Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's new as in refinished and upgraded since last years Re-Mod #1. Put a lot of new goodies and refinished everything from wheel to wheel and everything inbetween. here's some sneak peek photos:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
:drool: That is pure hotness :thumb:

·
Registered
227 Posts
:jawdrop: :love: :drool: :drool:

I think I just had an accident after looking at that...you need some high resolution photos up, because I need a new desktop! :love: :love:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sending this in to Sportbike.com to see if they would like to feature it on their site. I just got a call from them after submitting my information a couple months ago when I started on the project. We'll see wht happens....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great job on the bike and especially the paint. Would you mind sharing briefly the steps you used to get such a nice paint job. (if you did the job yourself)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tsunami said:
Great job on the bike and especially the paint. Would you mind sharing briefly the steps you used to get such a nice paint job. (if you did the job yourself)
The paint is Candy red sprayed directly on to the carbon fiber body. I did apply some silver metallic at the bottom of the bodywork to get the brightest possible red, and sprayed the upper portions with only the Candy red to let the carbon show through fully. I also masked all the lettering when spraying the red to leave a clean representation of the carbon under all the paint and clear.

Painting carbon Fiber is not easy, as it has a tendency to resist the paint wherever the weave is not tight enough or the resin is not completely sealed. This results in pinholes showing through the paint and ultimately making the paint work look like craters on the moon, so many. many coats of paint and clear have to be applied and sanded and applied and sanded and.......

Thanks for the kind comments guys, all the hard work pays off just by hearing that my work doesn't suck! Anyways, that's the gist of it, now I need to see what else can be done to keep the obsession fed...

Dan T

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little room for the DT996: the gentleman next to me on Ducati Island - Laguna Seca, with a brand new 1098 was forced to move his baby after she was getting leaned on too much by people trying to get photos of my bike. We were taking turns every hour asking people to stay off the bikes until he moved his away to a safe place - he's the yellow 1098 to my bikes' right (left in the photo).

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
10-9-8's are so amazing too. I can imagine the attraction you two create together.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
superman6696 said:
like everyone else already said, the bike looks amazing. If you don't mind me asking, how much time and $ have you put into it?
I did all the work myself, except for mounting the new tires and the Ceramic coating on the exhaust. Everything else was done on a very tight budget: I got all my paint at wholesale due to being a 20 year customer at my paint supplier. Alot of parts were aquired through Ebay and the rest I spent a great deal of time scouring websites to find the lowest price possible before making the purchase.

Bottom line turned out to be around 3K, and time wise - I spent 6 weeks total getting all the components rebuilt, refinished, and reassembled. I spent four weeks getting the frame, wheels, and other things painted in Black Chrome, but that process failed at the final step, so I went with a black over that that looks very trick in the sun. I spent 6 days on complete assembly from the frame up, followed by 4 VERY intense days of bodywork fitment and paint. I placed the last pieces on Thursday night, and rode it on Friday the 20th to Laguna Seca at 5 am.

It was an arduous task, but knowing the final result would be a great ride and make for some good conversations kept me motivated enough to work every night till 2-3 am just to make the deadline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
damn, thats awesome. I wish I had time to do half of the stuff that you did. I definately think that the way you went about getting parts was the best way possible, if your not in a rush to get them.
I hope your enjoying it now that its all done!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts