faggot", "spick", queer, or "******" is part of that, then I'm proud to be the smarter and kinder little brother to my big American brother.
What IB-PMPN and many of you other guys need to realize is that it makes no difference what context you use these words in that hurts people. It's the word itself. I try to not use any of them because I never know who I could be offending or influencing.
My wife and I are the "Don's" of an all male residence at a top university in Canada and we pride ourselves on being positive influences on these guys ranging in age from 17 to 24. Being a rather mature 25 yr old guy myself I take pride in the fact that no one could ever say I influenced these young people to believe that using these words is okay. In fact I'm not afraid to speak up in the same manner I have here and say what I believe, even if it will only make people think for one second about how stupid they make themselves look by saying these things.
I'm trying to make this place safe for everyone. What is IB-PMPN doing besides spreading and reinforcing a safe place for homophobes. I realize that he was only trying to say he dislikes drag-racers, but there are alot of better ways of saying that, and if he and many others had paid better attention, I outlined some equally emphatic examples in my last post that would have offended only to those affected by swearing(which does not pinpoint any single group or minority).
Is this what you guys call a holier than though attitude? Would you rather hang with a guy like IB-PMPN and worry which one of your friends he would offend next without knowing or caring? I associate with people like him as little as possible because it reflects poorly on me and my judgement. If this goes on and I find that this site has many more people like him, I'll just stop coming by. I don't expect anyone to be upset by that, it's just who I am. And I'd know that I did the right thing.
By the way, for those who don't know me, I'm not the social activist/fanatic type this post makes me sound like. I'm just a guy who likes to hang with good people and ride as hard as I can:D:):D Since I became a member of this site, I've not come across this type of poor attitude, I hope people like this guy don't keep turning up.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So Redneck is OK, but Faggot isn't? Hmmmm. That top university you speak of must be for conformist, and not free thinkers. Not my kind of place. If you really had a problem with his use of the word Faggot; I'm sure a PM would have been a better way to address it. I believe this board is comprised of a great group of people. Thank god we don't all think alike; or you might as well talk to yourself.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Mach, I do/don't understand why this is gottin you all worked up. It's obvious you didn't like his choice of words (and I'm sure your not the only one). But didn't he explain what he meant when he used that word in the very next sentence. I know you feel it doesn't matter how it's used it still hurts people. That's your opinion.

And no one is trying to make you look like a jackass, everyone is just posting and playing around like always. So far your the only person to be taking this to the heart.

Also if your so against the name calling why are you call him a redneck with no social skills(some people might take offence to that).

I'm not going to close this thread, I want to get some other opinions on this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dan F4 said:
Mach, I do/don't understand why this is gottin you all worked up. It's obvious you didn't like his choice of words (and I'm sure your not the only one). But didn't he explain what he meant when he used that word in the very next sentence. I know you feel it doesn't matter how it's used it still hurts people. That's your opinion.

And no one is trying to make you look like a jackass, everyone is just posting and playing around like always. So far your the only person to be taking this to the heart.

Also if your so against the name calling why are you call him a redneck with no social skills(some people might take offence to that).

I'm not going to close this thread, I want to get some other opinions on this.
Well said Dan, I agree with u 100%.

If u got offended all u had to do was Pm or E-mail him, this thread was/is a waste of thread i think.

But i do wanna know what evryone else thinks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no question that sometimes I've been known to "get my panties in a bunch" over little things;). However I still think that we should all be fully aware that sometimes what we say and how we say them can seriously offend others around us, whether in a motorcycle forum or in the boardroom. Personally I don't really see how calling someone a redneck is the same thing as using the term faggot. Who are rednecks? I'm pretty sure they are not a specific group of people who have been chastized by society and are just now breaking into mainstream acceptability. However, if there are some rednecks out there that have no social skills that I've offended, I'm very very sorry:rolleyes::eek::confused::D;). Anyways boys, I'm off the soapbox for now. I think I've made my point.
Cheers.
BTW, I might just be really annoyed at the fact that it's been snowing here since last night(almost a foot and a half now). If I had of known this winter was going to be so fricken long and with so much snow I might have tried to get a sled!!! This is the fourth dumping of snow that we've had since the first of March that is more than a foot. The worst of it is that I had my bike out on the 7th and the 11th, but since then the weather hasn't been nice enough:(.
I'm moving to SoCal...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yikes

I think it's both funny and sad that these words/phrases are being used with apparently no idea as to what they mean. "Faggot" is a derogatory word to demean gays. There is no other use of the word. Would he have used the "N" word in place of faggots and still tried to say it wasn't meant to be negative?

Rednecks are a certain group, and that is a demeaning word too. Comes from having sunburned back of the neck. Country, farmer, hillbilly etc.

Maybe this slang has become so commonplace that people don't know what they mean.

·
Registered
68 Posts
nevermind

I thought I wanted to comment on this thread but as I sat here deciding which way to approach it I realized there wasn't a "Correct" way to express my thoughts.

I guess it's kinda a personal thing, because although I also try not to use those "hurtful" words, I sometimes wonder at what point does not offending or discriminating against a group impose on my rights or beliefs.

Now that I haven't made a comment in this thread I feel a little better.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: Yikes

Hammer said:
Country, farmer, hillbilly etc.
HE SAID HILLBILLY! I'm offended...:rolleyes:

Will someone please close this thread before we start to discuss every single ethnic group in existence and why using using the derogatory terms meant for said group(s) is or is not acceptable. This thread is completely ga...I mean useless.:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
What!? There are fa..er.. I mean gays on motorcycles? Oh, the horror.....j/k;)
Here's my thoughts on the matter. I haven't read the post referred to, but I do not condone the homosexual lifestyle at all. It is sin. I know that it is widespread, and I don't like it, but I don't believe in making their lives harder just because they are gay. I don't harrass anybody, or threaten anybody for their "lifestyle".
Every person should, and does have equal rights here in the USA. I do believe in that. I do NOT believe in any kind of "special rights" for anyone, or any certian "group" or lifestyle. Yeah, the general public may not have open arms to certain acts, but that does not mean that we should have pitty on anybody and make special provisions to satisfy their pathetic demands.
On a side note: why is there no White History Month?
Answer: because we haven't cried loud enough. And there shouldn't be one anyway.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The Final Word

Well I have sat back and watched this whole discussion (both this thread and the other) and I've refrained from commenting. While I personally find any comment that is derogatory to blacks, latinos, hispanics, chinese, gays, lesbians or any other ethnic or non-white hetero group offensive, I wouldn't consider forcing my beliefs on anyone. Nor will I or other moderators condone or support that type of behaviour here. If you want to call someone any of the names previously mentioned, be forewarned that you will get the wrath of various members here, including myself. I'm not PC by any means and I don't expect anyone else on this board to be that way. But we have grown tremendously over the last year and you have to take the good with the bad. The moderators and administration will not tolerate personal attacks against other members on the forums. If you feel like you need to attack someone, don't do it here. Send them a PM or email.
As has been the case in the past, members who continue to instigate, berate or belittle other members publicly will not betolerated. Quite simply: If we here complaints from other users, or we find your behaviour inappropriate, you'll get one warning. After that, see ya later. You'll be asked to leave and not return. If you won't leave, you'll be forced to leave. I'm open to questions and suggestions, but this forum was not created to segregate or condone this type of behaviour.

And thats my Final Word.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, Machman, my question to you is, why are you losing sleep over this? Somebody uses a word you don't particularly like and you're all over him. If you get upset over one TRIVIAL thing then you've got some other issues dude! And it really is trivial. Who freakin' cares??? It's not a Canadian thing, it's just YOU. You've got a bug up your ass and it ain't IBM-PM. I'm sorry but if people can't express SOME of their feelings for the sake of being politically correct, what's the point of posting interesting threads? Where is the fun of posting if you have to be politically correct the way you want it? It's all about fun & enjoyment. YOU mister, are the one who's missing the whole point. You're right. It must be those long-ass winters up North.

Many people get offended by certain words besides "faggot". Some people get offended with "redneck" too. Or maybe even somebody's religion. Or their culture. Looks or smells. Etc., etc. Guess what? Most don't really give a crap. Just because you don't like that one word you want us all to refrain from using it in our vocabulary? Who are you to dictate these terms to us? Quite frankly, I'm getting really sick of this "I'm offended, therefore you should stop" BS. If this goes on, we'll all be posting threads that sound like Legal Contracts!

If you're offended by a thread, say what you have to say and move on. Don't make it a mission to continue to harrass the person that said ONE word to offend you! Geez! I thought women were the only ones who got offended easily! :mad:

PS: Pls. don't move to SoCal. We have enough people with your attitude here and we don't need more.

·
Registered
873 Posts
REPUBLICAN

Thats what i am, i am a social group in this country.

And you know what. There have been MANY MANY MANY posts completely SLAMMING my social group on SBW since i became a member. It pissed me off. It agitated me. It offended me. I felt i (and my whole culture) was being directly attacked and put down.

My beliefs were being attacked. My Values were being attacked. I was being pigeon-holed into a box by persons who felt very comfortable in assuming things about me only because i was a member of a cultural group that is completely against their way of thinking.

You know what.... Its great to be ADULT enough to sit back, listen to others views, share mine and MOVE ON!!

Dude, you got some serious issues. And if you get so offended by free speech than you DONT belong in America. Stay in Canada. (Im half Canadian so dont give some line how im this or that)

Ive posted MANY things that really have agitated people. Many people have posted things that agitated me. I would say this...

you are a HETEROPHOBE.

And thats just as bad as a homophobe.

I dont condone homosexuality. I think its wrong. And i cannot understand how anyone can be comfortable with themselves in living the life. But in the end i am not God and i cannot judge anyone.

They can live their lives anyway they want as long as it doesnt interfere with or impede my way of life. They can call me a redneck and i can call them whatever i want.

I consider the term "a$$hole" to be just as bad. Label me as that if you will..... Ill deal with it.

Society should generally accept ALL people, but society should not bend over backwards (pun) for a social group who demands things that make MOST of that society uncomfortable.

Political Correctness is one of the most annoying phenomenon to develop in the 20th Century. What started out as a good-hearted gesture by society has snowballed into a Scarlet Letter Dictate of ridiculous proportions. There will ALWAYS be social groups, minorities, majoritys, strife, angst, war, winners, losers, right and wrong. Yes wrong. In you pushing your beliefs on me, that i need to accept others who believe in things i dislike, are you not just as bad as "me"? Or worse even? Do i log onto Gay Message Boards and spout off to them about how wrong they are and how they are offending me? No. I know this is an EXTREME example, but there is a point to it.

We got your point all to clearly after your first post. If you were offended you had every opportunity to notify the Moderators, send some PRIVATE emails, etc etc. But you chose to make an ISSUE out of this and if thats what you want thats what you get.

Look at all the HEAT youve brought upon yourself for trying to make issues with people who are more interested in SPORTBIKES than sexual orientation.

WRONG VENUE.

Blah Blah, i could go on and on with this but whats the point.

This isnt DrLaura.com this is SPORTBIKEWORLD
And you, my friend have pushed your own social beliefs on many people who frankly are more interested in other things.

Was the "faggot" comment inappropriate? I must say it probably was. But to a complete touch-hole like you it might as well have been a burning crucifix and that is a very inappropriate way to react.

The use of the terms "Gay" or "Faggot", when used directly as an attack on an individual who IS "Gay" or a "Faggot" etc, is completely different than simply throwing the term around without a pointed, DIRECT reference to a real person or orientation.

the term "Homey" (homeboy) must therefore insinuate that i am "black", or a gansta, or whatever, since everyone KNOWS that only dark skinned ganstas use that term. How stupid is THAT?????? get the point?

No I dont make policy for SBW, Will has very clearly let us all know what that is and i agree 100% with him.

However, remember the song "Money For Nothing" ??
"The little foggot got his own jet-airplane, the little foggot he's a millionaire"

Do you honestly believe Mark Knopfler was attacking the Gay community? the answer is NO WAY. It was simply a use of the term to make a point. His lyrics attack someone who isnt neccesarily gay at all. Its a cliche. (and actually he got those lyrics while over-hearing the comments of a NYC appliance salesman who was watching MTV... the salesman actually is being quoted in the lyrics..) But to you, i bet you thought Dire Straits was an anti-gay band. In actuality they also have another song that talks about how happy some people are who are proud to be gay. Not something i agree with at all, but i wont go and label Dire Straits as Pro-Gay or Pro-Straight. It is called freedom of speech. Take it or leave it it works both ways. (kinda like RCJohn)

Shall i continue?

ok...

SHALOM!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: The Final Word

RedNinja said:
While I personally find any comment that is derogatory to blacks, latinos, hispanics, chinese, gays, lesbians or any other ethnic or non-white hetero group offensive...
So what about derogatory remarks directed towards white people? I mean, we have feelings too, yet they're always overlooked 'cause we're the "offenders". This forum is so full of intolerantly tolerant people. It makes no sense. This thread should have been closed, but since it's not, answer me this: why is it that people tout tolerance as the way to go, yet when it comes to their dislikes, they are completely intolerant? A bit hypocritical, don't ya' think?

BTW: Tech32, Will (mostly), Rogue, and Green...you're all right on :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
with all this energy, you guys should have a novel in the "to be continued" thread.... and someone, please, kill me off in there fast!!

BTW, I have many gay, lesbian,black, asian, etc. friends and I STILL use the word fag somtimes. Its just a good adjective when you get mad, I could care less about sexual orientation.... Unless its a HOT chick and shes Lez, then Im pissed cuz I know I cant get none!! :D :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: Re: The Final Word

CBR Brutha said:

So what about derogatory remarks directed towards white people? I mean, we have feelings too, yet they're always overlooked 'cause we're the "offenders". [snip]

You mean like "White-Trash", "Trailer-Trash", "Honkey"???

It don't count. Payback for all those years of slavery! :D

Okay now. See that BIG smiley face? It's just a joke and is not meant to offend. Don't anybody start a new thread flaming me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You folks all need to calm down a bit.

Someone say something you disagree with? Wah! Get over it or die pissed. Let it go, give it god, whatever.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Must be a snow thing...

Heya Machman....

Although I didn't see the original post, I believe you've made some valid points... As have everyone here... To some degree...

For everyone, simply think about the effect your words might have on other people, regardless of PC junk... Face the music and back up your beliefs when questioned...

Understand this though... Perpetuation of sterotypes, no matter how "trivial" you might view them to be are not trivial to those that have to out live those words... You might say you "don't care" but when your that person, every little "trivial" comment adds up and becomes a burden to over come everyday....

But what do I know...

After all....

"I thought women were the only ones who got offended easily"

Kirsty....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: Re: The Final Word

CBR Brutha said:

So what about derogatory remarks directed towards white people? I mean, we have feelings too, yet they're always overlooked 'cause we're the "offenders". This forum is so full of intolerantly tolerant people. It makes no sense. This thread should have been closed, but since it's not, answer me this: why is it that people tout tolerance as the way to go, yet when it comes to their dislikes, they are completely intolerant? A bit hypocritical, don't ya' think?

BTW: Tech32, Will (mostly), Rogue, and Green...you're all right on :)

Yeah, we white, heterosexual males have it hard too. Just look at all the pansies we have to support via our tax dollars.....:D Just a joke people.:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.