Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight, we had this huge rain storm. The radar showed purple on the screen, 1st time I've seen that before. The temps drop from 80's to the 40's damn fast and my bike has a bit of a problem when the carbs are cold, not to mention some sort of electrical problem.

When I was about to leave work around 6pm and get ready to start the bike up, I turn the starter and the engine would turn but since the carbs were cold it wouldn't stay on for long. I tried to start it with the choke for about 5 mins, then my battery gets low. I try to clutch start it, same thing again, it starts, but won't stay on since its cold. I tried that for about 20 mins in the empty parking lot, atleast almost no one was there. I did look foolish.

So around 6:30 my boss' boss (the VP of Marketing), who I don't fraternize much since everytime I talk to him I fear that he'll just fire me for being young, walks out the building. He offers to help and I refused the first time telling him I'll give the ole cbr one more chance. I tried another 5 times. At this point, I was getting tired and the battery was just about dead. He drives up and offers help again. I accepted this time. He gave me a ride to my house, which was the opposite direction of his house.

We had a nice chat and it turns out he used to be a motorcycle rider a while back and remembered the old days about the finiky carbs and cold days of when they didn't start. But everytime I spoke I was like "Don't say anything stupid, you might get fired". He dropped me off at my house and I got some tools and went back to pick up the bike with my dad. Jumped the cbr and got her home.

In this story I also have a question, what would be a cause of my electrical problem? Whenever I start the bike up the battery would go dead if I hold the starter for more than 10 seconds and the bike won't start on its own. I've only had this of becoming a problem since december. I have a new battery in it since then as I was thinking it was that. I've also experimented with starting out with a low battery and running the bike around, the battery would become charged enough to start the bike out on its own. Every time I rev the engine, I can see that the bike makes more voltage from the intensity of the headlights becoming brighter after 3k revs. I also realize that the battery won't be charged by the bike until the engine hits 5k. Should I look into the alternator? I also heard the rectifier maybe a source of the problem, but I don't see how.

Sorry for long story and series of questions.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have the same problem with my bike on cold days. I tend to get it to turn over a little and then slowly roll on the throttle, and pray it doesn't stall. I don't know if yours is on long enough to try that one though. I have killed my batt on several ocasions trying to get it going on cold mornings. If you get any good solutions to the cold weather let me know, I hate looking like a fool trying to get my bike running. Especially when other people walk over to their fuel injected bastereds and have them turn right over:finger: :twofinger

Sepias

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi JBaz-

If you anticipate cold weather at work, is there any possible way you can park at the top of a decent hill? At least that way you could put the motorcycle in second gear coasting down the incline and hit the starter button to get the engine to fire...

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mid-afternoon thunderstorm was a complete suprise to me and the temp dropped so fast. I had my jacket and short pants. The thing is that I work at RTP where everything is office buildings or parking lots and everything is flat like an a-cup girl. I wouldn't have this problem if I didn't wreck my RR. Damnit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
or just let your clutch out. my first bike had a fucked starter so i had to push start that little gem every time. hadnt had to push start a bike in about 5 years and i still sometimes catch myself scoping the landscape looking for a nice hill to park at the top of...HA HA!:p :p

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sampleofme said:
or just let your clutch out. my first bike had a fucked starter so i had to push start that little gem every time. hadnt had to push start a bike in about 5 years and i still sometimes catch myself scoping the landscape looking for a nice hill to park at the top of...HA HA!:p :p
I tried that in 2nd gear after the batt got low. Engine would turn and rev to 3k for a split second then die.

SepiasSoul said:
What about the GSXR600?
Its still in the works. Haven't worked on the bike in about 3 weeks. Needs some more parts and I found out the rims I bought from some guy turned out to be the wrong set even after making sure with the guy that it was from an 05 gixxer. Damn fucking lying POS' and he still hasn't given me my damn rotors yet. Not to mention I lost 800 bucks due to taxes and another 800-1000 bucks in the past month due to traffic viloations and lawyer fee's. I'm god damn broke!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. If its any consolation, I'm broke too:twofinger

Sepias

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey sugar--

I just had the same problem and it turned out to be the rectifier. Simple fix if it is. :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
It sounds like your voltage regulator if your lights are going up and down. If the battery is still charging with the bike running then your stator should be fine. Bad regulators can put out to much of a charge and fry your battery along with other things. I'm 99% positive its the regulator. Check it out...

-M-

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Too much god damn construction going on at NCSU thats what. The damn main campus roads are horrible hazards. I was standing on the pegs going over a speed bump and when I got over the hump, the front end wobbled a bit after hitting a small pothole (actually a series of divets). Lost control laid the bike down going 5mph. Grrr.

Just plastic damage, nothing major. Gonna get my friend to repaint them gloss black again.

Funny thing was that a girl in front of me crossing the road about 200 ft ahead of me, runs like there was no tomorrow. I was laughing once I picked up my bike when I saw that. I mean I did slide about 5 ft, but no way in hell would I slide 200 ft and hit her. Then again, stranger things have happened before.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sure enough Blue Jays beat me to my first hint. Still I think you riders had best fork out a MINT of money like all of $30.00 for a real Battery Tender. These were made for small batteries like we have on our m/cs, ATVs, lawnmore, etc.

Also only have 1.25 amps when charging so it is not going to jolt the life out of your battery. It will come on with a RED idiot light reading "On Charge" & once it has brought the battery up to snuff it will switch over to the GREEN idiot light showing "On Storage". I have had my first one since sometime in early 80s though with three sportbikes when home I plug in on one of the BTs & believe me next morning the bike starts up like a charm.

Also since I use gel batteries meaning no liquid livel to check, no acid spilled, not corrosion on the two terminals. So that means when I winterize my bike the BTs are plugged in. Come spring all I have to do is check the tyre pressures, dust of any of the bikes, disconnect the BT & the bikes will start up like mid-Summer.

So naturally in cold weather or this so called strange Spring of cold weather then by bikes are always plugged in the BTs. ALSO when the hot weather is going full chat the heat is a strain on your battery AND if you are doing short runs which means constantly starting the batter then AGAIN make use of the BT.

Remember your starting of the bike is the greatest drain on the battery so a few times that day not to mention possibly several times you had to hit the starter button AND your battery is almost woren out. Still at home use the BT & that will have it back to par.

I have a new cage & thought the other day that I bought this thing on Feb 6th plus it being at the sales place. Which means I have been starting it up & using the lights to wipers to washers, to drainage from the small clock to drainage from the safety being on all the time. Sure enough my Voltmeter is in the hands of a friend so used one of the BTs & it showed it was charging, one hr later on it was still charging & two or three hrs later it was On Storage. So this is something I am going to do about once a month.

Believe me you will find the Battery Tender to be one of the best buys you have ever made in the m/c world for if you are having trouble in starting your bikes ------a battery up to full charge makes alll the difference in the world.

I have praised & spoken to written so much about the Battery Tender that I should be asking said firm to pay me for the above. Also I have found that all that purchased the BT THAT was the end of their lousy starting.

Lastly I will agree that you could have a major problem with the charging system of the bike itself, but 75% of the time it will be the battery is not up to snuff. Also the BT if properly used will give you a longer battery life. Like my '97 Yamaha 600r was not shot, but I noted it was not always up to snuff so replaced it in '05. I will be keeping an eye on my '00 Honda 929 this year for in '06 or probably '07 I might put in a new sealed batter JUST to be sure I am not cought some 3 or 4 hrs away from home with a shot battery.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
JBaz said:
atleast you live in Florida where the weather is always nice.
It's only nice until it rains or is so damn hot and humid riding is outta the question. We have already hit the low 90's this year, and sitting in traffic on a bike in that heat isn't fun at all. Sorry to hear about you dropping your bike. It always seems to happen right after you clean it or paint it dont it? I wrecked my proto 2 hours after I finished cleaning it (first time I cleaned it in almost 1 year) I dropped my 750 and shattered the left fairing right after I finished putting a good waxing on it. You just finished painting your F2 and it finds the pavement. Just like birds have a thing for clean cars, I think the road has a thing for clean bikes.

Sepias

·
Registered
295 Posts
ok i have a question sorta kinda related i guess.

is it normal for you headlight to be noticably dimmer when not driving? i know at night when i pull to a stop light or somthing as soon as i rev it it becomes noticably brighter is this normal or maybe alt going bad? or maybe i need new battery?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
JBaz said:
Too much god damn construction going on at NCSU thats what. The damn main campus roads are horrible hazards. I was standing on the pegs going over a speed bump and when I got over the hump, the front end wobbled a bit after hitting a small pothole (actually a series of divets). Lost control laid the bike down going 5mph. Grrr.

Just plastic damage, nothing major. Gonna get my friend to repaint them gloss black again.

Funny thing was that a girl in front of me crossing the road about 200 ft ahead of me, runs like there was no tomorrow. I was laughing once I picked up my bike when I saw that. I mean I did slide about 5 ft, but no way in hell would I slide 200 ft and hit her. Then again, stranger things have happened before.
Holy smoke dude, sorry to hear about that. It seems campuses are always under f'n construction :finger:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
ok i have a question sorta kinda related i guess.

is it normal for you headlight to be noticably dimmer when not driving? i know at night when i pull to a stop light or somthing as soon as i rev it it becomes noticably brighter is this normal or maybe alt going bad? or maybe i need new battery?
Yea thats normal. Its something to do with the distributer(?) taking over the load from the battery and it produces more power causing lights to be brighter. I beleive this is right, correct me were I'm wrong.

Sepias

1 - 20 of 32 Posts