Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going guys? Decided I might as well post a hello thread, just so people could get some basic info on me down. I'm new to the sport bike world and to motorcycles in general, but recently I have taken great interest in them. I'm still on my researching phase though before I put my commitment in to owning a bike. Reading is one thing I love to do and I've been trying to get my hands on some quality books about riding. The local bookstores carry the bare minimum on that subject, they don't even have the The Complete Idiot's Guide To Motorcycles. :wtf: Though I can just always order them. Yes, I will also be taking the NSSC Motorcycle Safety Course (Nova Scotia, Canada - Word up!). Did I mention I will end up being a gear nut? When I walked into the local shop around here I was like a chubby fat kid in a chocolate factory. :love: Boots, Jackets, Helmets, OH MY! I almost walked out with a empty wallet. :eek:

Besides my interest in sport bikes, I'm into Mixed Martial Arts, Video Games, Films and heavy doses of music (Part hip-hop head, part hardcore kid). I'm pretty much a laid back dude and love to just chill. I also enjoy long walks on the beach and fancy french wine, oui oui. :laughing:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome!:cheers:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Must admit that the new board is dramatically changed. It will take me a while to get the feel of it & be hitting the right places.

True I am not keen on advertising, but what the heck we have it on the TV, in the newspaper & you name it. At least it is basically in the line of m/cing. Though admit I have not had time to go over what all the advertising is about. After all it is close to my bed time & only reason I am up this late is because I am retired & with a broken hip since Nov. 29 with nothing to do but be on the PC, Reading (which is not as easy now for my left eye is usless & with screwed up depth of preception when I have finished one line I do not know if I will come back to the start of the one lower to the left or way off line).

Reloading ammo, cleaning my h/guns & one friend picks me up each Sunday to go up to the indoor range for some target shooting & besides I do a lot of teaching when it comes to handeling h/guns to even reloading.
------------------------------------
Risky Biz do you have a Second-Hand book store in your are or next town/city to you? If so then wander around & see if they have a m/c section which could be hardly used m/c regular magazines to manuals on different makes & model of a few yrs ago to even MOM on some bike-------all can be of help to you once you get to reading them & into the lingo of the m/c world.

Still feel free to ask us some questions. For some of us have had some months to some yrs to many years in the m/c world, in my case it is 51 yrs of which 42 were in competition & practicing plus being part owner of several m/c shops to also going in to help correct a m/c shop up to where it would not go belly-up.

I to am a fellow Cdn but way across to the province of B.C. in the Okanagan Valley which is the interior, though bit south of B.C.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes, and Smitty, I will definitely go check out some of the second hand book shops around here.

Anyone have suggestions on what some good Magazines are?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I currently read Motorcyclist, rider, and Cycle World, with the last being my favorite by far. I also liked Bike, which is a Brit mag, but its pricey for us americanos.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Get yourself a subscription to Motorcyclist, Cycle World, or SportRider. It only costs about $10/year and you can really learn a lot from them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Note that RiskyBiz lives in Canada so when you quote him prices they are all much lower in the States then in Canada. No kidding living in Canada food, clothing, magazines, books, cages to m/cs to m/c parts are more costly. Even Cdn Bombardie made in Cdn & often getting a boost of extra money to stay in business, for our Cdn taxes, when it comes to snowmobiles are sold to the AMERICAN Distributors to dealers is at a lower price then they are sold in Canada & lastly the m/cs to cages are more in Canada then in the USA.

I NEVER try to quote an American a price of a used bike, though I will say our m/c taxes in this Province of Canada are so much higher then in anyother part of Cdn or the USA. Mind you if asked then I put it down in dollars.

Also when quoting speeds I might be riding at I know only the Americans are on the old system so might say max speed on this hwy is 80kph------50mph so Americans will understand.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Gang I hope you will realize that Risky Biz lives in Canada where everything from food, clothing, cages, m/cs to m/c parts are HIGHER in price then the USA.

Fact is even Bombardier being a 100% Cdn maker when they run into money matters the Fed Govt will fork out Cdn tax payers money to keep them going. Yet when it comes to the price of snowmobiles it is a lower price to Distributor to dealers in the USA then to the same in Canada. Or think of a m/c mag be it American or British it is higher in price. EVEN Canadian Cycle magazine writen & printed in Canada has a higher price to fellow Cdns then to Americans.

I never try to quote a price of a 'used' bike to an American for their costs are always lower. Mind if someone asks me the price of insurance where I live then I will say "It is the highest in this Province of B.C. then any Province in Canada & well over what you Americans pay". Now if someone is really curious I will put down the exact price for 12 months in dollars.

Like when I am on a post about my speed or the speed of this highway road I will say something like 100kph----60mph for only the USA is with the old system so I try to have them understand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, the magazine prices are ridiculous here. Thanks for the suggestions and thanks again for the welcomes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts