Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been talked about before ( I couldn't find much)
but I had to ask you guys:)
Right now, I'm on a GS500, and even though I have only had it a month or so, after taking a long highway drive up (75mph) and riding with a passanger, I'm not a big fan of the 500cc 2cyl right now:)
so here is the deal,
if I was to trade my bike in,I did the math out and figured (with Suzuki's promotion right now) that I can get the sv650 for about $10-15 more a month..after seeing that I got all excited;)
So I think getting the GF to approve the new bike won't be to tough:)

neways, I was looking around at other bikes and I came up on the zr-7....very nice bike...and its just a bit more than the sv-650 (price wise). It is also a 4cyl bike, which from what I hear should be much smoother on the highway.
I'm looking for a nice cruiser/sport bike. I do a lot of highway driving, but I don't want something to bulky. I see that the zr-7 is 100lbs heavier than the sv650, so is that going to slow me down to much?
I'd like your opinions on both bikes.
Thanks guys
Keith

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Hi Keith,

The ZR7 is a good allround bike, as you said it's heavier than the SV, with the same power, but less fun factor.
I really enjoy my ZR and I'm more than happy with it. I chose it because it's a simple and reliable engine, and it fits me really well. I tried the SV for size but it's too cramped (I'm 190 m).
To find out more about the ZR7, you could go to www.zr-7.com and http://www.zr-7forums.com/ to see what people who ride it think.
I hope this info is useful to you.

Aris

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I would go with the ZR if you are gonna do more cruising, commuting, two up.

The sv if you're gonna do more twistie carving and solo riding.

From what you say I think the zr is more your style right now. Nice bike too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did you miss the Bandit 600. It sounds like the Bandit is a good fit and you would be staying with Suzuki if that means anything to you. I like the look of the sv personally and the V twin is just icing on the cake. I think the Bandit has a little stouter suspension for 2 up riding also. Either way the bikes you are looking at are both good:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
damn!! why did u go and do that:)
eheheh now i have 3 bikes that I'm looking at:)
the bandit is really nice. Grr.
now, the bandit is a 600cc bike, so do you think I'd lose a decent amount of performance choosing something like this?
decisions decisions:)
Keith

edit:
ok the bandit is like 120lbs more than the sv650 though, and a smaller engine..I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of that or not. I guess I just have to test drive them to get a feel....the bandit is realllly pretty though:) I love the way it looks.
Keith

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
As much as I love my SVs, I'm going to go ahead and second what apexismaximus and Aris said. If you do any significant amount of two-up riding, you're not going to be happy with the SV. Mine isn't the greatest on gas mileage either, so touring is a bit more difficult.

As an aside, the Bandit may have a smaller engine by 50cc's than the SV, but it's an inline-4 as opposed to the SV's V-twin, so you're not losing any power.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yea yea what elo said. No really the I4 will lack a little down low but make up for it at highway speeds. Not to mention seating position...the Bandit like the 7s is a little more upright and roomier. I also read rave reviews of the Bandit's wind protection...for a 1/4 faired bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the bandit would be similar in performance to the SV?
Even though its a smaller engine with more weight..120lbs is a good amount.
Also, what about the handeling?
I'm gonna go test drive them tomorrow to see what it feels like, but thanks for ur responses..keep them coming:)
If the SV owners are saying its not so great as a passanger bike...I think that leaves just the bandit and the zr-7.
Now the zr-7 is like 150 more than the bandit but it has a 740cc engine, compared to the 600cc. It also weighs the same..so it must be quicker. Only thing that sux about the Kawasaki is that its a 5 speed...I like my 6 speed;)
Keith

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a '01 Bandit 600s. Have had it about 6 months and 4,000 miles. So far I have been very happy with it. I do a lot of around town/freeway riding, along with trips on winding roads and some hairy, death-causing twisties.

The bike has pretty smooth acceleration, with the power range definitely above 6,000rpms. Great for highway and 2nd and 3rd gear roads. It is relatively heavy at 450+lbs. I think that heft, however, gives it some of its stability, especially in twisties and sweepers.

Riding stance is quite comfortable. I have done a few 5-8 hour days on it and, aside from a little saddle sore, have felt fine. No shoulder, neck, or back pain whatsoever.

The effectiveness of the fairing surprised me. When sitting straight up the wind hits you about chest height. Not bad at all. When crouched it's almost possible to get beneath the wind completely, which was a good thing when I touched 120mph a few weeks ago.

The only time I have been unhappy with it is when some supersport machine like an R1 or Gixxer goes flying by and I can't keep up, but that's just my mostly newbie ego getting in the way:rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It sounds like from what I have read the Bandit or the ZR-7 are the way to go. It sould be up to you and at this point it almost comes down to which one you like the most. Both are capable and sufficient for what it sounds like you want. So if you are able to test ride.... go for it. Let us know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stay away from the 600 Bandit. Trust me, you want the ZR-7. Both bikes are not really fast but the ZR-7 seems to have more power where it counts. I own one. It was my first bike and a damn good one too. I'm a speed freak so I upgraded to the ZRX1200R. The ZR-7 will feel like a Busa next to that GS500! Kawasaki has a good deal going on right now too. I just don't like that gay ass purple color on the new ZR. And also, try to buy a used one. They are much cheaper than the new. Resale value on naked bikes sucks. So you can get one with low miles pretty cheap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i should stay away from the suzuki because of the power issue?
Keith

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The zr7 is very likely to have a lot better power in the bottom end of the rev range and still be a little stronger than the bandit in the top end. The 7 has a 2 valve/cylinder engine and I think this tends to give a bike better bottom and mid range. It's extra capacity should make it stronger on the top end. It's 5 speed will mean more relaxed riding as you will shift less with each gear able to cover more speeds.

It's also lighter than the bandit although not by much, it still counts.

Price is equal.

Ride'em both if at all possible but I'd be surprised if the bandit is a better bike in any big ways. Find one of each used and let us know what you think. I'm curious.

Either bike is gonna be a nice step up from the gs however so if you can't decide just get whichever one comes with a better deal first.:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Keith, I have a '00 ZR-7 and really like it. I've had it just over a year, but only 2300 miles so far. The bike handles very well and it's fast enough for me. I have had it re jetted, put on a Yoshimura round race slip on and a K&N filter. There are a lot of mods available for this bike also. And I considered the SV, but went with the inline 4. Good luck in your decision. Tom

·
Registered
377 Posts
The ZR-7 is very competent 2-up. The only complaint some owners have is the slope of the seat has some pillions slamming into your back. This is not necessarily a bad thing :D A Corbin cures this apparently.

Good midrange....it pulls like a 14yo on heat... ok brakes, easy and fun to modify. Long wheelbase, so you can ride to the lip solo or 2-up and not unsettle it. Lots of cross referencing of parts with other models. Basically it is what it is..an old fashioned UJM. Nice tool if you live your life under 125mph.

:)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Hey Titomike!
My ZR7 showed 225 km/h (that's 140 mph) on a long straight and very slightly uphill last Sunday, and that's at 10000rpm (beginning of redline Keith) with standard gearing :)
It seemed eager to go beyond that, but I never take it in red line fo r more than a few secs, so I just stood up and let it go down to 9000 ;)
Of course I felt really bad when 2 R1s flew past me :(
The jetting really helps! Also the ss lines, the custom seat, the carbonne lorraine pads, the Devil titanium race can and the go fast stickers :D

Aris

PS How do you like my new avatar?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Crazeecooter said:
..Resale value on naked bikes sucks..
Actually, no. Just to be nit-picky, the SV650's (n or s) are holding their values extremely well. With low or even medium miles they are losing maybe $1000-$1200 off their sticker price, even after 2 years. I've been offered what I paid for mine, and over what I paid once, and it's an '01.

But that's not on topic at all! ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts