Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I removed the rims and took them to a shop for tires. Was gonna bolt them on and take the bike out to scuff em a little. Do some testing and tinkering with the bike (suspension needs a lot of work!). Well don't you know that the upper caliper bolt on the rear caliper was cross threaded previously so now she is effed up. Tried to go buy a tap to take care of it, but alas, the shops that would have one were closed. At least I am finding this now with days to spare, but the shite is already happening!
Anyone else having "issues" like your front fender not arriving in the mail yet?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Cross threaded caliper and errant fairing. Ouch! :(

So far, I'm not quite to that extent... but I feel like it's just waiting to bite my a$$. Plus there's a strong sense of fragmented disorganization.... pieces supposedly coming together from 3-4 sources.

Got my wheels back with the new race tires on, but not balanced. Have to mount them to the bike so get it to the track, so I can dismount them there to get them balanced.

My simple bike transport fell through so I have to face going up my springy wooden ramps for the 1st time. :eek: Probably harder to come down them, though, which I've already done once. Slow and careful or fast and dirty? Tape at 10pm. :rolleyes:

Got my list cranked up ;) and am stacking piles in the garage.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually Joss, I have 2 front fenders. It's the only piece of bodywork I am NOT deficient in! It was more a poke at John cause he is impatiently waiting by the door for the postman to show up with the fender and steering damper.
Don't worry John, the postman always rings twice!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gosh Jon. I'd be a'skeerd to poke "get ready" fun at anybody, knowing what pranksters the track gods might be. My own precarious hold on "nearly ready" is to damn iffy. :eek: :D

You have to play real careful there. Example: I have a belly pan on the way from another GS500 racer I've never met or even spoken to except via email. Will he make it or leave me hanging? Who knows?

So last night, as a sacrificial offering, I went to Kroger and bought not one, but TWO HD roasting pans. Cost me dang near $8. So what happens? I get an unsolicited email from my guy this morning that he has MY belly pan finished and it looks even better than his! :D

Poor ol' John was still waiting on steering damper too.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The fender arrived yesterday and I painted it last night. Will install tonight and get the wheels back on and wired. Time to pack up for tomorrow's trip. YooHoo. Now if my truck will only hold together for the trip. :cool:

Mounted the damper two nights ago. :)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Heres one for ya: A buddy of mine bought a wrecked Duc 996 and spent the winter rebuilding it as a dual purpose street/track bike. He was going to meet a few of us at a friends house then take it out on it's maiden day-ride. I hear him coming up the street and go outside to have a look. He pulls into the driveway and gets off the bike, flushed and not looking good. He points at his wheel. Apparently he was on the highway, a few minutes from us, doing about 100, and he applied the brake. Unbeknownst to him, the bolts holding the right caliper had backed out. A soon as he pulls the lever- KAPOW- the caliper flies off the rotor and is now hanging by the brake line, banging against the rotor and wheel. Luckily for him the caliper didn't come off, injuring him, bleeding his brakes, and getting fluid on his front tire at 100mph!!!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Stake said:
Heres one for ya: A buddy of mine bought a wrecked Duc 996 and spent the winter rebuilding it as a dual purpose street/track bike. He was going to meet a few of us at a friends house then take it out on it's maiden day-ride. I hear him coming up the street and go outside to have a look. He pulls into the driveway and gets off the bike, flushed and not looking good. He points at his wheel. Apparently he was on the highway, a few minutes from us, doing about 100, and he applied the brake. Unbeknownst to him, the bolts holding the right caliper had backed out. A soon as he pulls the lever- KAPOW- the caliper flies off the rotor and is now hanging by the brake line, banging against the rotor and wheel. Luckily for him the caliper didn't come off, injuring him, bleeding his brakes, and getting fluid on his front tire at 100mph!!!
Ducati riders are such dumbasses. :rolleyes:

:D:p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Joss, how come the shop didn’t balance the wheels? It’s easy to balance most wheels yourself without special tools if the swingarm isn’t single sided.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html
He built a balancing stand, you can use saw horses, chairs etc. If the bearing seals have a little drag sharply twist the axle back and forth to over come the stiction.

·
Registered
463 Posts
"Joss, how come the shop didn’t balance the wheels?"

Well, it's kind of involved. It wasn't done at a tire/bike shop. The racing guy I'm riding the shirt tails of knows the guy that sells the tires out of the truck at the track real well. So my guy got the tire guy to pass him my two tires out on the freeway as they meet, because the tire guy is not in the tire truck at the time. When we get the bike to the track we'll pull the tires off and carry them over to him to get 'em balanced and I'll step up to the counter and pay. :confused: I think it makes more sense if you had seen the tires that were on the bike. :rolleyes:

One really cool aspect is that they are Metzler Rennsports and I just finished reading the tire test

http://www.tl1000.com/pb_tires/sport_rider_sep_2001.htm

which just raved about them.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Joss said:
I feel like promising the track gods that if I ever get this bike through tech successfully, I'll never change anything again. :rolleyes:
Don't do that.

You're gonna want them to just get you through parctice. Then you are gonna want them to just get you through your first race. Then......

I've been through it before.

Hell, I'm still going through it.

It never ends, but I can't imagine life without it.

Keep us posted, please. You too, funksouljon.

·
Registered
865 Posts
RCjohn said:

Ducati riders are such dumbasses. :rolleyes:

:D:p
Am I wrong, or am I starting to see some kind of pattern
with you & Ducati riders......;) :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey Funksouljon, where about do you race. I'm origenally from Pensacola and if I get a chance to get home sometime this summer I would like to go see some racing.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Oh, here is the fukking latest news! I went to pick up the bodywork. And guess what, it isn't finished? I am supposed to leave tommorrow night after my brother gets off work. WWWEEEEELLLLLLLL, don't you know the dude who is the middle man between me and the bodywork dude didn't have all the info I needed about when my shit will be done, and also kind of didn't realize that it was this weekend we were racing even though I told him several times. But it boils down to, my bodywork SHOULD be sprayed with the primer tommorrow, allowing me to pick it up. The parts I am missing are the upper and lower. Kind of important! My buddies lower is also at the same shop, but after trying to get the fiberglass to stick, he discovered the fiberglass had soaked up so much motor oil, it wouldn't take.
So, I will know something tommorrow. And on top of that, I had a really bad day.
And to answer the question before hand, I can't go to the bodywork man direct cause I 1) don't know who he is and 2) my buddy pays for the work partly in one kind of green, partly in another.
GIX, we are going to Roebling Road this weekend. That is up near Savannah, GA (sp?). There is also a track at I 10 and I 75 called north florida motorsports park.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts