Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I was driving over to my girlfriend's house the other day, and I noticed a brand new Yamaha R1. Also in this guy's driveway was his Navigator on dubs.

I said, "Nice bike."
He said, "Thanks."
I said, "Is it fast? (of course I knew it was fast, I was just making small talk really)"
He said, "I don't know, I don't know how to ride it. I really just bought it to say I have one."

Now, what the Hell is the point of having a brand new R1 if you don't even know how to ride it??

I thought it was rather humorous...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well your right he is a squid. But he's a squid with a really nice bike! It's to bad he bought it as a status symbol, instead of for the love of riding. It seems a shame for a bike like that to go to waste.:barf:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Too Bad...

...that he took it out of the shipping crate if he's not going to use it. There was a Vincent Black Shadow that was auctioned off a few years ago, still in the crate and the price went thru the roof. Seems like the eventual owner cut a hole in the crate to create a "window" just to look at the beautiful engine in his living room or somewhere.:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
lookin' for the hook-up

If anyone else out there has a bike like this guy has and doesn't ride it, let me know. I can take it out on the weekends and rip into it, so that all of your buddies will think that you actually ride. I'll even drop it so that it really looks ridden. Let me know.:D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
How I would LOVE to take a power-plant out ---

---of a bunged up m/c with some reputation.
Then strip it down to nothing, polish it here, blacken it there & finally end up with a beautiful LOOKING powerplant, but not a spot of oil in it or smelling from it.
Then have header pipes coming out of it in what ever fashion they were, at the time, but shortened to just the 12 to 24" length.
This would be the IDEAL MANTEL PIECE & outdo a stuffed fish on wood, or stuffed wild animal or fowl.
Just think if you stumbled across a very popular power-plant of the mid-30s, or a Harley KR, Triumph Tiger 100, Douglas Plus 90, lst of the Honda fours, Indian 4 in- line ---- it could be anything & it would not need anything INSIDE --- just a shell, but in honesty shot pistons, crank & such though (with a LOT OF CLEARANCE) would still be best as one could rotate the power-plant.
I keep on thinking I might do this to my '87 Yamaha TZR-250 in the future.
Would you not mind forking out a grand or two for a mantel piece something like that? I know one can make money in doing the above & why no one has cashed in on it, is beyond me. You could have a ball in in a m/c junk yard.
I know of some chaps that have complete bikes of the 50s sitting in their living room & polished to the max.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Ya know, everytime I read a story about a squid, he's got an R1. What a coincedence. I'm a squid - ride an R1 and you can't help it. I'll also shred just about anyone I know in the twisties and I wear gear.

OK - I'm done venting, but it does get old.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
vent?

chris_y2k_r1 said:
Ya know, everytime I read a story about a squid, he's got an R1. What a coincedence. I'm a squid - ride an R1 and you can't help it. I'll also shred just about anyone I know in the twisties and I wear gear.

OK - I'm done venting, but it does get old.
WOW Chris! That was venting?!? Those anger-management classes must be going REALLY well! You vent like a nun!!!:twofinger :p :twofinger

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
Hi everyone.

I was driving over to my girlfriend's house the other day, and I noticed a brand new Yamaha R1. Also in this guy's driveway was his Navigator on dubs.

I said, "Nice bike."
He said, "Thanks."
I said, "Is it fast? (of course I knew it was fast, I was just making small talk really)"
He said, "I don't know, I don't know how to ride it. I really just bought it to say I have one."

Now, what the Hell is the point of having a brand new R1 if you don't even know how to ride it??

I thought it was rather humorous...
You might want to keep an eye on this guy and you might get a deal at the end of summer for a bike you know is in pristine condition :twofinger

·
Registered
463 Posts
He said, I don't know, I don't know how to ride it. I really just bought it to say I have one."

You really shouldn't discount the possibility that he was just blowing smoke up your a$$. :)

He coulda told you it was his grandmother's and he just keeps it shined for her.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts