Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my safety course over the weekend and today while I was out on my brand new 2002 YZF600R, I bowed to the odds and dropped it.

I was driving very well and within my limits and then I was trumped by a right turn at a stop sign...not enough speed, lost a little balance and down she went. Luckily I was going slow enough to help it down as to opposed to just letting it fall to the ground. Heaved her back up and off I went.

All in all I'm not that mad about it... kinda laughed a bit when it happened.. minor damages.. the left turn signal and mirror are a little scruffed up but not bent...and there's 3 or 4 little scratches in the fairing but no cracks. It's hard to notice anything unless you get close and look.

The way I see it, I've just added a little character to the bike.. although I'd prefer not to add anymore...

Cheers :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
First Scratches are OK!!

Up until the moment I gather my first scratches and broken stuff I am way too obsessive about the pristine condition of a new bike. It is well worth the peace of mind to go ahead and drop it right away and allow myself to relax and have a little peace of mind thereafter. I don't mind those minor flaws at all anymore and look forward to getting them out of the way sooner than later, and I have been buying new bikes for 20 plus years. Crashing them hard is different, though, after that I look at them as junk and just want to move on to my next "victim."

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Bound to happen buddy. Dont worry about it

·
Registered
627 Posts
BumblebeeTuna said:
I bowed to the odds and dropped it.

The way I see it, I've just added a little character to the bike.. although I'd prefer not to add anymore...

Cheers :)
Those odds were against you from day one. It's not a matter of if, it's when:p
Glad to hear you & your bike came out of relatively unscathed:)
Now you & your bike have character:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. It sounds as if you've got it in perspective though. Good deal on having the good sense to take the safety course. Now it's time to jump back on that horse! :)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Set of frame savers should be your next aim.

That is to say if you do not have them.
My older YZF600r had damage to can, brake lever, signal light, mirror & scratches to frame WITHOUT frame savers.
Knocked over again lighter blow to can, bit of scratching to signal light & mirror plus a mark on the frame saver, none to the fairing. Add it up & less damage with frame savers.
Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Waiting for my turn,.......

I have had my bike for about 3 months now,...been lucky so far but i think this is do to me keeping in the back of my head that old saying,....."There are only two types of riders, ones that have went down, and ones that will go down." So we will see what happens,......it would be nice to think that one can ride their entire biking carreer with dropping a bike, but i am pretty sure it is highly unlikely,.........

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
A m/c can be accidently damaged on its side ---

---without the owner/rider being on the bike.
First time was when two teen-age kids jumped on mine & in charging off one kid's foot hooked & took the bike down. They just kept on running. Next time was with frame savers & bike (in a parking lot) was knocked over by a cage driver so I am told as I picked it up. This time with frame savers & less damage.
You might be the perfect rider that never drops a bike, but step away from it & who knows will take it down. Believe me I can tell you endless stores of how riders bikes were damaged & they were never near them at the time.
Lastly on four occasions my bikes were parked & damaged in 'hit & run' while on two others the bikes were parked & I was able to find the bikes down, but cage drivers at fault also there.
Have you never walked out to your cage only to find it was hit by someother cage driver, but in the case of a car it is with FOUR WHEELS & is not knocked on its side?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I was just on another m/c board ------

----- & the owner of a new bike is peeved that when he came home to find his bike upright, but damaged. Seems someone working at the place accidently hit his bike ----- so there is another bike DOWN & the rider was at work.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Wandering around & found said beef -----

--these are just a few of his words, but here is proof that you do not have to be ON you bike for it to go down.
" Came home from work today to find my bike parked at a rather steep angle. I suspected it was knocked over or something. My neighbor came out and gave me the guys name and phone (some contractor). He was doing work of one of our shitty apartments. It looks like he may of just tapped it and it fell. The funny thing is that it fell on the kickstand side and there is no marks on the other side. Maybe a little uneveness in the exhaust where he may have contacted the bike.
"

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sell me your fairing

Hey BumbleBeeTuna...any chance you'ce replaced that fairing, and are willing to part with it. I'd like to get a new or slightly damaged one to complete a set of not perfect plastics and go custom with them all...

P.S. I sent you a PM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YZF600R Guy,

Sorry, but the couple of small scratches acquired from dropping it doesn't come close to justifying the purchase of a new fairing... it's simply the beginning of the "wear and tear" my bike will go through during it's lifetime.

Good luck finding another fairing.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts