Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is aimed at both the younger riders and the older riders also. When the idea of owning a sportbike (or any motorcycle for that matter) became more than just an idea, how did you deal with the parents not wanting you to get one.

In my case my parents neither ride nor understand the thrill of riding. All they see it as is a "death trap" at which point I tell them, no a CAR is a death TRAP. In my 20 years of being under their supervision I haven't had too much trouble doing what I wanted and they realize that im old enough to make mature decisions.

However I still don't think that they are going to take to easily to the whole idea of me cruising around with no "seat belt". So if you had this problem with a parent or guardian, do tell. And if you yourself is a parent or guardian I wouldn't mind hearing your side of the story.

Take care.

Kyle

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, motorcycles are dangerous and your parents are justified in their worrying. It has nothing to do with you or your maturity, it's the fact that 99% of auto drivers are morons and everytime you join them on the road you are exposed to a very high risk.

That said, riding a motorcycle is pretty fuggin' fun and an easy reminder that small joys are what make getting out of bed worth it.

But don't think that you will EVER convince your parents that you'll "be fine" on a bike. Maybe after years and years they might resign themselve to your 2 wheeled obsession. That's about the best you can hope for (unless you name is Travis Pastrana).

But dude, tread carefully. Waiting 'til your 30 to get a bike is better than totally alienating your parents over dumb shit like a motorcycle.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I completely understand that... and no alienating would be done. If they were that against it to the point where it was the bike or them...c'mon now, im not an animal.

But ive brought it up in the past and they havent been too adamently against it, after all all of my moms cousins have some form of bike or another and my dad thinks their "really cool". So who knows.

Kyle

·
Registered
560 Posts
A young fellow in town came up with a creative solution to the same dilemma. He negotiated with his parents and finally convinced his dad to take the MSF class WITH him.

Naturally, dad had such a great time that he started riding too. Needless to say, the young fellow's first bike was much nicer than what he was expecting to get :D

ALL fathers want to enjoy quality time with their sons, what better way to spend time with dad?

·
Registered
182 Posts
now that is a brilliant solution! :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
What it came down to for me was waiting until I was no longer dependent on my parents for me to get a bike. They paid for college, and I had this crazy idea that my edjumahkashun was more important than riding a motorcycle (in the long run.) They said that if I did buy a motorcycle then the rest of college was on me. I love my parents AND respect their wishes, so I didn't push it. I survived those bikeless years, though riding on the back with my friends was only partially satisfying.

I bought a bike about two weeks after I got married and we have had no less than two motorcycles in our posession since then.

Kids are in the far future, but we've already decided that while we'll supply them with pocketbikes and dirtbikes, their first street legal bike will be their responsibility. We view motorcycles as recreation and a priveledge, and want our kids to not be given everything. So, if they're 18 or 19 and can afford the bike AND insurance, then we'll support them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The idea to ask your father to take the MFS course is really smart. Before you do that, have all your homework lined up: the cost of a sensible first bike (this topic has been beaten to death here so there are lots of threads to check out), riding course, gear, and insurance. Maybe set some self-imposed guidelines: no riding after dark or on the freeways for the 750 miles, etc. Maybe if you present it reasonably they'll go for it. Wouldn't have worked for my parents though, I had to wait until I was from under their roof. :D

Good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I was fortunate in that my Dad rode on the street and in the dirt. For me getting that first streetbike in highschool was not a big deal to them. For my kids, I've promised my daughter a mini-bike when she is big enough to control it. For you, I like the MSF idea, I bet your Dad would like it also.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Parents can be tough. Mine were pretty against it, I've seen worse though. I have a buddy who right now is going through the same deal with his parents. He's in for some trouble I'd say though, they actually get upset at the slightest mention of him and motorcycles and first thing they tell him is he's gotta take up all the college bills if he does that.

Lucky for me my college tuition is waived. My parents didn't like it though. I tried the whole get your Dad into it too, was a good try especially because my parents were seperated and my Dad was looking for some father son bonding. It still didn't work though. Eventually what it came down to was when I finally got the money to get one and everything else that I needed with it I just went ahead and bought it. Parents weren't happy but since I already had it they respected my wishes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think the issues are respect, independence, and worry (not necessarily in that order). To be honest, I don't know what my reaction would be if my 19 year old son wanted a bike. So far, he doesn't show much interest (off-road trucks are more to his liking). It also depends on how much your parents "provide" for you now. Are you expecting them to pay for it? Can you swing the bike, insurance, gear, etc yourself? Probably a good idea even if you have to wait until after college.

Getting dad to take the MSF course with you is a brilliant idea if he is willing. That will either win him over or really turn him off. I don't agree with the notion "If you get a bike, you're on your own and we'll cut you off". That shows a lack of communication and being unreasonable (illogical consequences) on the part of the parents. Ask them what it would take/when it would be OK for you to get a bike. Let them answer and have a discussion. You may be surprised. I had to wait until both my mother and wife didn't care any more. Mom's almost 90 and I guess wife figures kids are almost grown now so it's OK. I never felt strongly enough about it to try to convince them until recently and by then it was pretty easy. Good luck.

·
Registered
987 Posts
For me it was simple...my folks said "Not while you're in our house!" and that was the end of it until I moved out on my own.
They came to accept it by the time I was 30, and my pop even gave me a tankbag for Christmas, one of my most treasured possessions. Now that I have an 18yr old son, I tell him "Not until you're 21".
He's my only child, and the thought of him cruising a sea of SUV's scares me, quite frankly.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had the same choice elo mentioned when I was in college. My folks were footing most of the bill and said if I thought I was independent enough to get a bike, then I was sure independent enough to foot the whole boat. That kinda shut me down. :(

At the point that I could make the numbers work, though, I went ahead. They cut me off just like they said they would, LOL, and I finished up just like I calculated I could. They were nice about turning loose of it after that, though. No continual recriminations.

I had to sell the only bike I had, at one point later on, just to survive financially. Always the hard choices. ;)

I have two sons, both old enough to ride, and I'd sure hate to lose them to some squidly accident or thoughtless driver. Losing a child must be the worst thing a parent can face. Still... they have to make their own choices. I hope they grow old and die peacefully. Not everyone does, though.

Karma, neh?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a 14 year old son, who's very interested in road riding and somewhat interested in dirt biking. We do some desert riding and have fun at it. He's already working me about getting a road bike at 16.

Here's the deal I've offered. First you get the drivers license for a car. Six months of perfect driving, then we schedule the MSF. If successful, I will provide the first bike under the condition that he ONLY can go riding with me. (A great way for me to weasel out of honey-dos) The bride isn't too pleased, nor are the grandparents, however if I keep him close by, there's less likelyhood of inexperience or foolishness tagging him.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, all great posts...

The dad doin the MSF thing IS a great idea. However, I don't think the little bikes they have there would move my dad.

I guess I should have mentioned earlier the financial situation...

I hold my own. They pay for education, as they should, and I pay for everything else. May sound rough to some but I have been working since age 12 and "supporting" my wants since I was 15. I have bought all my cars (they pay insurance since im in school). I pay for all the servicing on them etc... I pay my own rent for my house at school, buy my own clothes, alcohol:rolleyes: , etc...

I have a good relationship with my parents, i know how they think and I take that into consideration, which is why I have always gotten what Ive really worked for. I don't think its going to be a problem getting the bike, I mean im selling my mustang and that in itself will pay for the bike and first year insurance. I was just curious as to how your parents handled it. So keep em coming, people love to talk about their "Glory Days;) "

Take Care

Kyle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kyle,

I definitely understand what your going through, my parents feel the same way about riding. When I bought my first bike and brought it over to their house, my mother burst into tears. My parents and girlfriend just don't understand the allure of motorcycle riding. I don't think they will ever feel truely comfortable about me riding and probably the same will go for you and your folks. Of course everybody has a story to tell about some guy riding and has an accident, blah, blah, blah. So that makes it difficult.

Also, I just wanted to add, despite how cheesy this is, its great that your parents are worried about you. That means they care about you. I am sure there are many parents that could care less about their sons and daughters well-being. So the fact that all of us have people that are concerned about us shows that we are loved.:barf: Good luck and ride safe.

Roundel

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roundel said:
Also, I just wanted to add, despite how cheesy this is, its great that your parents are worried about you. That means they care about you. I am sure there are many parents that could care less about their sons and daughters well-being. So the fact that all of us have people that are concerned about us shows that we are loved
Well said.

Kyle

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kyle said:
...how did you deal with the parents not wanting you to get one...
My Ma said that I couldn't get one and still live under her roof - so I left home :D

This was but one of many reasons, naturally, and she's still 'orrified that I've got one, but has since asked to be taken for a spin. She must be mellowing as time passes :)

Really though, it depends on your situation - different parents will react in different ways. Some will wig out, some will give you keys. I guess you need to gauge the situation for yourself.

·
Registered
860 Posts
well...im 20 and bought my bike about 3 months ago. my parents didn't really like the idea even thought they both rode bikes. my mom used to ride an old 175 honda that my dad sent back home from japan in the 70's and she rode that till she got to close to a car and hit her knee. My pops rides and was the biggest advocate about me not getting a bike but i showed him i was responsable. i got my license thru the dmv and making a point to take the motorcycle course wich really make them feel a little better about it. My mom and dad do a lot of riding together and since i have a bike they really like the idea of me coming along. once you get your bike get some good riding gear jacket pants gloves..etc.. when i got mine and took it out and they saw all the padding and stuff they started to feel better about me riding. sometimes you have to think why i am getting this bike is it because im rebelling against my parents wishes or b/c you truely love riding and ask your self is it really worth it if i get hurt??i asked the same questions to my self and thought long and hard about it and motorcycles are just in my blood. i bought it and pay the insurance and ask no help from them financially, but none the less do what your heart tells you and be carefull out there im still learning how crazy it can be

1 - 18 of 18 Posts