Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the lowdown on the big Gixxer 750....Now, I know that this is the suzuki forum, but I would appreciate honesty...I am looking into getting a Gixxer 750....I have heard and read about different issues people have with theirs(tranny, 2nd gear, etc..). I don't want to buy a problem, but I like the Gixxer 750...I am a newbie, but I am taking the MSF courses, I am 5'10", 200lbs and 25(soon to be 26) years old...I think I am pretty mature and sensible...anyways, I would like for Gixxer 750 owners to be upfront and honest with me about the bike and if it is a good bike for someone like me.....remember, honesty people!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
QuikMike said:
I need the lowdown on the big Gixxer 750....Now, I know that this is the suzuki forum, but I would appreciate honesty...I am looking into getting a Gixxer 750....I have heard and read about different issues people have with theirs(tranny, 2nd gear, etc..). I don't want to buy a problem, but I like the Gixxer 750...I am a newbie, but I am taking the MSF courses, I am 5'10", 200lbs and 25(soon to be 26) years old...I think I am pretty mature and sensible...anyways, I would like for Gixxer 750 owners to be upfront and honest with me about the bike and if it is a good bike for someone like me.....remember, honesty people!!!!
Well, I ride an older 600 Gixxer, so I can't give ya any info. re: problems...BUT, I would like ya to reconcider, getting a smaller bike, even if ya weighed 275lbs. that 750 has WAY too much power, and even if ya rode conservitive, it's the varibles, that get ya into trouble, i.e your natural reactions, one twist of the throttle, at the wrong time, a panic stop, all the a-holes that try to bait ya into gasing it. I'll not harp on this subject, tho I'd like too, for your own good..still a 500, or SV650 would be a MUCH better choice. The street is a whole new world, and at times can be very unforgiving, and even fatal. Please reconcider. And for the 1 or 2 of you out there, that started on bigger bikes, and will no doubt, have a rebuttal, there #'s don't lie...you may have dodged the bullet so far.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok hold on there. I think the Gixxer 750 is a fine choice. Don't let someone persuade you to get a smaller bike because they are afraid to ride theirs. I started on a Honda VTR1000 as the first bike I EVER rode. I am glad that I did, because it allowed me to start easy and build my way up to the good stuff as I aquired the skills (wheelies, burnouts, ...). On the other hand, if I had started on a 600, I would have out grown it too soon and be pissed off that I did.

If anything, I would suggest getting a bigger bike (gixxer 1000). What the hell? Your responible, and know when to back off the throttle right? My gixxer 1000 is just what the doctor ordered. Lots of power for when you want it. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it - if you don't want to.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
ponyboy said:
Ok hold on there. I think the Gixxer 750 is a fine choice. Don't let someone persuade you to get a smaller bike because they are afraid to ride theirs. IGood luck.
Who said anything about being affraid to ride their bike?? Duh, wanna borrow my glass's??? You have no idea, how I ride, just cause ya got a liter, it doesn't mean that your, skilled, fast, or any better than a rider on a smaller bike, by the way, have you, or CAN you test the limits of that Gixxer??? I didn't think so.. First, I have Mike's best interest in mind, I'd like to see him, or anyone else, ride for a long time, and w/o any problems, what your suggesting, is to invite problems, so who's best interest are you lookng out for, it certainly isn't Mike's if it were, you wouldn't make that statment. Would you also recomend a 180 mph car for a new driver???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Give me a break! If the guy is - as he stated - a responsible person, he should be able to figure it out.

As for your personal attacks on me, yes I can ride my bike thank you very much. Riding at the track is something I do several times a month, and have attended 4 racing schools in 2 years.

I was just trying to save the guy from buying something that he is going to be unhappy with. Everyone is entitled to an opinion Osama!

:twofinger

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
ponyboy said:
Give me a break! If the guy is - as he stated - a responsible person, he should be able to figure it out.

As for your personal attacks on me, yes I can ride my bike thank you very much. Riding at the track is something I do several times a month, and have attended 4 racing schools in 2 years.

I was just trying to save the guy from buying something that he is going to be unhappy with. Everyone is entitled to an opinion Osama!

:twofinger
Me attacking YOU, :confused: read you post again...

Just because someone is a responsibe person, doesn't mean that they will be safe, remeember the varibles. Maybe a new rider could get away with a 600, 750, or even a liter, but why take the RISK. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra $$ for a bigger bike later, then take a chance of spending it on medical bills, or worse..a funneral..maybe you are the exeption, but 99.99% of the new riders NEED a smaller bike to start on. So..I'd ask you to concider the big picture, not just the $$ factor, after all, we talking about someones well being, not to metion the FUN factor:D Doe this make sense??

Guess I did come down a little hard on ya, but there have been so many negitive things happen with new riders starting out on fast bikes, and wind up crashing ect.....Sorry for rant

·
Registered
3 Posts
No hard feelings. Your probably right, I guess I am just really big on the money factor. When you buy a bike and try and sell it too soon, you usually end up losing cash on the deal.

Its good to get all sides of the issue, so I do appreciate your responses and your views on the topic. I hope nothing bad happens to anyone while they are riding (new or experienced).

:)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
At 5'10" and 200lbs with responsible control you could handle the horsepower of a 750cc Gixxer. It is not typically a good starter bike. It does have some characteristics that can get you in trouble. The way they deliver power can make them difficult to learn on. I wouldn't worry too much about the reliability issues. There doesn't seem to me many problems with the Gixxers that are well maintained and not overly abused.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but.

Last year when the GSXR750 came out, it knocked all the critics on their collective asses and won Bike of the Year honors in all (most??) comparisons. It was compared to the 929 and the R1.
In both the 1/4 mi and top end the Gsxr750 beat the litre bikes!

You can't compare learning on it to starting on a VTR cause they're not even in the same league.

The Gixer is not a good starter bike, ( it may be the closest thing you can get to a perfect track bike) the same as an R1 or a 929 wouldn't be an ideal starter bike.

A VTR1000 would be a better choice, but I'd personally look a an Kawi 750 Ninja.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Another good starter bike, although a little on the heavy side might be a Bandit 1200. The money you save on the purchase price could be used to upgrade it as your skills inprove.

Just a thought

P

·
0 Posts
Griff said:
A Bandit 1200 as a starter bike???

It will get a new rider killed just as quickly, if not faster, than a GSXR750. It is most definitely NOT a beginners bike either.
I have to agree with Griff on this one. Yeah, in stock form, the Bandit 1200 makes about 20 less horsepower than a GSXR750, but peak hp on the Bandit is still 101, and it happens at 4000rpm earlier than the GSXR. Not to mention a boatload more torque down low, to get you in a shitload of trouble.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
man, i wish activebike.com was still with us. that guy could put this into words like no one i ever saw.

if you want to ride and have an okay chance of not crashing, and you really just want a bike to tell people that you have one--buy the 750. i mean it's not that much worse than an r6 and a lot of people say an r6 is a perfect starter bike.

btw, i'm not slamming people who buy bikes because they want to say they own one. a lot of people do that and they help flood the market with cheap, used, 1 and 2 year old bikes when they move on to the next thing.

if riding is something that you want to do for a long time, buy a nice used dual sport bike or an older standard. something that is cheap. if you wreck it, oh well. if you don't, you'll get 6 months to a year of riding a bike that'll cost you nothing but tires and gas.

buy a 750 and crash it, you're screwed. first off your insurnace company will total it quickly. one scratch on the frame and it's totalled (for real).

if you want a big bike, try a 600 katana or the yzf600 (non-r6). both bikes are built on a 750-sized frame. both will whip a camaro's butt. also the gpz/kz550 are great bikes, that won't cramp you. the gpz750 (non-turbo) is another neat choice. i like the looks better than the ninja 750 (i.e. non-zx7), yet they are very similar bikes. then you have the seca ii. the list goes on and on.

as a 750 owner, i can tell you the 750 isn't forgiving. i've done 3 race schools, i have raced part-time for 2 seasons, and endurance raced a 96 750 (which isn't that different from the 2000) this past season.

btw, i'm also 5'10 and 200+ lbs. yet, i my racebike is an fzr400. and honestly, i think the 750 is too much bike for the street. i'm not afraid of it, but i hate the fact that bike is well into "lose your license" speed before it's fun to ride.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
ponyboy said:
Ok hold on there. I think the Gixxer 750 is a fine choice. Don't let someone persuade you to get a smaller bike because they are afraid to ride theirs.

It has little to do with fear of riding a bike. It has everything to do with experience and doing everything possible to ensure that a new rider LIVES past the first 12 months of riding.

I started on a Honda VTR1000 as the first bike I EVER rode. I am glad that I did, because it allowed me to start easy and build my way up to the good stuff as I aquired the skills (wheelies, burnouts, ...). On the other hand, if I had started on a 600, I would have out grown it too soon and be pissed off that I did.
The VTR cannot be compared to any of the GSXR's. Not even in the same class.

If anything, I would suggest getting a bigger bike (gixxer 1000). What the hell? Your responible, and know when to back off the throttle right? My gixxer 1000 is just what the doctor ordered. Lots of power for when you want it. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it - if you don't want to.
Are you insane? I ask that quite honestly. Responsibility is far less a factor than simple lack of experience riding. No responsible rider would ever recommend a bike like this for a newbie.

Ya know, this argument isn't really worth having, as I know you're going to come back and tell me how talented you are, how fast and responsible you are, and how you're never wrong. So I'll just leave it as it is. I've said my piece though I think Mike is going to go and get whatever he wants anyway. :rolleyes: Chalk up another person that asks a question and then doesn't listen to the advice and recommendations of people who have been there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Pete said:

I have to agree with Griff on this one. Yeah, in stock form, the Bandit 1200 makes about 20 less horsepower than a GSXR750, but peak hp on the Bandit is still 101, and it happens at 4000rpm earlier than the GSXR. Not to mention a boatload more torque down low, to get you in a shitload of trouble.
I stand corrected. I meant better choice over a gixer rather than a good choice for a starter bike. My thoughts were that it seemed that for poser value he could tell his friends he rode a 1200, and beat them in a straight line, which is all alot of people care about. yes the bandit has alot of power, but it comes on less suddenly, and the steering is less touchy than a Gixer.

As for a good starter bike for a heavier person, I still think a 5-10 yr old 750 wouldn't be too nuts, if he were carefull. They're cheap, go good, and you can ride it for a year and sell if for what you paid for it. The money he saves can go into some good leathers and boots that he can keep as he move up into a new bike. ( Plus they'll look cool at the donut shop) If the guy's stuck on a new bike and a 600 is too wussy for "poser" value, try a Kawi ZX7R.

BTW, I do not think any of the top end 600's are ideal starter bikes, they produce as much hp as the older 750's, are much lighter, and react to inputs much to quickly for a inexperienced rider.

personally I'd recommend used, or a SV650.(SUZUKI). which is considered to be one of the FUNNEST rides out there. which is after all what riding is all about.

·
Registered
380 Posts
QuikMike said:
Perhaps I'm the only one who read your post... You asked about the issues with the gixxer, not on whether we thought it was a good choice for you.

As a Y2k gixxer 7 owner and now 1000 owner I can attest to the reliability of the bike. I put 20k miles on mine in a year and a couple months. No real problems. Had the secondary throttle cable fray, FI light came on before it broke and the dealer removed it and ordered a new.

Beyond that, only little issues, one of my fairing stay holes stripped out, but was easy to fix, and my battery went dead (this is the desert I was stupid to think it would last forever.) and that's it. Period!!

Do your service intervals and you should have no problems. Second gear was an issue on some bikes, but mine was just fine, doing power wheelies and drag racing frequently.

Good Luck,

Glad I could answer the question and not ram my too big a bike/too little bike opinion down your throat:hurl: .

P Diddy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am glad that someone finally replied to my questions about reliability....I really like the Gixxer 750, but I have talked to too many knowledgeable folks who have 929, 12Rs and the likes and they all say that they wouldn't own a Suzuki with a cheap whore's money....and their opinions means a lot to me...The Gixxer 750 is a great track bike, but for the street, it just ain't cutting it....I think I will look at getting a R6, F4i or ZX-7R...one of the three....not offense intended...but thanks for the input though!!!!....

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: The Lowdown on the Gixxer 750

Paul 750 said:

Perhaps I'm the only one who read your post... You asked about the issues with the gixxer, not on whether we thought it was a good choice for you.
Glad I could answer the question and not ram my too big a bike/too little bike opinion down your throat:hurl: .

He didn't ask whether we thought it was a good bike for him?! I guess a few of us misunderstood the implied question in this statement of his, then:

"I am a newbie, but I am taking the MSF courses, I am 5'10", 200lbs and 25(soon to be 26) years old...I think I am pretty mature and sensible...anyways, I would like for Gixxer 750 owners to be upfront and honest with me about the bike and if it is a good bike for someone like me"

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The Lowdown on the Gixxer 750

Pete said:

He didn't ask whether we thought it was a good bike for him?! I guess a few of us misunderstood the implied question in this statement of his, then:

"I am a newbie, but I am taking the MSF courses, I am 5'10", 200lbs and 25(soon to be 26) years old...I think I am pretty mature and sensible...anyways, I would like for Gixxer 750 owners to be upfront and honest with me about the bike and if it is a good bike for someone like me"
Okay, let's read that last line all together....."I would like for Gixxer 750 owners......

Who here has one??? Oh yeah, I do.

P

1 - 20 of 65 Posts